What I wish I had known at 18

by NewYork44M 13 Replies latest jw friends

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

The Financial Times had an article with the above question. The author asked various people to answer the question.

https://www.ft.com/content/169705e4-b4dd-11e8-b3ef-799c8613f4a1

While I was not interviewed, if I was asked this question I would say that I wish I had known in 1975, when I was 18, that I was raised in a cult and that the continued focus on Armageddon over my lifetime was a cruel joke. The rest I could have figured out if I had only known that I was taught a lie my whole life.

What do you wish you had known at 18?

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

I wish I'd known that we live in the most peaceful, politically secure and financially rich time in human history. That I could have earnt enough through education and a half decent job to have pursued painting and travelled the world from a young age.

People are always going on about how bad the world is, obviously it was a big part of my upbringing too, but never before in history could an ordinary person, without huge wealth or nobility actually decide what to do with their life. I wish I'd known that.

• The Fall Guy
    The Fall Guy

Wish I'd known Cindy Crawford! :)

• Biahi
    Biahi

If I knew at 18 what I know now, I would have joined the armed forces on my birthday, served my time, and gone to college on th GI bill to become a teacher. If I had done this, I would already be retired, with a nice pension. But, still have to work a few more years.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Not to trust religious leaders of what they say or preach.

Particularly the ones who have control over a publishing house.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Somewhat the opposite to this question, but I used to think that if I was still a JW at 75 and looked back on my life, would I be proud of who I was. I realised I’d be ashamed that I never had the strength to leave. That is what made me realise I should leave and face the loss of family, rather than get old and face my own shame of staying.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Buy Walmart or Walgreens or Apple stock

• TD
    TD

Hindsight is always 20-20

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

That the J.W.religion was a religious cult / real estate / publishing / fraud that has caused thousands of deaths due to wrong information on medical information and caused untold damage to minors who have been sexually abused within the religion and Elders have never reported such sexual abuse to the appropriate authorities and even silenced victims with charges of slander if ever they speak out about such abuse without 2 witnesses to back their claim.

Also the sham they have of getting voluntary free labour to build KH`s dedicate those halls to Jehovah and then sell them off for a profit and keep the money at American H.Q.with nothing going back to the Congregation that supplied the labour ,time effort,and personal expense in building the hall.

Had I known all of this and more I would never have joined this cult as a 19 year old in 1960

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

I wish I had known that college was the next best step, not pioneering.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit