Amway founder dead at 92

by neat blue dog 20 Replies latest social current

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

https://www.snopes.com/ap/2018/09/06/amway-founder-magic-owner-richard-devos-dies-age-92/

I've heard people say Amway was a little culty for a business, and reminded them of JWs in some ways. I'm not familiar with Amway myself, can anybody here elaborate?

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

Yup. Cult cult cult.

Amway is a big hitter in the cult department. And it is heavily loaded with born again Christian rhetoric

My brother and his wife were heavily involved years ago and they both were impossible to be around at the time. They spent all their money and holidays traveling to the Amway conventions and would return with glazed eyes and talking about God DeVos. And stacks of "motivational" cassettes they would play in the car instead of listening to the radio like normal people do.

Big time cult - the cult of money liberally seasoned with religious overtones

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

Sounds nutso.

• Apostate Anonymous
  • sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

I knew a woman that became a JW because it reminded her of her amway days.

She met a longtime inactive JW was love-bombed big time by his JW friends, they married and it was her who got him interested in his religion again because (as she herself would put it) she loved her amway and loved the witnesses!

• EverApostate
    EverApostate

I I was dragged into an Amway meeting once. A friend of mine was in Amway. He invited me just to attend a business meeting and said that I need not get involved if I am not interested.

He drove me in his car. Amazingly on the way, he listened to Amway Audio tapes on his car stereo, which was all about motivating, spreading and marketing the Amway products.

When I was at the meeting place, the same Love bombs happened, as in a JW meeting. People seemed to be so genuinely interested in my earnings and boosted me that I can earn a lot.

Same confessions from the Podium like… I achieved this, I became rich, Amway is good and so on. Finally a pot luck dinner was served. All this happened when I was a JW. It still didn’t strike me that my religion too is a cult like Amway.

Perhaps I didn’t realize the modus Operandi of cults back then

• Londo111
    Londo111
    They served a pot luck...there's a big difference there. There is rarely food at Kingdom Halls.
  • sir82
    sir82

There is rarely food at Kingdom Halls.

LOL.

And when they do (Memorial), you can't eat it!

• EverApostate
    EverApostate
    sir82, that was Hilarious.
    And when they do (Memorial), you can't eat it!
  • neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

There was goody night for the old book study. Now, there's large meals for pioneer schools, elder school, attendant school/convention practice, CO visit, at times for the public talk speaker, basically anything other than a regular meeting.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit