Do we attack the Topic or the Person?

by stuckinarut2 11 Replies latest jw experiences

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

I was just thinking that most witnesses can not approach a controversial topic without turning it into an attack of the person who raises that topic.

As we all awaken to TTATT (the truth about the truth), they simply can't discuss the actual facts or issues we discover without turning it into an attack of us as "apostates" with all the negative connotations that word entails...

How truly narrow minded and sad!

They would rather attack the person than the topic.

• jp1692
    jp1692

This a classic example of the ad hominem fallacy.

And of course in JW-land anyone that disagrees is labeled an "apostate" so the argument is automatically--and conveniently--over without any critical thinking required. This is Cult 101.

• Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho
    Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho

And any person within the organization who starts expressing legitimate concerns or doubts undergoes a character assassination: "you must be hiding some serious sin," "you never made the truth your own," etc. No consideration given to what issues have been raised - just instant blame placed on the enquirer for not practicing the religion correctly.

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

Spot on Stuck!

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

I was just thinking that most witnesses can not approach a controversial topic without turning it into an attack of the person who raises that topic.

It's an old, tired, yet still reliable and effective practice. I have to admit, I still resort to that every now and then. Guilty.

• mikeflood
    mikeflood

"I fear the man of a single book", Saint Thomas Aquinas

• lancelink
    lancelink

An excellent thought !

Yes I remember that happening all the time, cut the person down before they can express their idea, whether it be good or bad.

• minimus
    minimus

It's a Democratic thing. Lol

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

I think most people lazily engage in this sort of defense when they must be right, a self defeating weakness we all partake of occasionally. Its just that the WT thinks they are right all the time and therefore have perfected it. Once we become objective, only then can we realize and accept reality because we are open to it.

• OUTLAW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit