Convention “Highlights” - bwhahaha!

by Muddy Waters 37 Replies latest jw friends

• Fisherman
    Fisherman
    but little rings attached to a tab that would be completely pulled back & removed?

Wow!! Thank for the memory!

• LV101
    LV101

Attended Dodger Stadium, also. Survived the miserable heat and couldn't believe all the apostates with signs of 800 numbers, etc.

• moreconfusedthanever
    moreconfusedthanever

I remember a convention in the 80s where I spent the entire 4 days asleep in the first aid department. I had surgery few days before and my mother would never consider missing the convention to take care of me at home.

Other than that our family were always in food service which meant that as a teenager I was never able to make new friends because I was always working. We always had to be there super early and got stuck cleaning up after too.

• tepidpoultry
    tepidpoultry

My 3 year old cousin almost died on the way home, from food poisoning caused by eating improperly stored food served at the Convention,

• Still Totally ADD
    Still Totally ADD

This is the high lights of the only convention I remember. Atlanta Georgia, 1969. First talk of the convention the speaker said " we are not white, black, yellow or red people we are polka dot people" followed by a loud applause. I was 15 at the time and this made me feel special. The world was in turmoil on civil rights but all JW's was equal we didn't have that problem. I was very naive. To this day I wish the whole world felt that way. I guess I am still naive when it comes to prejudices humans have.

The other thing I remember was Atlanta Georgia in mid July. Close to 100 degrees with high humidity. Severe thunderstorms every afternoon. The rest of the day was a steam bath. Convention ran out of food, ice and drinks during the noon break. Leaving many dehydrated. We went home with what I will call sun poisoning. I took a week to get back to normal.

Boy was that fun. Root canal would have been more enjoyable. Still Totally ADD

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

Remember how there was always someone sitting nearby and you couldn't help but notice that almost their entire Bible was highlighted in yellow?

I remember that! I also saw different ones in the KH and at assemblies highlighting verses as scriptures were read so I figured, when I saw pages and pages of the Bible highlighted that that person had read those verses or studied them.

• Gorbatchov
    Gorbatchov

When G. was a litle boy, he read a lot about the nazi mass conventions and using mass media. So I always had a fear for the DC and it's applaus machinery.

Always knew that this was not right and feeled uncomfortable with it.

The music etc I did not like it.

G.

• backformore
    backformore

Being a 16 year old kid in the mid 90's and running the sound system because the guy that had the job of storing and bringing the system forgot to get the instructions on how to hook everything up and nobody else could figure out how to do it. I remember at one point the CO was standing around us and asking if I was baptized or not. I told him no and that I could leave if he wants me to. I got a very frightened "NO!! But you really are supposed to be if you're working in the sound department." I just rolled my eyes, said OK, and went back to adjusting mic volumes.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit