"Most women would prefer to be stay at home housewives. Women's lib did alot of damage to women!"

by purrpurr 70 Replies latest jw friends

• purrpurr
    purrpurr

The above is a quote from a jw female relative. This was in response to a discussion about the suffragette movement ( and the movie about it that's currently in cinemas)

She seemed to think that it would be so much better if women were just daughters/ wives/ mothers and didn't go out to work and have career's? She even blamed the low wages of today and high prices of things on the fact that industry has to accommodate extra workers in the form of women.

P's. This is coming from a jw woman who works and yes has a career(!)

• paul from cleveland
    paul from cleveland
    I don't know about "most" but I'm sure there are a lot of women that would prefer not to have to work outside the house. Especially if there are children involved. Personally, I know more than a few women who did just that. Quit their jobs to raise a family.
  • adjusted knowledge
    adjusted knowledge
    My wife would rather stay home, and once I'm done with college she probably will. We want another child and our current one is two years old. I have a few former co-workers who became stay at home dads. I don't know a lot of women that didn't want a job or career.
  • DJS
    DJS
    From an Oct. 2015 news article:
    A new Gallup Poll shows that more than half of women in the U.S. (56%), with children under the age of 18, would prefer to stay home over going to work, and 39% of women without children under the age of 18 said they wanted the role of homemaker.
  • possum
    possum

This sounds more like a businesswoman and entrepreneur than a mere possession of a husband a woman/wife.Proverbs 31:19

New Living Translation
    She goes to inspect a field and buys it; with her earnings she plants a vineyard.

The bible doesn't say that women are only "fit to stay at home" and be "unpaid distributors of WT cult propaganda".

With JWs having such a low level of basic education the most vulnerable JW women often single parents have to work very hard support their families working long hours on low pay.

• never a jw
    never a jw
    Yes, "Most women" who have been raised under the heavy influence of traditional patriarchal norms prefer to stay home. Hers is obviously a reflection of her upbringing, and therefore a very subjective statement.
  • Simon
    Simon
    It is a strange setup how many women now have to work to earn for the household and to pay for someone else to care for their kids, especially during their early years.
  • sir82
    sir82

Our old school CO, from a few cycles ago, would often say virtually the same thing from the platform.

It was like having your very own walking, talking time capsule. If you ever wondered what it would have been like to talk to the typical misogynistic American male, circa 1955, all you had to do was engage him in conversation.

• Cadellin
    Cadellin

I think most JW women toe the party line when it comes to feminism, which is that it is BAD and DEMONIC. Blech. And, sure, most JW women would definitely prefer to stay home over working because they did not go to college and the only work many of them are able to do is low-wage labor, and probably not very enjoyable. Under those circumstances, I, too, would prefer to stay home. In fact, I did stay home when my daughter was small. I loved it. What's the point?

The point is that what women were fighting for in the 60's and 70's wasn't merely the right to hold a job but the right to choose. The role of homemaker can be fulfilling, creative and mindful. But it's not for everyone, just like being a plumber isn't for everyone. Women's liberation was about obtaining recognition as human beings, as independent agents--especially with respect to the body--and as intellectuals. It was about equality with men when it came to personal freedoms, choice and respect. Anyone who thinks it did more damage than good needs to read some of the media of the forties and fifties (or earlier), including the WT's publications. Or reflect on some of the laws. Language and images that we would today consider grotesquely sexist and demeaning was considered normal and acceptable.

• Giordano
    Giordano

But it is interesting to note the following about stay at home wives who take care of their home and families:

May 10, 2013 - Based on the 10 most time consuming tasks listed by more than 6,000 mothers, Salary.com estimated it would cost $113,586 a year to replace them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit