Climate Change - True Believer or Skeptic?

by Simon 129 Replies latest jw friends

• hybridous
    hybridous

How often have you (as in anyone reading this) actually changed your mind over any subject?

Actually, I'll bet that many readers here had that very experience, concerning a rather weighty matter, at least once in their lives.

• Incognigo Montoya
    Incognigo Montoya

I keep hearing "the sea levels are rising", and yet, all these cities that sit at the waters edge, aren't underwater. The beaches I played at as a kid, still have the same high and low tide levels. I agree with everything you've stated, Simon. I've been skeptical all along. Science is always finding some new variable, or new data, and change their minds every decade or so. Fact is, we've only been accurately measuring temperatures for the last 100-150 years. The earth wasn't near as populated back then. Thermometers weren't as widespread, and certainly weren't as accurate as they are today. Also, inhospitable climates were rarely, if ever, visited, much less measured in temperature. Scientists can pull cores out of sea mud and ice, and give us all sorts of data and speculation, but that's all it really can be. Now, I truly believe it's in all humans best interests to make as little impact on the environment as possible. I think looking for other sources of clean, renewable energy, and creating new technologies that more efficiently utalize those energy sources, is important. Always a balance. The earth is in constant evolution. Constant cycle. We've only been around for a blip of it. The sky is falling, sells ad space, and gets politicians elected. I am a skeptic, who strives to take care of the environment, and create as little pollution as possible.

• Coded Logic
    Coded Logic

The oceans have risen an average of 3 inches worldwide since the 1990s. This is demonstrable with measurable accuracy and is not contested by anyone in the field. Asserting that it must not be happening because you haven't personal noticed it is not a fair argument.

https://climate.nasa.gov/news/2329/nasa-zeroes-in-on-ocean-rise-how-much-how-soon/

And low lying cities are starting to see this. Miami is flooding more and more regularly. And sand has to be trucked in to build up it's beaches higher and higher. The longer this goes on for, the more problems with flooding were going to have from rising sea levels.

• Incognigo Montoya
    Incognigo Montoya

Oh, and I am always open to changing my mind, if someone can show me inconclusive data that disproves my line of reasoning.

Media is a business. Climate change and severe weather gets viewers, and sells ad space, i.e. creates revenue. It is in their best interest to create headlines that grab attention, and "record setting" is a tried and true one. Anyone notice how in the last year or two the media has picked up on and exploited naming winter storms? Like they're Hurricane's...

And speaking of hurricanes, of course they do more damage as time goes on. Populations increase. More people build more homes and businesses which creates more wreckage from the storm. 100 years ago, coastlines weren't as populous. Infrastructure now stands where open land once was. If no one was living in a flood plain that flooded, no one paid it any attention. Now a flood plain is populated with homes, and a powerful storm floods it, suddenly it's an unprecedented disaster.

Anyway. I'm am always willing to change my mind, if someone can, beyond a shadow of doubt, prove otherwise.

• Incognigo Montoya
    Incognigo Montoya

So, in 25 years, as of that article, the sea has risen 3", except on the west coast of the U.S. where it has actually fallen, and they dont know if it's due to natural cycle, the expansion of warmer waters, ice sheets melting, or some other natural cycle they are unaware of. 25 years of data. Wheres the data 25 years before that? Or the 25 years before that? Or the billions of years before that?... prove to me that it isn't a natural cycle.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Climate change : I`m a true believing skeptic .:The climate is always changing that`s why we have different seasons ,seriously though the climate goes through changes like the tide goes in and out. We have periods of dry seasons we have periods of wet seasons and everything in between .

How long have humans been monitoring the weather and temperatures ? not very long in the whole scheme of things , I roll my eyes when it is reported that we haven`t had such a high temperature in January since 1926 ?

Oh so you did have such a high temperature then ? What man made pollution caused that ?

Or we haven`t had such widespread floods as these since 1920 ? Oh so you did have these type of floods back then ? What man made pollution caused that ?

The earths weather patterns are governed by cycles ,and those cycles could be over 100 years or maybe 500 years ? who knows ? or maybe even a thousand years .

I can remember as a young kid living in Melbourne Aust. and before 1940s/50`s when it was not uncommon during the summer months for the temperatures to reach 114-116 deg. F. for 5 or 6 days in a row .

I don`t recall anything like that happening in the last 20 or 30 + years or so .

The climate warms up and it cools down and so on and so on and has done so always.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

There is no question that the earth is going through a climate change as the statistical data shows particularly starting back from 100 years.

The question that is debatable is the earth doing it on its own or is the cause wholly because of mankind's long standing contributing air pollution, starting from the beginning of the industrial revolution or a combination of both ?

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Simon I need to clarify, do you mean you don't think climate change is happening or you think it is but we are not responsible for it or capable of changing it?

Do you think the scientific reports of the polar ice melting are faked or that it's real and just part of a cycle that happens every few thousand years that we can do nothing about?

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

I think , no ,I believe Incognigo Montoya has the finger on the pulse .

I concur with all you had to say on the subject

• wozza
    wozza

I think mankind is capable of some pretty bad stuff to the environment ,and yet when people have stood up to it things have changed for the better.

I grew up in Adelaide Australia and over 50 years ago I can remember the city zoo dumping their polluted water into the river Torrens ,the Chemical works at Port Adelaide with pipes coming out of it into the back reaches mangroves ,you could'nt fish there. Now there is a housing estate near there.

Large clay pits around Beverley 70 to 80 feet deep were filled with rubbish ,one even had a dirt levee bank 40 feet down where they just dumped thousands of litres of sump oil and buried it . I could go on but things got fixed but with global warning it's not so obvious to be convinced it's that bad yet.

I do think crooked politicians use this to rob the public and people get carbon credits for planting trees ,but thats for the wealthy in a lot of cases and they grow them on perfectly good cropping land not on poor farming land where they should , it's only about the money.

It's hard not to be cynical.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit