The reward of being a nice guy!

by StephaneLaliberte 11 Replies latest jw experiences

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte

Today, an old JW friend came to visit a member of my family who is still active. I saw them leave together to run errands. When they left, she didn't say hi and barely looked at me.

After taking care of my cores around the house, I noticed that the sister had forgot to turn off the head lights of her car. So, I called them on my relative's cell phone, but the sister thought they could probably be back in time before the battery would run flat. Well, that didn't happen. The battery died. So who was there to save her day and give her a boost? ME!

She was so nice with me, making small talk and smiling and laughing, just like in the good all days.

I tell you, there is no greater pleasure than being a nice person to them making them realize: How come he didn't become a complete dick? He hasn't been to the hall in so long; shouldn't he be bad by now?

• FreeGirl2006
    FreeGirl2006
    Great story! So nice when we are able to show former friends that we are still human, still have good hearts.
  • DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

You are a nice guy. I might have had a hard time being so gracious.

Doc

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter
    I'm glad you did the right thing rather than taking your 'right' to feel bad about her treatment of you.
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

Most of them will still ignore you after your good deed.

As for her, I would have told her that "this apostate did what you would have never done" - help her out.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

It's like they are surprised you haven't sprouted horns and a tail, and when you are the same nice person you were before they can't get over it.

• wannaexit
    wannaexit
    Good for you for rising above. I hope the sister remembers your good deed.
  • Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim
    It's always best to do the right thing. Being a Captain Obvious here,lol.
  • steve2
    steve2

What a great example of you choosing to be effective over the need to be right.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Well, you were only able to help because Jehovah made you, a sinning apostate serve his worshiper...

(sarcasm alert)

No, seriously, they simply don't know how to react when we are normal, nice friendly and helpful! They have been conditioned to think that everyone who doesn't go to meetings must be a raving loony...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit