Dress and grooming

by stuckinarut2 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

I know this is an old topic, but it came to mind again...

Yes it is appropriate for people to dress neatly and respectfully for a dignified religious gathering, but why does it have to be a full suit with collared shirt and tie?

Why does it have to be a full dress or skirt and jacket?

Sure, we would find it distasteful for a person to arrive in swimwear or work overalls or other inappropriate attire, but why does it have to conform to strict standards?

One characteristic of a "cult" is that its members must "dress in a way that conforms to dictated standards"

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

WT's dress code isn't about dressing "appropriately" it's about every other petty rule of theirs it's about power and control. They enjoy getting people to jump through hoops just because they can.

There are certainly enough examples in the bible where Jesus broke the social rules of the day to heal, speak or hangout with someone on the do not heal, speak or hangout with list that indicate that Jesus didn't give a rat's ass about what a person looked like.

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

Yup. When I was first waking up this particular part of the B in BITE didn't even register with me because it was just so normal to me. I didn't even realize how controlled was until I was awake for a while.

When I was still a fully believing JW, I had a conversation with a worldly workmate in which it came up that I needed to change into a shit for a meeting and she asked me "you can't just go as you are? They won't accept you?" The question made no sense to me at first but I just went off about how it is a sign of respect for god. No thought given to the fact that it doesn't require a full suit to show respect - I've gone on job interviews (in an office setting) dressed much less formally and I've gotten compliments on my attire (got the job too) so why is this full suit required? Particularly in the summer or while working parking at the convention in 100+ degree heat? It's all about control. It's all training you to blindly obey. Getting you conditioned to do exactly as you're told or expect consequences. As JWs love to say - faithful in what is least, faithful in what is most. Just replace faithful with obedient/controlled.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

I actually thought this the other day and wondered what would happen if I went back to meetings but wore jeans or pants everytime I went and see what would happen. If they told me to change into a skirt and I said something like "no thanks I'm fine in what I'm wearing."

I mean what could they do? Would they really push it or just let it go?

It would be an interesting test case, would they post a dress code sign at the entrance to the K H?

I doubt they would have the nads to do anything.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Right on joe!

Control is what is least, control in what is much!

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Haha sparrow! They would immediately class you as having a "bad attitude" or a "rebellious ,contentious " attitude, and you would be watched very closely!

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

That's the point, that's the worst they could do, but, how they view me doesn't scare me anymore.

Also, if alot of people started pushing the envelope on these rules what could they do- put out a sternly worded WT.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

It would certainly cause a stir sparrow....

Ah, but why waste your time going back just to do that?

Go out and enjoy life...have a coffee with friends, take a walk in the forest, go for a drive...don't waste time going there just to cause a stir....

• aboveusonlysky
    aboveusonlysky

"I had a conversation with a worldly workmate in which it came up that I needed to change into a shit for a meeting"

best type error ever one eyed Joe! The required dress code is apparently the same as the meeting content and the organization. there must be a proverb that says something like 'you can't groom a shit'

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

I wish someone could find and post a picture of the styleguide / picturebook of clothing that is appropriate vs. inappropriate when visiting Bethel, which is a FACTORY!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit