Dutch State secretary reaction about abuse report and argumentation judge

by Gorbatchov 15 Replies latest jw friends

• Gorbatchov
    Gorbatchov

There is no escape at the moment, even at McDonalds this afternoon:

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

It doesn’t seem very tolerant to me. I prefer the British press and public figures in general at least using the standard descriptors. The negative terminology detracts from the serious subject somehow. The focus should be on the causes for concern and anger rather than name calling.

Dutch is strangely intelligible for not understanding a word of it.

• Gorbatchov
    Gorbatchov

I think the use of the word "Jehovah's" give a good impression how the common Dutch public thinks about jw.org

The respect is fully gone now and that's not the fault of the public.

The organization is living at another planet, there imago is blown away.

Strange thing about Dutch (Holland) people is that we learn and speak English very fast and efficient and we feel very related to the UK and the USA.

G.

• Anders Andersen
    Anders Andersen

My 2 cents as a Dutchman:

Whenever newspapers use 'jehovas' JW do perceive it as hostile and disrespectful.

I'm not quite sure the media intend it that way too.

"Jehovah's Getuigen" is simply way too long for the limited space in newspaper (headings). Many people also really don't care about it. Do people and media in the US pr UK normally say 'Mormons' or 'Church of the Latter Day Saints of Jesus Christ'?

It's not really intentionally hostile or offensive; it's just that people don't care enough about all those wacky religions that have strict preferences about how they want to be named.

Side note: The official spelling rules say proper spelling in Dutch is "Jehova", not the English "Jehovah". Many media use official spelling, much to the chagrin of the 'Jehovas'

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

I realise that sexuality, and CSA are two different things. I really find this difficult to express properly, in terms of, how on one hand the Dutch are one of most liberal societies in the world regarding sexuality, yet on the other are more strict at setting acceptable standards of right and wrong. Its a good thing to see that they have drawn a very definitive line here. I hope others will follow.

• Anders Andersen
    Anders Andersen
    I really find this difficult to express properly, in terms of, how on one hand the Dutch are one of most liberal societies in the world regarding sexuality, yet on the other are more strict at setting acceptable standards of right and wrong.

It's not even complicated. The keyword is "consent".
    As long as all involved parties are fully informed, consenting adults, they can do whatever the hell they want when it comes to sex. Nobody else needs to interfere. That's your "liberal".

Of course, children cannot consent, and a skewed power balance (for example when a 16 y/o is 'in a relationship' with a 35 y/o) makes proper, fully informed consent impossible. That's your "strict".

Again, the keyword is informed consent.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit