No Need To Preach In Every Country Anymore

by pale.emperor 38 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney
    Hasn't the org been saying that for years?

I've been out over ten years, but I seem to remember a distinction being drawn between "land" and "nation." Something along the lines of "land" meaning a general geographic location as opposed to "nation," which is defined by modern boundaries and not by the borders that existed when Jesus roamed the Earth. Therefore, a witness isn't required in every nation as they currently exist on a map today.

I also seem to remember an assembly talk that proclaimed that Matthew 24:14 had already been fulfilled and the Witnesses were just waiting for Armageddon to come any day now. I remember receiving a JW chain email about it a year or so after I stopped attending meetings. That email is what prompted me to do some research online to verify whether there was any truth to the email. I discovered this forum as a direct result and I've never looked back.

• joey jojo
    joey jojo

Heres some rough mathematics.

According to the 2018 Grand Total report on JW Org;

2.1 billion hours per year are spent preaching. An average of about 20 hrs per month per publisher. (sounds a bit padded to me).

It requires 7746 hours of preaching per year to create one baptism.

The population of the world increases by about 80 million people per year.

The amount of preaching needed to convert just the population growth each year would be about 59.6 billion hours. About 30 times the current amount.

We know 80 million people per year are never going to become JW's, so thats 80 million people per year that have to die needlessly at armageddon for every year that 'the end' is delayed.

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

Maybe they heard of the Evangelicals travelling to those native islands off the coast of India, only to have deadly spears, bows and arrows welcome them.....the Sentinelese?

Time for 'new light'...

From surprising personal experiences, there are Westerners who haven't heard of JW's, never-mind the hundreds maybe thousands of rural tribes globally.

It was easy in the 80's to throw stats about translation figures alongside pictures of awkward, aged, Westerners in foreign lands preaching, with 'and the whole world will know that you are Jehovah' jn a quote next to it.... Now with the internet, not only does a clued up JW know that they are nowhere near known or preaching in all countries or 'lands' .... there are not many JW's in turbans preaching to the vast number of humanity in the middle east and are banned in Russia and China.

Also, a quick google search shows gods name deffo aint even Jehovah....lol.... so so so embarrassing

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    zoos remember something about their referring to "community responsibility", which I think (and always did) is totally unjust and unfair. What if a really kind, loving, self-sacrificing, humble, truth-hungry person happened to live in a "bad" community and this person never received a witness? Is he going to get a hailstone between the eyes at the big A?

This ^^^^^^^^^ They’ve stated that the leaders of these countries under ban bear responsibility for their people’s death. Whaaaaa? The punishment is death for the people and death for the leaders, what is fair and just about that?

Not to mention the millions of unborn children who will be terminated.

seems to me Jehovah is a typical abuser..blames the victim.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Magnum spoke of Community Responsibility and I have heard that expression too within the J W World as an excuse for what is properly termed “collective punishment” I.e. the punishment of a whole community for the crimes of a few ,or its leaders.

They say” The people are in agreement with the action , they deserve to die”. This is as bad as claiming that all Jews are responsible for the death of Jesus ! It is a principle used by the Nazis 80 years ago and has since been denounce as a war crime.

Under the 1949 Geneva Conventions collective punishment is considered a war crime. "No general penalty, pecuniary or otherwise, shall be inflicted upon the population on account of the acts of individuals for which they cannot be regarded as jointly and severally responsible."

So The J W god is claimed to be no better than a war criminal on a par with Adolf Hitler or Saddam Hussain.............. As the apostle Paul might have said “ Never may That Happen!”

Dubs don’t seem to see it though ( sigh!)

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

"To all the world"

What did that mean to those people when those words were written?

It related to their understanding of the expression in their own immediate environment. They were not thinking of Australian Aboriginals. They were considering only their own immediate environment.

Read Romans 1:8 and also Romans 10:18.

These people were not writing to us, nor for us, nor about us. Understand their writings in the context of their time.

Doug

• Darkknight757
    Darkknight757

If that’s true then it makes sense why the sit and pick their ass at the cart and tables and do nothing to save people with their “message of salvation.”🤨

• Half banana
    Half banana

Quite right Doug, "the world" meant "the known world" back then, not the whole planet. Most people indeed would not have been aware of the spherical nature of the Earth. Conceptually the world was a flat disc with the Roman conquests around the Mediterranean and the peripheral lands such as Scotland, India and the Sahara with the map centered on Rome.

After the Roman state had sanctioned their approved holy texts, mainly in the fourth and fifth centuries CE, they forced the masses to support their fusion theology. The Bible began to take on a privileged role becoming independently sacred. Sacred meant divine and supernatural, the word of God-- and people looked to the Bible and overrated its magic.

The WT society trades on this twist of divine magic and happily quotes from it without reference to its context and original meaning. They and other faiths use it as if it all hangs together in exquisite unity. However, sadly the whole of the Bible is purely human in origin and quite literally full of paganism, absurdities, flaws and contradictions. There is nothing wrong with paganism, which just means folk tales-- but to base your life on "divine" absurdities and contradictions is a big mistake.

One of these errors is that Paul, living in the first century could never have (honestly) said-- Rom 1,8 "all over the world they are telling the story of your faith". Firstly because in the first century when Paul was writing, this was not true even for the Roman world let alone the whole world since there were so very few "Jesus" Christians in the first century. I do not know of know of any text anywhere which supports Jesus as the saviour until the late second century. (The Christ figure back then was merely known as "the Lord" or indeed "the Christ"). It looks very much like an insertion into Paul's text at a much later date and probably from the fourth century when they began writing an official and highly partisan history of Christianity.

• iwantoutnow
    iwantoutnow

Again - I found NO such comment in that WT.

What an idiot elder says is often not what is in the literature.

Has anyone else seen anything in that WT that supports this claim?

• sir82
    sir82

what is properly termed “collective punishment” I.e. the punishment of a whole community for the crimes of a few

,or its leaders.

Yes, this is what the WTS uses when pressed about the impossibility of everyone receiving a witness, and the absolute unfairness of God annihilating someone for failing to act on a message they never heard.

I'm pretty sure there was at least one "Questions From Readers" on this back in the 60's or 70's.

It's also what is used to justify the recorded genocide carried out by the Israelites in Canaan. It was entirely "proper" and "loving" to slaughter thousands of infants and babies because their parents were doing "pagan" stuff.

It is of course perfectly nuts, and as noted, exactly what every regime which has engaged in genocide has used.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit