Do you have / admire Charisma?

by The Rebel 34 Replies latest jw friends

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

"Charisma is a certain quality of an individual personality by virtue of which the person is set apart from ordinary people and treated as exceptional". As a kid I was afraid of such Charisma, as it was usually the quality I noticed elders, head masters, and parents had to exercise with unloving authority over me.

But now i think about it "charisma" doesn't need be only for people with authority. " charisma" is something even we can have? So " charisma" doesn't need be only for the person with satisfying answers to our questions. Charisma can come from the person who simply nods their head, but has no answers....and what makes this person exceptional? Well this person never takes the bait, never gets into the religious and political arguments, but just feels good about the life they were given and has the answers in ways we have to observe to understand.

Do you know people with such a Charisma? Personally i have found when I get to know such people they are far from ordinary, and they often have and contribute with very satisfying answers on life.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Do you have / admire Charisma? - I don't have charisma. I don't admire it in others, either.

Do you know people with such a Charisma? - not personally, no.

Lots of 'bad' people can have charisma. Look at Hitler. Some of his speeches, while having awful content, were presented in a very charismatic way. And he was a very bad bastard who did very bad things.

'Good' people can have charisma, too. Take Muhammad Ali/Cassius Clay. He had oodles of charisma and coolness but he managed to racially abuse Ernie Terrell and Floyd Paterson. He also insulted Joe Frazier by first denying the latter's blackness and then by insulting it in a very crude, childish way (in the build-up to their first fight, Ali had called Frazier an 'Uncle Tom'; prior to their third fight Ali had called Frazier a gorilla).

Ali's charisma and vanity led to him carrying for far too long in boxing, culminating in that awful beating by Larry Holmes. Ali's Parkinson's Syndrome was caused by repeated punches to the head over a period of more than 20 years.

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

LoveUnHateExams " Lots of bad people have charisma, look at Hitler" ...." good people have charisma too, Take Muhammad Ali"

The Rebel. And my point with the O.P is we can all have charisma, even a man simply fishing alone by a canal on an Autumn morning can have charisma.....and you walk further along that canal you will find the bird watchers, and then walk further along that canal and you will find the dog walkers, and both groups are good people.However if you get to know them as individuals, you will find they have charisma...or at least what I call charisma.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

a man simply fishing alone by a canal on an Autumn morning can have charisma - canal fishing by oneself isn't being charismatic.

bird watchers ... dog walkers ... blah, blah, blah ... - where's the charisma there?

I think it's helpful at this stage to post a definition of charisma from a reliable and highly acknowledged source.

Charisma (mass noun): Compelling attractiveness or charm that can inspire devotion in others: 'he has tremendous charisma and stage presence' (http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/charisma).

Just as a reminder, people who lack charisma (that'll be me and most others) are not necessarily boring.

I think you're confusing 'being interesting' with 'charisma' ...

• compound complex
    compound complex

Greetings, The Rebel:

Whatever makes one attractive to others -- looks, manner, intellect, talent -- can be boon or bane to the holder. In many a situation, a friendly, outgoing individual may capture the heart of another individual (or, many) and be quite incapable of reciprocating in the measure the starstruck one expects.

Onstage as a performer for many years, I have a little experience with audiences. They can love you but forget you once you're offstage. Or, they may hate you from the start. It's a difficult road to hoe, that of a performer.

It's like the adoring masses who worship a public figure and see only the outside. What would it be like to live with that "beautiful" person?

Anyway, mon ami, that's an aspect of charisma, as I perceive it.

I always enjoy reading you . . .

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I have observed people with charisma, a few people have it, how they use it is up to them.

You cannot buy it, or learn it. Even the people that have it often do not know why.

Some people engineer situations to make it appear that they are charismatic, but only the shallow are taken in by such frauds.

Why do you want it ? you cannot control who it draws to you, in the case of a number of famous charismatic people, Ghandi, John Lennon etc, people who wish to kill you are drawn to you.

You are either "cool" or you ain't, and it can be a blessing or a curse either way.

• Island Man
    Island Man

Charisma is just a pretty wrapping. A pretty wrapping can house a chocolate bar or a turd.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Yes, I have been told that I have charisma. I don't tend to see it until I see video of myself. It can be a two edged sword though. You can draw people and/or you can intimidate people when you have strong charisma. I think there is a passionate, electric and sometimes a vivacious quality that can cause magnetism and a more intense presence to an individual. There are different types of charisma, too, I have observed. One kind is sex appeal, or what my friend Andy calls a natural sex vibe. With others is is an intense passion for life. Some charismatic people have a natural sparkle or glow to them. Confidence can radiate a kind of charisma.

I find myself more drawn to the "passionate for everything" kind of charisma.

That avatar there to your left is me. When people figure out that it is me, they tell me they thought I chose some famous person's picture for the avatar. In reality its just a photograph my son took of me, that I put Billy Jack's hat on, that accidentally got cut in half when I tried to upload it to another site. I liked the cut in half look, so I kept it. I don't know what causes my charisma or if it is present all of the time, such as days when I feel tired or weary. It can work for me in sales, and with most people, but it can also work against me. I'm not saying that I am exceptional. It's pretty typical for the ENFP - Myer Briggs/Jung personality type to be a bit on the magnetic/charismatic side. A lot of ENFP's are famous actors or writers or involved in the entertainment field in some way. From Human Metrics:

Famous ENFP's

• compound complex
    compound complex

That's you, FHN!

Nicely and honestly stated. You're radiant but neither overpowering nor intimidating!

Love . . .

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Thank you, CoCo.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit