Independance day.

by zeb 20 Replies latest jw friends

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

Every day since I faded is Independence Day! Freedom actually is free!

just saying!

• jws
    jws

And RIP to our first and second presidents, John Adams and Thomas Jefferson. Who by strange coincidence both died on the same day, July 4th, 1826 - exactly 50 years to the day after the Declaration of Independence was signed.

• stillin
  • jp1692
    jp1692

What I appreciate about this day is the idea that we (Americans) are celebrating the DECLARATION of our independence from the tyranny of an oppressive dictator, not the attaining of it. That came later.

As ex-members of a cult, we can and should celebrate the day we reclaimed our personal independence and left the cult. We can do so even if the process of leaving was long and painful leaving us with emotional scars that last perhaps even until the present.

We may carry the scars of our wounds for the rest of our lives. May they remind us of the price we were willing to pay for our personal freedom of mind and the integrity of our conscience.

Happy Independence Day to all ex-JWs!

• Wild_Thing
    Wild_Thing
    What I appreciate about this day is the idea that we (Americans) are celebrating the DECLARATION of our independence from the tyranny of an oppressive dictator, not the attaining of it. That came later.

It's kind of like celebrating the day you sent in your disassociation letter or the day you decided to never return to the Kingdom Hall. Just because you decide to leave doesn't mean you know what freedom is.

• Brokeback Watchtower
    Brokeback Watchtower
    Most of the time but certainly not all of the time it is better not to be in servitude to a foreign power. In that sense I look at July 4th. Did it give the people here more freedom, improve the economy, I think so but I'm not a historian and neither am I a loyal patriot, but I will take the time off with pay and enjoy the holiday, hardly any traffic anywhere must be everyone is staying home this 4th.
  • freddo
    freddo

Mrs. Thatcher is sending a gunboat as we speak.

• snugglebunny
    snugglebunny

If it wasn't for Independence day, Americans would still be driving on the correct side of the road.

• sir82
    sir82

And RIP to our first and second presidents, John Adams and Thomas Jefferson.

2nd & 3rd, actually.

-- Sir82, Pedantic class

• jp1692
    jp1692
    WT: Just because you decide to leave doesn't mean you know what freedom is.

Au contraire, deciding to leave is the first step toward freedom and away from oppression—out of the cult.

As the saying goes, “The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.”

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit