What does your online handle mean?

by iiz2cool 61 Replies latest jw friends

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool

A few of us use our real names as our handles, but most of us use something else, such as a nickname or a variation of our real name. What's yours? What does it mean to you?

Iiz2cool - It was not my nickname (I really don't think I'm all that cool), but that of an old friend named Mike Prezelj. I won't go into how he got the name, but it happened when we were all very high, and you had to be there to understand. We went to school together, dropped out together and shared many good times and bad together. We got drunk together, took acid together, rode our motorcycles together, went to jail together, shared food, girlfriends, and just about everything else. We were closer than brothers.

Mikey had some problems, and at times he was suicidal. Sometimes I got calls from the hospital after he had taken an overdose of pills, but he always survived those attempts. Once he tried to impale himself on a pitchfork. Luckily I was on hand to stop him, but the struggle left me sore as hell for an entire week. Any time he felt this way, people called me, because I was the only person who could get through to him.

Then I became a JW, in spite of his protestations, and I cut off all association with my former "worldly" friends, including Mike. Looking back now, I wish I listened to him.

One day, after a number of years as a dub, I got a voicemail from an old girlfriend named Margie. I hadn't heard from her in years. She asked me to call her and left her number. She said it was a very urgent matter, an emergency. I thought to myself, "Yeah, right! There's nothing she could say that I want to hear! I'm a witness now!"

I later learned that Mikey shot himself that night, and that the call was actually a cry for help.

I was very depressed for a long time after that. When elders asked me about it i told them what happened but what could they say? They tried to tell me that he was better off now since he had a better chance to have a resurrection, but somehow this didn't make me feel any better. Was this what bible study had finally brought me to? Resurrection or not, I had to live with the fact that I had failed my friend who was closer than a brother, and this resulted in his death. It's been nine years since his death, but time doesn't make it any easier. I don't even know where to find his grave, as his family has all moved.

So I use his nickname as my handle as a reminder that I should never turn my back on someone in need. I should never let anyone dictate who my associates should be. Religion may have it's place for some, but love and conscience go far beyond what any religion can do, and that's what I choose to listen to now.

So, enough about me. What do your handles mean to you?

Walter

• logansrun
    logansrun

Why, what else -- Logan's Run.

Courtsey of Robert Yancey

New 11-26-2000

Huge file!New 11-26-2000
    Huge file!New 11-27-2000

Huge file!New 11-28-2000
    New 12-9-2000
  • onacruse
    onacruse

Logan's run...one of my favorite movies!

on-a-cruise (through life) until I got run over by a biker chic.

Craig

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I'm usually off in my own little world.

• jst2laws
    jst2laws

Jst2laws = JUST TWO LAWS,

A lot has been recorded about Jesus, and institutions and religions have spun off from what people think are his teachings.

After my bad 38 year experience in the fundamentalist WT religion, a subsequent investigation into everything I thought was true, I have rejected almost all of it as of human invention and embelishment. But I appreciate that the man Jesus tried to start a revolution among rule oriented worshippers of the gods. He discarded law codes, priesthoods, temples, rituals and traditions and taught we can connect with the ultimate reality (the father) without all that garbage. To me all religion, relationships, motivations and goals in life should boil down to two laws,

Love God with your whole heart, soul, strength and mind

Love your neighbor as your self. (Love your self first then love your neighbor as yourself)

Jst2laws

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

Mine: well, I always keep my hair cut short (buzzed/shaved) and I used to be into the local punk rock community here, and sometimes I could say things that could be a bit 'sharp' as it were. Imagine me (RAY) with a mohawk, but yes, I had one.

So it is a combination of things. I've been using it for years.

• Vivamus
    Vivamus

Let us live.

-

And the world shall tremble in the wake of the Blue Bubblegum
    Dutch District Overbeer

• shotgun
    shotgun

Skeet shooting and hunting were once a big part of my life...until family and other JW's conviced me I was killing for sport and not out of neccessity. I sold all my guns as I thought why keep them around if I'm not going to use them, none of the brothers wanted to shoot skeet and its frowned upon to join a gun club.

I have also been known to accidently unload both barrels when talking to ones about my doubts.

Although lately I felt like changing my handle to popgun or BB-gun because I've restained myself.

• tinkerbell82
    tinkerbell82

tinkerbell is tiny and wicked and mischevious and full of bad ideas, and in love with a boy that never grew up.

and so am i. :)

• run dont walk
    run dont walk
    what else -- Logan's Run.

I thought they were making a new Logan's Run, heard this rumour a couple of years ago, anyone know ???

run don't walk away from the Watchtower !

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit