Living with Islam

by fulltimestudent 71 Replies latest social current

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

Indonesia is a large nation to the North of Australia. More than 250 million people live there, and around 204 million (88%) are Muslim. The Indonesian armed forces have nearly a million personnel, either as active servicemen or reservists.

Australia, with a population of 23 million, and an armed forces of 80,000 (active and reservist), has no choice but to live in co-operation with Indonesia, though the relationship is sometimes strained. Most recently, because Indonesia insisted on executing two Australian citizens convicted (without doubt) of drug smuggling. The transit of refugees through Indonesia has also been an issue. On the other hand, many Indonesians recall Australia's (sort of) support during their struggle against a tyrannical Dutch military effort to regain control of their empire after the Japanese occupation in WW2. The Dutch launched a major offensive against Indonesian freedom fighters in July, 1947 and in support militant Australian wharfies banned Dutch vessels and vessels taking munitions and equipment to Indonesia.

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

Indonesia is 11th in importance in terms of Australia's International trade and presents many opportunities to Australian companies who wish to take advantage of favourable agreements that have been made between the two countries. At present, the terms of trade are in Indonesia's favouras this video explains.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjO287J76zg

But to take advantage of the trade opportunities there has to be some sort of rapport between the two nations, so that's an area that is impacted by any negative attitudes to Islam. So when I read comments that all Muslim's are bad, I wonder what suggestions that type of person may have for handling an international relationship like that of Australia-Indonesia?

• Simon
    Simon
    So when I read comments that all Muslim's are bad.

Where have you read those? Or are you taking people's valid criticism of bad practices by some Muslims as applying to all?

Like claiming that all Chinese are bad if some children are abused working in factories.

Can we criticize mistreatment of Chinese children? Why not Muslim girls and women?

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent
    Simon: Where have you read those? Or are you taking people's valid criticism of bad practices by some Muslims as applying to all?
    Like claiming that all Chinese are bad if some children are abused working in factories.
    Can we criticize mistreatment of Chinese children? Why not Muslim girls and women?

-------------------------------------

I started thinking about this problem late last week. This was the incident that made me think.

A family group of Indonesians tourists were walking in the city. An apparently Australian woman walks past the group and spits (very deliberately) on the ground in front of them. The Indonesians exchange a few words with each other and walk calmly on. Quite a few people noticed, but only a Chinese guy spoke up. He said to the woman, 'What did you do that for? They didn't harm you, did they?' The woman didn't have the guts to own up to her attitude, and claimed she just happened to spit at that particular moment. I caught up to the Chinese guy and asked why he bothered to speak up. He explained he came from Singapore, that there were a lot of Muslims there (16% actually) and that there were very strict laws about abusing anybody, and he felt that what the woman did was wrong.

It so happened that a few days before that, the new Australian PM had been in Indonesia. The President took him to visit a local market (and, I acknowledge it could've been carefully planned), and here's a pik of them both being greeted by Indonesians in the market :

Market day: President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo (right) and Australian Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull greet people at Tanah Abang Market in Central Jakarta on Thursday. Jokowi took Turnbull to the market to show him the largest textile center in Southeast Asia and demonstrate the close ties between the two countries. (Antara/Muhammad Adimaja)

Here's the caption from the Jakarta Post: Market day: President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo (right) and Australian Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull greet people at Tanah Abang Market in Central Jakarta on Thursday. Jokowi took Turnbull to the market to show him the largest textile center in Southeast Asia and demonstrate the close ties between the two countries. (Antara/Muhammad Adimaja) -

( See more at: http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2015/11/12/jokowi-takes-australian-pm-tanah-abang-display-affection.html#sthash.DdNXL9rO.dpuf )

The Australian woman (mentioned above) is certainly not typical of Australians, Indonesia is a favourite holiday destination of Australians (although, I will agree many Aussies behave badly and that some Indonesians are also badly behaved - not talking about religious behaviour) and albeit that Bali, the most popular holiday resort, is far more Hindu than Muslim.

Also, there are some extremist Indonesians that have committed atrocities. Here's a list complied by someone on Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_terrorist_incidents_in_Indonesia

The worst attack, on a nightclub in Bali killed 88 Australians and over 100 Indonesians. Three of the convicted terrorists responsible were sentenced to death.

No-one wants to die (unless your basic instincts are perverted by religious dogma).**

As humans we have to find a way through this difficult time. I'm not pretending that I know a way to do that. I don't! But I also think that (and this answers part of Simon's question to me) talking and some respect is likely to achieve more toward the changes that are needed. Nor am I suggesting that the west is without fault. Does anyone recall the war that France waged against Algerians seeking Independence from France in the period roughly 1954-1962? Lots of Algerians were terrorised. Did that matter?

And another past experience. It occurred after WW1 when Britain and France took over Mesopotamia (now called Iraq) and Syria respectively. The Brits were after cheap oil, the locals wanted to be an Independent state.

The 1920s British air bombing campaign in Iraq
    By Marek PruszewiczBBC News - 7 October 2014"An uprising in Iraq in May 1920 united Sunni and Shia briefly against the British. It was put down, but required the deployment of more than 100,000 British and Indian troops. Thousands of Arabs were killed. Hundreds of British and Indian soldiers died. The military campaign cost Britain tens of millions of pounds - money it could not afford after the Great War. ... A new way of controlling Iraq was needed, and the man who needed it most was Winston Churchill. As war secretary in Lloyd George's coalition government, Churchill had to square huge military budget cuts with British determination to maintain a grip on its mandate in Iraq.The result became known as "aerial policing". It was a policy Churchill had first mused on in the House of Commons in March 1920, before the Iraqi uprising had even begun. ...
    ... More than 90 years after the RAF's first bombing campaign in Iraq, and 70 years since it flattened German cities in World War Two, does the legacy of "aerial policing" still persist? For some modern historians the answer is an unequivocal yes. They see the US strategy in the Middle East, Afghanistan and Pakistan as the direct descendant of that original British campaign."
    reference: http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-29441383

So if you need to ask who started this? Its not hard to find an answer. How pertinent is the past to the present? Whatever conclusion people come to may affect how long this problem persists.

** I never had to face the blood issue personally or for my family. But I would've found it hard to accept death when there was a cure. I mention that as a reminder that we have all belonged to a fanatical religious group, at least in principle).

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

I have lived in Muslim and non Muslim lands. Good, bad and ugly in all. Different lives. But I felt safer at 1am alone in Cairo after the revolution than I did in NYC at any time in any neighborhood. The only violence I experienced in Cairo was from a Christian who was kind of paranoid. He aimed a loaded gun at me when he didn't know who was at his door. He didn't shoot, so that's good.

I accidentally left 3500qr(about $1000) and a BlackBerry in my office over the weekend and while it was cleaned by a crew (Muslim, Christian and Hindu) it was all there on Monday when I returned.

Everyone tried to help me, gene r ally and most depths had a women's line or office. Much easier and nicer offices than men had.

OTOH, disabled people were just recently accepted in public(severely) and facilities were often not accommodating, even govt offices and health care. That bothered me the most, however, I learned that enormous amounts of progress happened rapidly.

The young adult generation was the last of the racists since the good schools had locals and south Asians represented and the locals were being tutored by Indians and pakis. Once they weren't drivers and Nanny and maids, respect happened where before the best attitude was a kind of noblesse oblige. Education is amazing.

OTOH, I'd starve to death in Pakistan or die of food poisoning. Eh.

• barry
  • Ruby456
    Ruby456

http://news.sky.com/story/1568455/change-in-recording-of-anti-muslim-hate-crimes

Tuesday 13 October 2015

Anti-Muslim hate crimes will be recorded as a separate category for the first time by police, David Cameron has announced.

The move brings Islamophobia in line with anti-Semitic attacks, which have been recorded separately for some time.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

How pertinent is the past to the present? - we can go back further, if you want.

In the 16th century, there were thousands of Muslims at the gates of Vienna. What were they doing there? Were they on a sight-seeing holiday?

By the early 8th century, most, if not all, of North Africa was conquered by Muslim Arabs. Do you think this was done peacefully? That the local Berbers rolled out the red carpet and said "please rule over us"? Or do you think it was done by the edge of the sword?

Both Christianity and Islam were spread by shedding blood. Christianity has for the most part grown up, Islam is still a rebellious teenager.

You might enjoy the following essay:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3328005/Shadow-bloody-past-centuries-Islam-Christianity-locked-brutal-conflict-forgotten-horror-historian-argues-jihadis-s-real-today-Middle-Ages.html

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

ha ha ha loveuniHateExams - i hope you intend this to be tongue in cheek

Christianity and Islam were spread by shedding blood. Christianity has for the most part grown up, Islam is still a rebellious teenager.

christian lands are up to their ears in securitization, and it may be argued if you are applying a sequential method, that christian lands are perhaps in their dotage while Islam is in its adult phase (excluding ISIS of course)

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

christian lands are perhaps in their dotage while Islam is in its adult phase (excluding ISIS of course) - also excluding:

1. Hezbollah

2. the entire Saudi government

3. Hizb ut-Tahrir

4. the Muslim Brotherhood

5. Hamas

6. Al Qaeda and its various affiliates

7. Taliban

8. Al Muhajiroun (UK)

9. Sharia4Belgium

10. Al Shabaab

11. Abu Sayyaf

12. Jaysh al-Islam