College and EX-JW Discontent....Questions and Stats

by teenyuck 55 Replies latest jw friends

• JT
    JT

"Parents who are Jehovah's witnesses have another very sound reason for channeling their children's lives into useful trades. They know from fulfilled Bible prophecy that today's industrial society is near its end. Soon it will be given its death stroke by Almighty God himself. After that, in God's new order a reconstruction work will be done to transform this entire earth into a paradise. Trades of many types will be very useful then, as will skills in agriculture and homemaking. So by guiding their children away from the so-called 'higher' education of today, these parents spare their children exposure to an increasingly demoralizing atmosphere, and at the same time prepare them for life in a new system as well." {AWAKE Jun 8 1967 38}

1969 "In view of the short time left, a decision to pursue a career in this system of things is not only unwise but extremely dangerous .. Many young brothers and sisters were offered scholarship or employment that promised fine pay. However, they turned them down and put spiritual interests first." {KMIN Jun 1969 3}

THEN THEY CHANGED THEIR TEACHINGS ON HIGHER EDUCATION [compare with WT Nov 1 1992 18 "If .. minimal or even high school education will only allow them to find jobs providing insufficient income to support themselves as pioneers, then supplementary education or training might be considered. This would be with the specific goal of full-time service." A complete volte-face.]

1969 "'What Influences Decisions in Your Life?'

Many schools now have student counselors who encourage one to pursue higher education after high school, to pursue a career with a future in this system of things. Do not be influenced by them. Do not let them "brainwash" you with the Devil's propaganda to get ahead, to make something of yourself in this world. The world has very little time left! Any 'future' this world offers is no future! .. Make pioneer service, the fulltime ministry, with the possibility of Bethel or missionary service your goal. This is a life that offers an everlasting future!" {WT Mar 15 1969 171}

[statistics having revealed that people possessing anything more than the most basic level of education HIGH SCHOOL were unlikely to be converted to 'the truth', there was a danger that upon educating themselves, even existing followers would leave]

"If you are a young person, you also need to face the fact that you will never grow old in this present system of things. Why not? Because all the evidence in fulfillment of Bible prophecy indicates that this corrupt system is due to end in a few years. Of the generation that observed the beginning of the 'last days' in 1914, Jesus foretold: 'This generation will by no means pass away until all these things occur.' Therefore, as a young person, you will never fulfill any career that this system offers. If you are in high school and thinking about a college education, it means at least four, perhaps even six or eight more years to graduate into a specialized career. But where will this system of things be by that time? It will be well on the way towards its finish, if not actually gone! This is why parents who base their lives on God's prophetic Word find it much more practical to direct their young ones into trades that do not require such long periods of additional schooling.. True, those who do not understand where we are in the stream of time from God's viewpoint will call this impractical. But which is really practical: preparing yourself for a position in this world that soon will pass away? or working toward surviving this system's end and enjoying eternal life in God's righteous new order?" {AWAK May 22 1969 15}}

just think [The poor high school youngster would now be 45+ years old and still be waiting..]

. Awake ,5/22/69,pg15,

: If you are a young person, you also need to face the fact that you will never

: grow old in this present system of things. .....all evidence

: in fulfillment of Bible prophecy indicates that this corrupt system is

: due to end in a few years. ....as a young person you will never fulfill

: any career that this system offers. If you are in high school and

: thinking about a college education, it means at least four, perhaps

: even six or eight more years to graduate into a specialized career. But

: where will this system of things be by that time? It will be well on the

: way toward its finish, if not actually gone!

THIS IS A POST FROM A WITNESS CHAT BOARD DISCUSSING THE JW VIEWS ON HIGHER EDUCATION

Posted by N.H. [Pravo] on August 10, 1999 at 04:43:19 {.5VYJ7MmZUHSG.vl05doX.sgIvMbfw}:

Some times when reading WATCHTOWER SOCIETY literature, one wonders about the mental processes of the writing staff in Brooklyn. Take a look at this little gem from the May 1973 KM and notice what the WTS call"encouragement"

NOTICE THAT THE FOLLOWING EXAMPLE WAS HELD UP AS AN EXAMPLE TO FOLLOW BY MILLIONS OF JW YOUNG PEOPLE

*** km 5/73 6 What is Your Heart's Desire? ***

An elder in Korea encouraged his four children to pioneer. At a circuit assembly he and the children were interviewed. The oldest daughter related how she had been the highest scholastically in her high school. She herself wanted to go to college at one point. However, her father informed her that, while she was free to choose such a course, she could not expect financial support from him. She changed her mind about college, and now she is enjoying many blessings as a pioneer. The next oldest, a son, told how he also at one time wanted to go to college and follow a worldly course. But his father sat down and reviewed the Scriptures with him. His father also told him that, if he insisted on following a worldly course, he would also have to find another place to live. He heeded his father's counsel and is very grateful that his father was kind but firm in his stand. The two younger children explained that they were impressed by what happened to the two older ones. From the beginning they planned to become pioneers. The youngest son gave up his high school education to pioneer.

So with this kind of "encouragement" who can blame the JW youth? "Of course you are free to go to college girl, but I won't pay for it! How "encouraging"! "If you go to college son, I will throw you out of the house! Wow, how "encouraging" that must have been folks! Of course the younger children learned a lot from all this wonderful display of "encouragement" from their father, the elder, so they gave up all thought of an education. This was in 1973, and in a competitive society like the Korean, I am sure they have enjoyed a long life of window cleaning by now, while distributing the same WT "encouragement". This little story from the 73 KM really captures the fundamental insanity of the WTS in an excellent way. It illustrates so clearly the tragedy of how they manage to rob people out of their whole lives, by forcing them to make insane "decisions" about their personal future.

Norm.

• LDH
    LDH

When I was in 11th grade in 1984, I remember having a meeting with the guidance counselor at Auburn High School, Mr. Frank Foti.

Of course, my parents were there. Telling him that the system wouldn't LAST another 4 years, an!d that us girls had decided to give honor to God in our youth (by selling books written for neanderthols, apparently, this makes Jehoober happy).

Let's see. I'm 34 now. Unless I missed it, Armegeddon didn't happen. And it's 20 years later.

Job wise, I have an outstanding postion with an outstanding company, and I don't want to jinx myself but I'm going up for a big promotion. No, I don't have a college degree. I manage people who have college degrees, though.

My company does pay for tuition reimbursement and I'm hoping to start back in the winter 2004 Semester.

More on this later.

I wonder how many JW parents have told this to Mr. Foti over the years. How frustrating for him, watching talented children get their childhood thrown away at the hands of a Publishing company masquerading as a religion.

Lisa

• drahcir yarrum
    drahcir yarrum

1969 "If you are a young person, you also need to face the fact that you will never grow old in this present system of things. Why not? Because all the evidence in fulfillment of Bible prophecy indicates that this corrupt system is due to end in a few years. Of the generation that observed the beginning of the 'last days' in 1914, Jesus foretold: 'This generation will by no means pass away until all these things occur.' Therefore, as a young person, you will never fulfill any career that this system offers. If you are in high school and thinking about a college education, it means at least four, perhaps even six or eight more years to graduate into a specialized career. But where will this system of things be by that time? It will be well on the way towards its finish, if not actually gone! This is why parents who base their lives on God's prophetic Word find it much more practical to direct their young ones into trades that do not require such long periods of additional schooling.. True, those who do not understand where we are in the stream of time from God's viewpoint will call this impractical. But which is really practical: preparing yourself for a position in this world that soon will pass away? or working toward surviving this system's end and enjoying eternal life in God's righteous new order?" {AWAK May 22 1969 15}}

1969 + 6 = 1975 OMG, the mystery is now finished!!!!

Since the society never indicated that the end would come in 1975, one can only assume that some overzealous person from a local congregation snuck into the writing offices and wrote the above. And then it went unnoticed by the editorial staff and was printed in the AWAKE. Yeah, yeah, that's what happened, yeah!

In 1969 I was 19 years old. Today I am 54. In 8 years I will be able to draw my pension and social security. I have one thing to say to the people responsible for the above cited AWAKE article. . . YOU ARE LYING BASTARDS!

• VM44
    VM44
    This is why parents who base their lives on God's prophetic Word find it much more practical to direct their young ones into trades that do not require such long periods of additional schooling.

I would like the NAME of who wrote that. I don't care if it was written in 1969. They should be held accountable for what they wrote.

"God's Prophetic Word" it may be, but the WT HAS NO CLUE AS TO WHAT IT MEANS!

--VM44

P.S. oh well...I bet the writer now would not even recall that they wrote it!

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

The WT has not changed it's tune much....still down playing the positive effects of an education (Excluding the *Education* we all got from the Awake!).

I cannot reiterate enough....no one is too old to learn or go back to school. You don't have to go back for financial gain. Go for personal growth. Go to learn something you never really understood. Take a 100 level class at a community college. They are inexpensive and you will meet wonderful people who have the same goal.

Expanding their minds.

You proved you can by walking away from the KH.

• AlanF
    AlanF

While college is not for everyone, and is no guarantee of a good job, it certainly is a Good Thing for a lot of people and so no one should be discouraged from going if they want to. Just for personal growth is great, but if you're right for it, you're a lot more likely to land a good job than without it. As my former father-in-law told me, if you have to spend a good chunk of your life working, you might as well do something you like and that pays you well.

Thanks, JT, for posting those old WTS quotes. It illustrates perfectly why I didn't go to college after I graduated high school in 1969. I got pretty good grades until my senior year, when my parents' divorce and the Society's increasing pressure to "do more" because Armageddon was coming in 1975 made me slack off. Nevertheless, I received a New York State Merit Scholarship. Over the next couple of years two older non-JW friends of the family offered to help me out going to college if I wanted to. One happened to be the Watchtower Society's external lawyer! I turned it down because "the Lord will provide". After 1975 came and went, I smartened up and went to a community college to see if I could swing an engineering degree. I did well, applied to a number of colleges to transfer into, and then completed a degree in electrical engineering after three years at MIT. I began working, and eventually got a Master's degree in EE. I have to say that, for me, going to college was the very best decision I ever made. I enjoy what I do and I get paid well.

No one should ever let a cultish religious organization, or anything else, stop one from going to college. Until you go, you have no idea what you're missing.

AlanF

• logansrun
    logansrun

Alan,

going to college was the very best decision I ever made.

Not as good as your decision to leave the JWs.

Bradley

• JT
    JT

Alan,

going to college was the very best decision I ever made.

Not as good as your decision to leave the JWs.

Bradley

############################ Alan you got to admit the poster above made a great point_ smile

• AlanF
    AlanF

Bradley said:

: Not as good as your decision to leave the JWs.

Of course you're right!

However, it was what I learned in college -- namely, when I tried to defend it, that the Watchtower Society is a hypocritical, lying organization -- that allowed me to see what was wrong with the cult I was raised in. It's hard to say how much longer I would have remained in it had I not gone to college.

AlanF

• Gamaliel
    Gamaliel
    Thoughts and comments would be greatly appreciated. If you had a scholarship offer, please provide details....what college was it at, what discipline/acedemic area was to be studied, etc.

I hesitated to answer in this thread because I think these threads make it sound like the pro-college crowd are somehow bragging about their own abilities. I hope I don't come across that way, because I hope everyone who can make college happen will take the chance, no matter how late in life. For me, not going to college was suffocating.

I think I would have gone to college for several reasons:

1. My father was respectful of college* and secretly wished we kids had gone. 1975 rhetoric let Pioneering win, though. I was still 15 when I quit HS to pioneer, but Dad made me take the GED first. I loved school, and had teachers begging me to come back. My art teacher even gave me over $1000 worth of canvasses, paints, and brushes.

2. I was at the top of my HS sophomore class of 217 when I quit school, had already received awards, and was assured that scholarships would have been forthcoming.

3. I always secretly envied my father's university job. He had just enough college to land a semi-teaching position at a major University. (in Electrical Engineering). Not enough for an official "professorship," but people still called him "Doctor ___" because, with an honorary degree, he ran the University's "invention laboratories" and created projects for the honor's students. He kept the job for 20 years or so until retirement.)

4. Found myself really missing school while pioneering. I started enough Bible Studies with college students to make my 100 hours purely on Bible Studies. (Unfortunately, several were baptized.) But I would still go visit my father's labs and the huge university library after most days of pioneering, and 20 hours of "secular" work.

5. When I got to Bethel, little mattered to me but starting a reading program that was to include every one of the Society's publications. My plan was to read forward from 1870's and intersperse with the books from the 1970's, working backwards. (I also managed to become study partners for a month with a Gilead student, when her roommate left.)

6. When I left Bethel to get married, my wife, who had put herself though school (2 Master's Degrees: Linguistics and Education), thought I would be happier if I went to college, too.

7. I was fortunate to still be fairly young when college was recommended because I could still ace the SAT-based college entrant's exam, which I had never taken before. (I would have graduated HS in 1975 but started college less than 6 years after that, so not all my high school learning was gone from memory yet.)

8. I also managed to test through almost 18% of my college credits and allowed to skip prerequisites courses for several classes. Quite a bit of that was based on Bethel art experience, knowledge of history, religious studies -- even stuff I had learned by living two doors down from the Gilead library at Bethel. Majored in Computer Science.

9. I didn't need scholarships to get through college. I took a bank job temporarily to get a low rate college loan, and went to Financial Aid office and got some mileage out of my previous two years "wages" at Bethel. To put myself through college, I had to give up a fairly good post-Bethel job I had just started and had to take a $10 dollar an hour job running computer operations at night which really translated to 10% real work and 90% homework.

10. For good measure I thought I would also give my brother's experience. (He was valedictorian in 8th grade "graduation") He also gave up college for Bethel, got a union electrician's job, but after several years, still went to college, not to change careers, but just to enjoy the kinds of learning that are promoted in college. It's a whole new world for those of us who were stifled since birth by "so great a crowd of witlessness."

Well, it looks like I did do a lot of bragging up there, but I don't feel like doing a "humility" edit right now. The post is too long to go through again. My apologies.

Gamaliel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit