JC letter of invitation. Do they always get signed?

by StarTrekAngel 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• StarTrekAngel
    StarTrekAngel

I was just shown a JC letter from a friend and I noticed that the bottom of it was signed by tree elders. The letter specifically stated that it was an invitation to a "Judicial Committee" due to the brother having a marital relationship that was not aligned with bible principles.

I am asking because I remember reading experiences of brothers who demanded their JC be arranged over certified mail with signed letters to which elders refused to do. Since they could not get this done the matter was dropped and no DFing ever happened. I think the explanation went back as to the letter becoming official and how it can be argued that there is formal judicial proceeding taking place outside the formal legal system.

Can anyone correct me of refresh my memory on this?

• darkspilver
    darkspilver

Yes, letter signed by all three members of the Judicial Committee.

Shepherd the Flock of God, page 82

Inviting the Accused to the Judicial Hearing

It is best for two elders to invite him orally. Their invitation should include the following information:

• Make clear that the meeting is a judicial hearing.
    • Explain what his course of action is alleged to have been.
    • State the time and place of the hearing and how the person can contact the chairman if the person is unable to meet at the scheduled time and location

The assigned elders should make every effort to arrange for a judicial hearing right away. Leaving the matter unresolved can harm the congregation and the accused. If the accused does not make himself available to receive an oral invitation despite repeated efforts by the judicial committee, then the judicial committee should send a written invitation. (Do not leave confidential information on an answering machine or voice mail or send by way of e-mail.) A written invitation signed by the judicial committee should include the same information as outlined above for an oral invitation. If possible, send the invitation in such away that the elders can verify that the addressee received it. If they are unsuccessful in their diligent efforts to invite him and they cannot confirm that he received the invitation, they should hold the matter in abeyance.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

Haven't heard anything bout the JC by mail thing but a brilliant idea!

Sorry but something in your post caught my eye, are "tree elders" any different ground elders, lol.

A very Freudian typo BTW as there are tree snakes and ground snakes.

• StarTrekAngel
    StarTrekAngel

LOL. I blame my keyboard which is not bilingual as I am.

Yes, I meant 3 elders.

• sparrowdown
  • Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

So did he marry a non witness?

• floridaborn
    floridaborn

They making becoming unevenly yoked a judicial matter now?

• steve2
    steve2

a marital relationship that was not aligned with bible principles.

I suspect one of both of the spouses did not have Biblical grounds (i.e., adultery) for divorcing a previous marital partner and have/has now remarried when they shouldn't have.

• Lied2NoMore
    Lied2NoMore

My question would be, “what provision does the Bible give for you to conduct an inquiry of my lifestyle or actions? If the Bible says there is some sort of penalty for a lifestyle or action that God himself disapproves of and will deal deal with in his own due time, and I accept such consequences, isn’t that enough?”

”Do you, by taking such an action feel that you are acting on God’s behalf? If I shoot someone for driving drunk, is that justified for me to do in the eyes of the law?

“Would I be thanked or recognized by the secular authorities for taking the law into my own hands, or would they view my actions as criminal and unjustified?”

MAYBE even the most stupid or indoctrinated elder would have to pause to think?

Or not......

• Closer to Fine
    Closer to Fine
    Steve2 - I suspect one of both of the spouses did not have Biblical grounds (i.e., adultery) for divorcing a previous marital partner and have/has now remarried when they shouldn't have.

I'm curious. What is likely to happen if this is the situation? If they're already remarried legally, are the elders going to df them and consider it adultery for getting remarried? Please forgive my ignorance. I'm not a jw.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit