JW Chef Refuses to Cook Black Pudding

by cofty 109 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• DogGone
    DogGone

I wasn't equating religious superstitions with phobias and sexuality, I was asking you if you would accommodate those differently than religious superstitions. You could say, "yes, I would, completely different". You could say "no, people should keep these things out of the public square".

I was equating bigotry against religion with bigotry against sexuality or gender identity. That is because, bigotry is, by definition, intolerance toward those who hold different opinions from oneself. I find the question of tolerance and accommodation at the heart of this discussion and the kind of society we want to live in.

Moving from phobias and sexuality and back to the more analogous region of ideas and beliefs, what about situations like my friend and his wifi nuttiness?

I appreciate your pointing out the specific part of my post you were disagreeing with. Bad wording on my part. I meant, no one should be required, on pain of losing employment, to do something which is against their conscience when reasonable accommodation can be made.

The history of Quakers in WWI and WWII and the issues around alternative service and munitions manufacturing are well documented. Apparently an atheist airman in Nevada was going to lose his job unless he said the oath "so help me God". Nevertheless, it is tedious to dig up examples for a thought experiment.

You do say that people aren't forced to take these jobs, and that is a fair point. What about forcing someone who has a job, on pain of job loss, to do something that can otherwise be reasonably accommodated?

• Simon
    Simon
    Gods are crap at breakfasts. No wonder his follower are always angry and bitter. They just need the magic of bacon.
  • cofty
    cofty
    what about situations like my friend and his wifi nuttiness?

What about him? Would I employ him to work in an office full of wireless devices? No. Would I allow him to use a desk further from the router if it didn't affect his work? Yes.

What about forcing someone who has a job, on pain of job loss, to do something that can otherwise be reasonably accommodated?

That depends on the specifics.

I would not employ a GP who refuses to prescribe birth control or a chef who won't cook bacon.

Apparently an atheist airman in Nevada was going to lose his job unless he said the oath "so help me God"

That would be illegal under the constitution.

• cofty
    cofty
    Why are you equating religiously based superstitions with sexuality and phobias? - Me
    I wasn't equating religious superstitions with phobias and sexuality, - You

It is the same argument fundamentalists have made about homosexuals, Catholics, the transgender, the mentally handicapped, Jews, etc. - You

• bohm
    bohm
    I sort of get the appeal of this dish if you wish to not live so long, but can someone explain to me what the single half tomato is supposed to do? It's just nasty and soggy and does not seem to fit in at all...
  • DogGone
    DogGone

Cofty, that last post is a non-sequitur. How is that equating superstition with sexuality? It is equating the bigotry - the statement they should leave it at home. I heard it a hundred times about gay pride parades. "I don't care if they are gay, but get it out of my face, leave it at home". Bigotry is bigotry. That is what I'm equating

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

Not to be stupid, but what is that thing on the right hand side of the plate, a giant chicken nugget?

Also, where are the pancakes?

Thirdly, there's a difference between asking for accommodations for something that is a core component of your job and asking for an accommodation at your workplace for things that don't affect your job description.

If wifi man is a systems tech who doesn't want to work with wifi, then, no, that would not be a reasonable accommodation.

But, if wifi man works in an office where it is in use, but his job description does not require using it, then it might be reasonable to allow him to sit as far away from the router as possible.

If your job description a chef includes cooking the entire menu, then, no, it is not reasonable to expect to refuse to cook an item on that menu.

If you work at an office that has a breakfast for the staff occasionally, then it would be reasonable for an employee to request to not be the person who served the black pudding to the others.

• cofty
    cofty
    I heard it a hundred times about gay pride parades. "I don't care if they are gay, but get it out of my face, leave it at home". Bigotry is bigotry. That is what I'm equating

Why are you equating it?

Objecting to a chef wanting to pick and choose what they will cook is not bigotry. Refusing to employ a GP who won't prescribe birth control is not bigotry. Declining to employ a shop assistant who insists on wearing a burka is not bigotry.

Homophobia is bigotry.

People choose their superstitions they don't choose their sexuality.

If you are looking for an unreasonable, intransigent person to criticise I'm not that imaginary enemy.

• DogGone
    DogGone
    GreatTeacher, I completely agree with what you wrote. I'm not sure what the job description was or what employment arrangement was made for this JW lady, but if that was the requirement and agreement, I agree. The fact the employer defended the employee makes me think there is more than we know about the relationship and understanding here, but I really don't know.
  • cofty
    cofty
    what is that thing on the right hand side of the plate, a giant chicken nugget?

It's a sort of deep fried mash potato in breadcrumbs thing. Horrible!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit