Your thoughts on Halloween , yes, no or maybe ?

by Finkelstein 48 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Simon
    Simon

I think it is now a social construct. You meet neighbours and their kids, give them some candy - it's not the worst thing in the world by any stretch. The sweets are only bad if you let them eat the whole bag.

I don't think anyone is truly scared, the little ones love their costumes and older ones like getting a fright. One of our neighbours had a large scarecrow in the garden for weeks in the run up to halloween and then on the night he took it's place. Every 10 minutes you'd hear a mass of screams and then laughter.

Only the puritanical types like the WTS find "evil" in everything. So what if it had pagan origins - so do many other things like getting married in white and wedding rings but they are OK with those.

• Gentledawn
    Gentledawn

One of my favorite stories and appropriate for Halloween:

H.P Lovecraft - a reading of "The Outsider":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bE0sB1VIm3s&feature=email

• the girl next door
    the girl next door
    Our neighborhood transforms into a major block party, with hollywood set style walk through fright zones in front yards. It is quite a production. Its fun. Everyone is happy. All ages. Get to know the people in the community better. If you overthink everything chances are you will scarcely leave the house.
  • Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

As Simon pointed there are responsible parents who watch out for their kids at Halloween as to what they take in

as well the candy they consume, its unfair to make a brush stroke over all parents.

Its true that just because something got started originally from pagan traditions that makes them automatically wrong from a sociological perspective. ie birthdays celebrations.

• redvip2000
    redvip2000

To me, it's the institution of evil and I know of several "worldly" people that feel the same way.

Oh please, this is the same type of nonsense that the Watchtower tries to say - that somehow the roots have some sort of evil beginning. Who cares!

This is 2015, these things have a different meaning for us. For us it's about letting kids having a little fun (minus the door knocking, i hate that), and about putting a costume, being silly, and enjoying it. Who cares if at some point in history some ancient civilization had some sort of agenda tied to this day.

Who cares if christmas trees, or wedding rings, or black cats had some sort of pagan ritual done by ancient and backwards civilizations. These things mean what we want them to mean.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

The focus of course is for kids to have fun, dress up in costume and go door to door to receive some candy.

• Faithful Witness
    Faithful Witness

Simon: So what if it had pagan origins - so do many other things like getting married in white and wedding rings but they are OK with those.

Neckties are required for men at the Kingdom Hall, but they were originated as part of a military uniform.

I have always loved playing pretend, and it is even more fun, now that I am a mom!

We used to delight in terrifying the big kids who dared to come to our door on Halloween, but my perspective has changed to a more silly and fun attitude.

I particularly love wearing funny wigs. LOL! This year, we are going to participate in a "Trunk or Treat" for an hour. We will decorate the back of our van like a circus, pass out little candy bars, and make twisty balloon animals as favors for the kids. I'm the mommy clown, my son is the baby clown, and my daughter is the circus tiger.

• ThinkerBelle
    ThinkerBelle
    Oh please, this is the same type of nonsense that the Watchtower tries to say - that somehow the roots have some sort of evil beginning. Who cares!
    This is 2015, these things have a different meaning for us. For us it's about letting kids having a little fun (minus the door knocking, i hate that), and about putting a costume, being silly, and enjoying it. Who cares if at some point in history some ancient civilization had some sort of agenda tied to this day.
    Who cares if christmas trees, or wedding rings, or black cats had some sort of pagan ritual done by ancient and backwards civilizations. These things mean what we want them to mean.

The meaning for you may be different than the meaning for me, so......who cares if this is the stance I want to take. I was answering the original question, not soliciting judgement as I wouldn't pass judgement on someone who does want to celebrate. My kids get a candy pack at school from their teacher for Halloween, I don't take it away from them, but we just won't go trick-or-treating. I know this is a typical JW line, but kids can dress up, have fun, and eat candy at other times and for other reasons too, heck, my kids are always dressing up at home - this is just one of the things I won't be participating in and that's my choice to make.

• millie210
    millie210

I really dont care one way or the other. But then, I dont have young kids. If I did maybe I would have to think about this deeply and pick a place to stand.

One thing I remember from doing some extensive research eons ago is that the end of October (or Samhain as mentioned above) actually can be traced back to the date of the flood.

Thus making it the date the demons dematerialized.

If I vaguely remember it was working off of a date in the scriptures?

Sorry not more clear in my memory.

It is interesting that whether that is true or not, as Samhaim, All Saints Eve or Hallow een, it has cleaved to the traditional theme.

• Oubliette

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit