My son just got a serious job offer

by Captain Schmideo2 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Captain Schmideo2
    Captain Schmideo2

and it looks like he will be accepting it.
    He will be teaching English as a second language in Shenzhen, China. It's with a company that works with the public school system out there.

His salary includes an apt (most likely shared) that has utilities and internet included, and looking at cost of living (after the rent he isn't paying) it looks like he will be able to put money aside every month.

Not bad for a kid his age-travel to the other side of the globe, meet new people, get paid, and get experience. I am going to miss him.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

My sympathies; he had been seeking a job as a comedian, wasn't he?

• Captain Schmideo2
    Captain Schmideo2

Gee Nate, what did I ever do to you to get this kind of comment?

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Hey...great news. Congratulations! Glad it's China. I suspect that the students in Shenzhen will show your son great respect and he will get all kinds of experience while there. All the best to him. At least you will be able to Skype regularly since internet is included.

• Captain Schmideo2
    Captain Schmideo2

...and Skype is one of the few apps that isn't blocked by The Great Firewall. :)

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I must have misunderstood our earlier voluminous correspondence; I thought the contrast between seeking a job as a comedian but being offered a serious job instead was pretty hilarious. I laughed and laughed and laughed and laughed, then I passed out, then I awoke and laughed and laughed and laughed and laughed again. I'm quite tired now.

Still, that comment was completely out of line, and I can understand your utter devastation at having it land in your lap as it did.

Your next fortune cookie will contain a different massage.

• zeb
    zeb

Neih Hei.

I hope he gets used to eating all meals with rice. A young friend of mine went there for two stints and quickly got used to eating rice and lost a stack of weight and she also now speaks Chinese.!

All the very best to both of you. A word of warning do not take a bible into China if he is inclined to do so.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

That's great news! You will miss him but it's a wonderful opportunity for him and it won't be forever. You can go out and visit, a new country to explore! It's always bittersweet watching our kids move on isn't it. We want them to do more than we've done with our lives but we miss their company.

• smiddy
    smiddy

Great news Schimideo2

• ZAPPA-ESQUE
    ZAPPA-ESQUE

Great news + you get have the economic benefit of one less mouth to feed ! Remember he is writing the script of his life movie and you only get the role of an extra from here on in !

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit