Breaking: Beards in The Watchtower

by neat blue dog 38 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

BB. You should hear the recent comments locally on dirty beards. No way a past feeling among the elders.

As for narcissism standing looking in front of a mirror to cut all the little hair off your face surely is

Has anyone looked on jw talk?

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

I'm sure the loosening of the rules will be welcomed by Italian brothers and sisters.

• jayjay78
    jayjay78

vaping will be ok'd next

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Hmph.

Ten bucks says this is just another tug on the leash.

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog
    By the way GB member Van Ambergh had a beard up until his death about 1947.

He was the last part of the overlapping beard generation, hence the only reason he was tolerated by Rutherford.

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog
    we have to stop living in the past . . . the WTS used to have an issue with beards. . . . But things have moved on. . . . Nowadays a neat beard is perfectly acceptable

I don't know about that. JWs with beards exist as a very small percentage, but in most of the world they are viewed as not being in good standing, and even in the rare cases they are you don't see them in the publications . . . At least not yet.

• BourneIdentity
    BourneIdentity

I’m not aware of any US congregations that allow a brother to hold privileges with a beard. A brother could be a sterling example always commenting at meetings and out on field service, but wouldn’t even be allowed to rove with the microphones, because they are a “bad example”. They will guilt you to an extreme in order to get you to shave it off.

• mikeflood
    mikeflood

I remember that in an really old JW book, Jesus didn't even had a beard! That was so until they recognized their mistake. Maybe the tide receding.

• jonahstourguide
    jonahstourguide

Yes mikeflood. I have some old jworg calendar cover pages and from what I can see, the good guys were clean skins up to about 1968.

On a 1971 calendar beards were being worn by the good guys including jc.

I think it was due to a Questions from Readers query on that very subject around that time. You know, when jw's did actually study the bible and did meaningful research,,,,,,,,that woke many of us up.

jtg

p.s. Here in Melbourne Australia beards are still frowned on by many Elders and they will not allow a visiting speaker to address the cong if he sports a trimmed beard. Even a mustache draws attention and criticism but is tolerated.

https://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/85625/comments-you-will-hear-2-20-05-wt-study-late-posting

This post, if you scroll down refers to the wt articles re beards. Excellent work by Blondie.

The 1968 wt article in conclusion actually states that men may wear beards in paradise!!

Old light becomes new light!?

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

There will just be several elders spread around that will take the WT pic, be more "upscale" brothers, have the beards very well trimmed and otherwise "examples." Especially after being on the Zoom thing now.

An extremely well trimmed beard, from an elder that contributes a lot, will do very well when the CO visits. You will see.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit