Evolution is a Fact #7 - Human Egg Yolk Gene

by cofty 26 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Island Man
    Island Man

"Are we (modern technological culture) effecting an eventual biological change, by rejecting 'nature' and turning to substitution for mother's milk? In other words, will we 'lose' the ability to lactate, as more generations of babies are not fed from the breast? In effect, 'use it or lose it'?"

That is a very good question talesin. It's the kind of question that reveals you have an understanding of how evolution works. What you're asking seems like a biologically plausible possibility but might require some other conditions for it to become a reality. Maybe if the human population got decimated and became very small and those who did not breastfeed had a survival and reproductive advantage over those that did, then yes it could happen.

Somewhat related to your question, it might interest you to know that there is a high incidence of lactose intolerance among East Asians. The reason for this is that they stopped drinking milk regularly like western cultures do and as a result, when a gene required to produce lactase - the enzyme used to digest lactose - became damaged, because there was no selective pressure to keep the healthy genome, the damaged genome became pervasive. There may have even been selective pressures to keep the lactase-deficient genome. For example, herding milk-producing cattle, might have slowed down a nomadic tribe fleeing from murderous pillagers or owning milk-producing cattle may have made the tribe targets of pillaging.

However, people in the west continued to rely on milk so there was a selective pressure to keep preserve the healthy gene and weed out defective versions that popped up.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim
    The human body has always demonstrated to evolve into its environment.
  • smiddy
    smiddy

Keep them coming cofty

smiddy

• talesin
    talesin

Thanks, very interesting.

No, I did not, Cofty. Sadly, I know that men can get breast cancer, but wow, that's kinda incredible. You have the equipment, but it's like 'the switch is turned to off'. We all start out as female when we are zygotes (physical organs), so makes sense. (ha, now I'll have to read more about *that*). : )

Island Man, just read your comment. Thank you, great examples. I've noticed other things about foods and general health, differ between cultures (ie, Inuits eating mostly fat, no high cholesterol; my people, needing hard physical labour for optimum health).

Ah, the more I learn, the more I realize how little I know. That was the only thing about *forever* that I could wrap my head around as a child ---- imagining being a student, forever. : )

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

"The reason for this is that they stopped drinking milk regularly like western cultures do and as a result, when a gene required to produce lactase - the enzyme used to digest lactose - became damaged, because there was no selective pressure to keep the healthy genome, the damaged genome became pervasive."

Isn't that Lamarckism?

• SecretSlaveClass
    SecretSlaveClass

Clambake:

What Cofty is doing is sharing his knowlege with those interested. I find it incredibly generous of him to put in the time and effort to do so. Perhaps you could put your efforts to derail his threads to better use by sharing your knowledge and teaching us something? I'm astounded as to why anyone would turn their nose up at a chance to learn something -anything- at the cost of nothing more than a few minutes of their time.

Thanks Cofty, really enjoying these lessons. Keep 'em coming sir!

• talesin
    talesin

TheOldHippie --- BAM, just learned something new! Evolution was not Darwin's theory, it had been posited long before - again, interesting! And was the earlier researcher, also a "Darwin", related?

Reading on Lamarckism now. Tks.

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

Well we are now on Coftys series " Evolution is a fact" pt 7, and I I have contacted the Jehovers Witness London Headquarters in Edgware for a responce and submit the reply:-

Dear Apostate Cofty , thank you for your thoughts on Evolution, please understand we want you to be our friend, but the bible is our only authority in addition let us look at a scripture for proof evolution is wrong " in the beginning God Created the earth". And that is proof enough for us.

Therefore dear Apostate your posts on Evolution have a luck of scriptural support to support your thinking,. This is clarified because as keen bible students we only use reference supported from the bible.Therefore with what " little time remains before the end of this system" we suggest you repent and accept that Jehover is in fall control.

Please accept our warm Christan love and best wishes, with one final thought EVOLTION is an EVIL-ILLUSION.

Sadly I once believed that bullshit.

The Rebel.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

you have chosen to flood this board with science lessons we didn’t ask for.

Though I did not "ask for it", I have read some of them and intend to get to them all, as time permits. It certainly seems better researched than anything ever published by WTS.

And, Cofty, thank you for NOT knocking on my door unannounced and uninvited to deliver this information (even though I do enjoy reading it).

As far as NO ONE asking for these posts, I'd recommend what I do for the post of a few members that I have determined to only post BS/useless info -- I don't click on them.

Doc

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

I'm pretty certain you can see a vestigial yolk sac on a human fetus ...its called an umbilical vesicle...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit