Looking for Scottish Ex-JW's to share their experiences (If out obviously)

by jambon1 12 Replies latest jw friends

• jambon1
    jambon1

Raised in Edinburgh and Glasgow congregations.

Lots of funny and interesting JW characters from the 90's & 2000's.

Ian Shanks. The Barr (juice) family. Cute and lovely CO characters ike Les Perkins. The Edinburgh cong that had a white shirt hung up for visiting elders that wore coloured shirts. Dave Algar (DO) and his atttactive wife. The money stealing scandal of an out of town cong in the east. Guys wearing kilts to weddings and being counselled on the full outfit. The elder in the highlands that gave his leaving gift as a public talk around 2003!

So many memories.

• Introvert 2
    Introvert 2

Yes that public 2003 talk would love to have a link to it pretty please, am unable to find it. That was priceless !! Any pics of Dave Algar's attractive wife ? ooo....

• cofty
    cofty
    The Edinburgh cong that had a white shirt hung up for visiting elders that wore coloured shirts.

Was that Corstorphine?

I was Coatbridge and then Dalkeith

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

Wearing kilts... So if you are born and bred Scottish, you cannot wear a kilt to a wedding? Can you wear it to a regular kingdom hall? Or at a convention?

Now adays, would different clans with their own specific color and wool patterns... cause division (?) in the christian congregation?

In Scotland, are there wool colors and patterns for the 'common man' to wear with out any ties to a clan?

Is there still problems because of the Jacobites?

Is a Scotsman dressed up in Highland kilt, welcomed down in the South dressed this way at an English Convention as a visitor?

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

I would be very interested in any Les Perkins stories and his wife, Elizabeth for personal reasons.

• GoneAwol
    GoneAwol

I remember as a teenager hearing that Glenn Macfarlane had disbanded a cong and sacked some of the elders. What was that all about? Wasnt he ill because of all the fuss afterwards?

• jambon1
    jambon1

I was in a different area at the time but yes, Glen Mcfarlane disbanded a cong then ended up having a mental breakdown because of the related stress.

• GoneAwol
    GoneAwol

I didnt mind Glenn and Sally, a bit black and white thinking, and a company man through and through, but quite a likeable fellow. I remember his liking for really high waisted trousers.

• UnshackleTheChains
    UnshackleTheChains

I remember at an elders and MS meeting about 17 years ago, the CO mentioned how 2 Congs in the Scottish borders had turned apostate. Did anyone else hear about this or know which Congs they were?

• cofty
    cofty
    Maybe referring to Berwick about 20 years ago. Don't know of any others in the Borders.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit