What's the point?

by punkofnice 66 Replies latest jw friends

• sparky1
    sparky1

"There is probably no point in my going into your questions now; for what could I say about your tendency to doubt or about your inability to bring your outer and inner lives into harmony or about all other things that oppress you - is just what I have already said: just the wish that you may find in yourself enough patience to endure and enough simplicity to have faith; that you may gain more and more confidence in what is difficult and in your solitude among other people. And as for the rest, let life happen to you. Believe me: life is in the right, always.

And about feelings: All feelings that concentrate you and lift you up are pure; only that feeling is impure which grasps just one side of your being and thus distorts you. Everything you can think of as you face your childhood, is good. Everything that makes more of you than you have ever been, even in your best hours, is right. Every intensification is good, if it is in your entire blood, if it isn't intoxication or muddiness, but joy which you can see into, clear to the bottom. Do you understand what I mean?

And your doubt can become a good quality if you train it. It must become knowing, it must become criticism. Ask it, whenever it wants to spoil something for you, why something is ugly, demand proofs from it, test it, and you will find it perhaps bewildered and embarrassed, perhaps also protesting. But don't give in, insist on arguments, and act in this way, attentive and persistent, every single time, and the day will come when, instead of being a destroyer, it will become one of your best workers - perhaps the most intelligent of all the ones building your life." RAINER MARIA RILKE - LETTERS TO A YOUNG POET : LETTER NINE

• cofty
    cofty

I've been thinking about this same topic recently.

Still thinking......

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

Hi Punk. You are absolutely right. Thats why Dubs scuttle about shaking their heads feeling sorry for people who have no "hope". The problem is, they scuttle about till they run out of scuttle and are gone just like the rest of us.

What you have Mr Punk is the ability to stand square and look at life as it is not like misguided people would like it to be. That means that You are your own master. You can choose your friends, decide how to behave, who to love (man or woman) and how to spend your time and resources.

My only thought is that as you get older you have more to give. Human civilisation depends on the best of people long gone passing their values on to others. Our very being, standard of living, standard of behaviour depends on unamed people long forgotten but the best of them exists in the best of us. I truly believe that if you live your life with a balance of self-interest and doing something for others enables life happy in your own skin.

Anyway, chin up mate, you are amongst friends, thats worth something.

• Terry
    Terry

If I do anything good for the benefit of those that come after me, they'll die too. Eventually, I see the human race as becoming extinct one way or another.

Since leaving the watchtower (and I'll never go back), I am living hand to mouth, day to day with nothing to hope for.

Why wash your hands? They'll just get dirty again.

Why brush your teeth? You'll just get old and die.

This is despair talking--not a healthy intelligent human being born in the age of technology.

Despair is a natural result of sudden self-awareness; especially when you've been spoon fed myths about somebody who loves you being in charge of the Universe.

Now, He is not there.

Oops!

Mourn the loss, certainly. After a good sniffle and a few curses, pick yourself up, dust yourself off and take inventory.

1. You have eyes. So use them to look at beautiful things. Why? It feels wonderful. Look at beautiful women. (Naked ones if you like :)

2. You have ears. So use them to listen to beautiful music or to hear the song of leaves rustling on a summers day and the whisper and sigh as it flows through the grasses on its way toward a poet's heart.

3. You have a sense of touch. Grab something wonderful and hold on to it; perhaps a lover's flesh and rejoice in the sensations of being alive! Feel the tickle of a beloved pet's tongue as it kisses you or the gentle weight of a butterfly on your fingertip.

4. You have a sense of smell. Learn to cook--sniff the fresh-baked bread, walk through fields of flowers and lift your heart with the delight of honeysuckle and lilac. Visit the ocean and sniff the brine as you long for the faraway shores of distant and mysterious land you can visit.

5. You have a sense of taste for succulence and spices and sweet chocolates and lemonade and---well, you get the idea. Take a wine-tasting class. Learn something.

You see, this is YOUR LIFE. You can build it into a palace or squat in it like it's a horrid hovel of cardboard. It is up to you.

You can learn and you can teach. Be a mentor or a musician or an artist or just a helluva fun fellow who makes other people see the exciting possibilities in life.

It is all up to you. This Life is no longer SOMEBODY ELSE'S game with you as a mere token moved about against your will.
    Your brain builds your sense of things.

Will you waste it on cynical bitterness?

Or will you pull your shit together and laugh out loud that your prison wardens screwed the pooch and let you out where you can live and love and laugh as you please?

IT IS so SIMPLE: One step follows another.

Take it slow. Be confident you'll find your way.

Good luck!

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

Some statements of little help,

Imagine if you were never born!

Enjoy what you have now!

It is all vanity, the bible got that right. BUT, its your vanity and you can do what ever the hell you want so long as you do not harm others or prevent them from enjoying their ride on the blue ball we call home. Extra cash or food, surplus of any kind is a bonus. I wish you much surplus! It's the luck of the draw. And don't count your "blessings" cause there ain't no bless-er out there.

• brandnew
    brandnew

Talesin.....you know your guitars

Or color of guitars☺☺☺

Mad Puppy

• brandnew
    brandnew

Punk.......how bout celebratea few holidays , and wait on your next b day to have some beers and cake with your band ?

Mad Puppy

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I get what you are saying, I am one of those that tends towards depression and sometimes I wonder whether life is worth living. I finally realized that it was up to me to find a purpose, I had to find a reason to get up in the morning. I believe we all have a gift to bring to the world, and it is up to us to figure out what that is and then do it. You are a musician, maybe that is your gift. Maybe it's playing the music others want to hear and and maybe your gift is your own music, that's for you to find out. You can only know by getting out there and doing it whole heartedly and without fear. You may never be famous, but that doesn't mean your efforts are in vain because of you are doing what you love and what fulfils you then you are a success.

I have struggled with this myself, I wonder why I feel this need and the way forward is not always certain, but I find I can only be my best self when creativity is part of my life, so I make it happen.

So go play some guitar already!

Lisa🌹

• talesin
    talesin

Pup, tks. I have a Walden; it's not worth a lot but has a good sound; and, I used to buy and sell them. : ))

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

I'd have to admit that this site has gotten a bit depressing recently, with little uplifting positive things to talk about.

When discussing the JWS it has to be depressing .

Its not that what is being said and talked about is unimportant or insignificant, it is but this isn't a web site for people who may be already depressed or glum.

I strongly suggest Punk to get away and immerse yourself in other things, there's a lot to do outside.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit