November Is The Cruelest Month

by JRK 45 Replies latest jw friends

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

JRK I am of the mindset that he best solution to those difficult months/seasons are to find replacement memories. Its work, but it is worth it. Mine is an entire season of watching my father quickly fade away with cancer as I was there by his side, during which, I was going through extreme difficulties in my marriage, as my husband was pushing to become a baptized JW at the same time. I was feeling angry, sad, and lost at the same time. My father was my rock, and he was slipping away.

He died Jan 6. 2013. Since that time this entire season has brought on depression and other emotional difficulties. I began replacing those days with traditions of festivals, family nights, trips. etc. It has helped so far. I'm not there yet, but it is helping. Of course Dad is still there in my heart and memories, but the sting and ache is lessened.

Replacing happy with sad, while the sad is still there, the strength it had is lessened.

• cognisonance
    cognisonance
    Sadly since waking up, life often just seems like a countdown to death.
    The big downside of leaving the cult.

I can feel my mortality more, but after 6 years since I left the cult I've come to terms with that. Instead life now seems to be full of opportunity. I only have one life and I might as well get the most from it, pursue my passions, and not to be afraid of failure or rejection. So even if it's a countdown, it should be a fun one along the way.

• flipper
    flipper

JRK- I feel you bro. Tomorrow on Wednesday will be one year exactly since my mom died. I had a dream about family last night, my son and my wife Mrs. Flipper and even trying to make peace with my brother in the dream. My intuition kind of felt like perhaps my mom assisted me in that dream . It's strange - I can't explain it. But you know, who knows ? As cheery and bubbly with a great sense of humor that your mom and my mom had- hopefully now they might be our guardian angels or whatever- looking out for us and guiding our moves. There are times since my mom died that although I never pray to an invisible " god " - I do pray occasionally to my mom , or dad when I feel I have a big decision to make or feel perplexed, or in danger. It could just be the little boy coming out in me at age 58, but you know what ? It helps. It makes me feel like I'm not alone. Perhaps it's crazy, but maybe it's not, who knows ? None of us really know. I've had enough paranormal experiences with what I consider deceased friends though that are unexplainable- I lean towards their invisible energy still being with us. I hope so, that would be comforting. I've got mom and dad's ashes in our dining room in a box. I occasionally say to them " what's up " ? lol.

Like yourself I lost many good friends through the years - lost a good buddy back in the early 80's to Hodgkins disease when he was 18. Another good buddy died at age 46 in 1983 of a car accident. Another close friend whose teenage kids were close to my kids like family died in 2003 at age 56 of an accidental overdose. Lost a good friend and worker aged 49 years old , a man of a heart attack in 2008 and another 34 year old mother who worked for me in 2013 of a heart valve problem. Then my parents this last year. Seems like it never ends.

But hey buddy, you and I are still standing , we are still here to carry on and put within us ALL those things these different people were to us, and what they meant to us. Sometimes when I close my eyes and run through the faces of all these people I loved so much - I pause and think for a moment the gift they put inside my head and heart. And I can see bits and pieces of my good friends come inside me- and I have actually BECOME them. This persons sense of humor, that persons wit, this persons caring spirit and ways, that persons honor and justice. And then I finally GET it. At least to me it makes sense then WHY these people were in my life for awhile to help me to become the person that I cherish and am comfortable with. And the wheel of life at least for me, starts making a lot more sense.

I remember seeing in a movie one time, can't remember the actor who said, " Really, isn't life really just lots of little bits of time and moments we string along and put together ? Trying to cherish those times , seasons, and memories with our loved ones ? " One reason I'm a big collector of photo albums. Family, friends, apostafest, you name it, it means so much to me. Just a few thoughts for you my dear friend as you start your day. Just sharing what helps me get through life. Love ya bro, take care, will talk soon, Peace out, Flipper

• flipper
    flipper

Oh JRK, fantastic song in the opening thread . Really cool song. Thanks for sharing. I will raise a glass in honor of your mom tonight. Take care bro, Peace out.

• JRK
    JRK

ttdtt,

You said "life often just seems like a countdown to death." That is true, but I don't see it as a downside to leaving the religion. I find it easier to deal with being out. At least we can grieve like normal people, instead of faking happiness in a resurrection hope.

A friend once said to me that "it is the conveyor belt of death." We cannot avoid it but at least we can grieve without guilt.

JK

• JRK
    JRK

nonjwspouse,

I agree that making new memories is the best way to cope with depressing times of the year. Like you, I am not there yet, as I am still going through things that are reminders of her. Next year perhaps.

JK

• JRK
    JRK

cog,

I have felt my own mortality for quite some time. I have had serious health issues in the past five years. Thank goodness for ObamaCare, or I most likely would have preceded her on "the conveyor belt of death." My big goal was to stay alive long enough to care for mom until her passing. I knew that my JW sisters would just throw her in a nursing home and I didn't want that for her. In fact, they were pushing for her to go to a nursing home when I was going through my surgeries, saying that it was in her best interest. I am glad I was able to achieve that goal.

I did have plans for my future, but they were dashed last month too. So now I am free to do whatever I want other than that. I just need to figure out what the new "that" is now.

JK

• JRK
    JRK

Flip,

I don't exactly pray to my mother, but I do talk to her throughout the day and night ask her for direction and guidance. During the day I talk to her when her favorite bird comes to eat the suet cakes I have out. Mom loved the wild birds, especially one little woodpecker she nicknamed "Skunky." During the evenings I have been lighting a candle and talk to it. I have not had any experiences like you have yet but would welcome them.

It is just after midnight here, so I too will raise a glass on the anniversary of your mother's passing. Except mine will be a ginger ale.

JK

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

JK

beautiful song for a beautiful mother and those are lovely ways to remember her.

I have a collection of small heart shaped stones to remember my mum and when I look at them they bring her back to my mind and heart in the wonderful immediacy that her presence always brought.

• JRK
    JRK

Ruby,

I brought her ashes home today. I will play it for her. It is going to be a tearful night.

JK

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit