"Get Out" - Best Picture Nomination for 2018 Academy Awards

by Gayle 11 Replies latest social entertainment

• Gayle
    Gayle

About a type of cult - not religious. Just a movie. However, about had several earmarks of a cult. Mind control, falsely making friendship for gaining sex slaves, willing to kill, even slaves willing to kill, false fronts.

Many, after one finely discovers a cult, one can spot others, of any kind, more easily.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

The transferring of one person's consciousness to another person was the most interesting aspect to the movie - I thought anyway. All in all a great movie with a new twist on a few different issues and the horror genre.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

While I didn`t mind the movie per se and sure it had the cult spectre about it I certainly wouldn`t nominate it for best picture for 2018 Academy Awards and I really don`t see how it relates in any way to the JW religion.

But hey that`s just me.

• cofty
    cofty

We go to the cinema quite frequently and I would have to say 'Get Out' was one of the most disappointing films of last year. It is basically a satirical commentary on the reverse-racism of liberal, middle-class America.

It was clearly going to get nominated by the virtue-signalling sycophants of the Academy.

• Tara N Seals
    Tara N Seals

That should read "liberal, middle class WHITE America."

Virtue-signalling irks me, too.

I said me too; LOL.

Smiddy, I believe anyone from Oz or Kiwi Land would have a problem "getting" the real thrust of the movie.

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

I thought it was ok, nothing special. Not particularly original, either. The premise was essentially a rip-off of "Stepford Wives".

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

Yeah, KS good comparison to Stepford Wives. The political aspect is just silly it was a cheeky little horror movie plain and simple not shakespeare.

I agree the best picture nom is a stretch and a half.

• Giordano
    Giordano

I saw it the other night. Thought it was terrible. The two lead actors were excellent in their roles as boyfriend girlfriend.

I have seen different versions of the same story dating back to to 1956 and The invasion of the body snatchers. '

A small-town doctor learns that the population of his community is being replaced by emotionless alien duplicates.

• John Davis
    John Davis

How in the world is Get Out anything having to do with a cult?

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

About a type of cult - not religious. Just a movie. However, about had several earmarks of a cult. Mind control, falsely making friendship for gaining sex slaves, willing to kill, even slaves willing to kill, false fronts.

Many, after one finely discovers a cult, one can spot others, of any kind, more easily.

Most people I know loved that movie. I didn't. I'm just sick and tired of that racial shit that's going on in USA. Why on Earth do I want to watch more of that crap and pay for it.

I wouldn't say it has a parallel with a cult at all. Unlike in a cult, the black people in the movie were not brainwash by persuasion; they were surgically altered to serve white people. That's not exactly how things happen in a cult.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit