Memorial date

by DomineIvimus-DI 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• DomineIvimus-DI
    DomineIvimus-DI

Can someone please help me with this, if you’ve looked into it before?

I read somewhere that the witnesses didn’t celebrate the memorial on Nisan 14 according to the Jewish calendar. I did a quick google check - seems next years memorial is on Tuesday (Nisan 13) rather than the Wednesday, Nisan 14 according to the Jewish calendar.

Not sure of the sources, but can anyone reconcile this discrepancy? Is there something I’m not seeing?

Thanks

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

The days were counted as starting at sundown so after sundown on Nisan 13 is the start of Nisan 14

• DomineIvimus-DI
    DomineIvimus-DI

I would have thought that the Jews follow the same today though?

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

In a semi-recent WT they explained why they differ from the officially recognized calander:

The calendar is based on moon sightings and so isn't entirely consistent. In modern times they use telescopes to find the first known glimmer of the waxing moon, which spells the start of the month. However the GB doesn't agree with this because there were no telescopes in Jesus' time. So they count from when a sliver of the moon is first visible to the naked eye.

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

In the 12/15/2013 Study WT, the study article that includes page 18 discusses whether the Memorial should be held on Nisan 14 or Nisan 15. The WT holds out for Nisan 14. But see this write-up that argues that both dates are moot for Christians.

• DomineIvimus-DI
    DomineIvimus-DI

Bobcat thanks, there are some brilliant points there. I am going need some time to go through it and follow all the links. Many thanks for your research

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

Shouldn t we all use the sighting at at Jerusalem? They didnt have time zones

• St George of England
    St George of England
    Shouldn t we all use the sighting at at Jerusalem? They didnt have time zones

They do use Jerusalem these days, years ago it was when the first sliver of the new moon could be seen over New York!

George

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

When we were active in our Dubishness, we were proud that our only annual religious observance was The Memorial.

Now, having evolved to the level of almost-fully-woke apostates, our only annual event is to regurgitate the rhetoric about whether the WTB&TS is able to figure out WHEN Nisan 14 occurs.

Sisters and Brothers, I DON'T CARE! ...and really, neither should you!

Come, kiss Hank's Ass with me!

Click here

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

If Jesus had just said to hold it sometime during Easter Week when the kids are out of school it may have eliminated the controversy.

Rub a Dub

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit