Use of Tablets During Meeting

by Simon Templar 11 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Simon Templar
    Simon Templar

As I seem to remember, In April 2010 I bought one of the first iPads. I saw the virtue of using it immediately. It was WiFi. At around the same time watchtower.org and JW-media.org were made available to the public although a little bit later on as I recall. I would take hard copy publications or parts of them to work, scan them, get them into the Books app via email and use them at the meetings. The Congregation which we attended had many people attending which were poor. One of the Elders was a Bethelite. After I made it a habit (about a month or two) to attend the meetings with the iPad and use it (or at least look at it) rather than a publication, the Bethelite gave a Local Needs talk. He lambasted the use of "modern appliances" at the meeting rather than a book. He clearly stated that this was a "showy display" of one's wealth and background (I was one of the only ones there that was University educated),and it was "unloving" to conspicuously use these devices in the KH in front of the brothers or to even own them. I was the only person that owned one, and the entire talk was directed at me. My wife was fit to be tied. I felt sorry for the man really.

About 2-3 weeks later the Bethelite was sitting up in the front of the KH with an iPad! They gave him one at Bethel. He used it for various purposes. One of them was to time talks and then turn around the iPad and hold it so the person on the platform could see it and know they are out of time. He made a comment at a meeting shortly thereafter that we need to "keep up with technology so we can further the preaching work". This is in direct conflict with what he had said from the platform 3-4 weeks before. I saw him after the meeting and asked him if it was now okay to use an iPad at the meetings and he told me it was. Like that was some kind of a green light.

Right then I decided that I need to get out of there and fast.

• talesin
    talesin

So that was the 'straw that broke the camel's back' for you? That's great, and what a memory to have. And what a JERK that brother is. : )

(your screen name always gives me a smile, The Saint... : )

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW
    Every time I read of IPads being used at the meeting I always think back to when they were admonishing the brothers from the platform to stay away from the Internet, yet at the time they were doing that they already had a website. I asked someone doing cart work about and mentioned the scripture about "not being a part of the world" sounds like the Borg just gave up and joined the world regarding social media. She couldn't give a clear answer as usual, saying yes we still believe in not being a part of the world, "then why are the Dubs so heavy into Ipads and the using the computer" because so many people are using them know, "so you are backing down on the script about being a part of the world"? NO she says, then just round and round and round in circles with her answer, like they all do
  • joe134cd
    joe134cd
    I have got a very similar experience to you. I had the bible reading on the TMS. So I decided to print of the bible reading part and read from that on the stage. Purely because I found it easer to read. I got counciled from the plat form for doing so. Oh if only I knew then what I knew now.
  • cha ching
    cha ching

Funny, SimonT.... the same exact thing happened at our hall... "No tablets, that's worldly"..... then "surprise!" .... it's "ok"..... and as another thread you are made to feel guilty if you are 'not keeping up' with Jehovah's Chariot... that fast moving organization!

PS, my sister's hall had a School servant like yours... he would hold up the ipad to show "time is up"!

• dbq407
    dbq407
    We had an elder that used one on stage a few years ago. Then a letter from the society was read that they shouldn't be used on stage but could be used in the audience. A year later the light got super bright and they were allowed to be used on stage! Such a fast moving crazy train :)
  • Quarterback
    Quarterback

Yes I remember this happening with us too. I remember the DO slamming the use of Technology. I think I bought my Ipad 4 yrs ago, and some in the cong had some looks at me. We went through a stage of plugging the big Bible, and Elders should use them, then the frigging Big Bibles became too heavy and ackward.

• wifibandit
  • WTWizard
    WTWizard
    Given the way they hound people to quit their decent jobs and throw away their savings into the Worldwide Damnation Fund, no one should be able to afford these devices. You are looking at a week's pay (or more) for some of these devices, and the washtowel insists that people should be donating their money to world damnation instead. And, if they are willing to steal money that was to be used for an ice cream cone, why not steal the money for a device that costs between 200 and 400 ice cream cones?
  • HowTheBibleWasCreated
    HowTheBibleWasCreated

I always ued my tablet since 2013 summer when I noted several witnesses at conventions use them. I already knew God, bible, JWs was crap but this was cool... lol... So I brought one and used it during the summer. An ultra-righteous missionary friend of mine said:" You need to use the printed bible not the devil's version".

However after October 2013 with the JW app in 2015 I asked if he had a tablet: I'm saving for it.. I need time." What a devil lol.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit