Witness Paedophile Gets 12 years

by Englishman 18 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Englishman
    Englishman

From yesterdays Richmond and Twickenham Times:

Jehovah’s witness jailed for rape

By Emily Manson

A 53-year-old Jehovah’s Witness has been sentenced to 12 years imprisonment at Isleworth Crown Court this week, after being convicted of six counts of rape and one of indecent assault on a young girl in Hanworth.

Eric James Richardson, from Nottingham, was convicted and sentenced yesterday, after the court found him guilty of raping the girl over a period of three years at an address in Hanworth.

The rapes occurred between 1988 and 1991 but the Met's Child Protection Team only began investigating the case when the victim approached police in June 2002.

The victim of the allegations, who is now 26, had become concerned that Richardson might offend again, and had decided it was time for her to speak up.

Richardson, a Jehovah's witness, had gained the trust of the victim through his attendance at a Jehovah's Witness church. He was arrested and interviewed on August 1st 2002.

After the sentencing, the officer in charge of the case, DC Alan Carpenter, from Feltham’s Child Protection Team, said: ‘‘Richardson had created a climate of fear which he used to groom the victim and prevent her from speaking out. His reputation as a man of good character, particularly in the Jehovah's Witness community acted as a deterrent for his victim speaking out, and was used as a smoke screen for his crime.

He concluded: ‘‘It has taken a great deal of courage on the victim's part and this result is justice for her and a message to other victims of abuse that you can feel confident to speak out. There are organisations that can help you, and will do so in confidence. Help us to help you.’’ Anyone who is or has been a victim if child abuse can contact the Met's Child Protection Team on 020 8247 6331 in confidence, your local police station or if you would prefer to speak to someone other than a police officer you can call Childline on 0800 11 11. Alternatively you can call the 24 hour NSPCC Child Protection Helpline, 0808 800 5000.

10:25am Friday 1st August 2003

Englishman.

• gumby
    gumby

Hey e-man.

intresting story! They seem to be popping up more and more. Good old apostates....eh?

Heres another:

http://www.redbluffdailynews.com/Stories/0,1413,134~26762~1542262,00.html

Gumby

• SpunkyChick
    SpunkyChick

Waaaaa-hooooo! Another pig busted! Thanks for sharing the story!

• Shutterbug
    Shutterbug

Just curious eman, does twelve years mean twelve years in the UK ?? Here, it could mean four to six years. If it means twelve years, this abuser will get out in time to retire. Hopefully he will serve the entire time. Bug

• Englishman
    Englishman

Shutterbug,

Sentence remission of one third to one half are standard in the UK as a reward for good behaviour. I'm not sure if that applies to sex offences though.

Englishman.

• cat1759
    cat1759

Awesome, Encouraging Story!

Thank you for posting.

Cathy

• outnfree
    outnfree

This is great, but I find the Red Bluff, California story (see link above) quite interesting, too. It states that there is going to be a Town Hall meeting on the issue not only in Red Bluff but in several other California towns. This lawsuit is in addition to the Woodland lawsuit which got a lot of coverage last week. The public is finally going to learn how things work within the organization and it won't be pretty, in my estimation.

Too bad congregation members won't be in attendance at such a "political" meeting, but I guess they'll deal with the consequences of the Watchtower's bad policy at the doors.

outnfree

• wednesday
    wednesday

I am so gratful when i read these stories, another rotten person is in jail. The sentences just don't match the crime, a person life destroyed and he could do as little as 4-6 yrs. But it is in the paper and people will read it, and will look with caution at the next JWS they see.

weds

• Englishman
    Englishman

Wednesday,

That's right, also did you notice the location of this newspaper?

Richmond and Twickenham Times:

Twickenham is a borough in London where the biggest assemblies are held, at Twickenham Rugby Ground.

Englishman.

• expatbrit
    expatbrit
    His reputation as a man of good character, particularly in the Jehovah's Witness community acted as a deterrent for his victim speaking out, and was used as a smoke screen for his crime.

A quote to keep and use.

Expatbrit

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit