JW Chef Refuses to Cook Black Pudding

by cofty 109 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cofty
    cofty
    Sainsbury's has been forced to apologise after its Jehovah's Witness chef refused to serve a customer black pudding with his Full English breakfast.
    Alan MacKay was stunned when he was told he could not enjoy the staple, made up of animal fat, blood and oatmeal, with his meal at the branch in Arnold, Nottingham.
    After receiving his incomplete dish the former police officer was told the black pudding would not be served because it was against the religious beliefs of the chef to do so....
  • SafeAtHome
    SafeAtHome
    The photo of that breakfast looks totally disgusting to this Yank!😝 However, that being beside the point, I never understand why employers have to hire people who, for whatever reason, refuse to fulfill all requirements of the job. For example, some pharmacists will not fill prescriptions for birth control or the "morning after" pill. Well then, go do something else.
  • Hadriel
    Hadriel
    Pretty impressive that this sister would stand firmly in the faith. Now if only a member of the Governing Body would instead of running for the hills like Jackson did by not saying proudly that they are the only spokespersons for God.
  • BluesBrother
    BluesBrother
    Sainsbury's who explained the error was down to a mix up between the kitchen team on duty.
    A spokeswoman said a member of staff had misunderstood that the chef had asked them to prepare the black pudding, not that black pudding could not be served.

Put like that, it is a little more understandable. The dub asked someone else to do it.. Instead they ran out to the customer and told him to go away....

It is still a tad extreme though. there is no requirement not to prepare it, only not to eat it themselves. When I was a devout dub and an elder I worked for a spell in a deli. I used to serve and slice black pudding to customers. It was not a problem for me

• undercover
    undercover

It's like the ole cigarette deal here in Southern US. You couldn't work for RJ Reynolds or Lorillard or Phillip Morris, MAKING cigarettes. But you could work for the 7-11 C-store selling them.

So, if all this 'chef' had to do was add the black pudding to the rest of the order, it's not against his religion. If, however, he was actually preparing the stuff (and I have no idea if it's made to order, or pre-made, and held till requested), then it might fall under the restrictions, as far as JW dogma goes anyway.

• cofty
    cofty

Just as a point of information I think the chef is female.

My wife used to work for a JW baker who was a prominent elder. He would make hot cross buns at Easter but one of the other JW ladies who worked in the shop would refuse to sell them. Bizarre!

• DogGone
    DogGone
    Excellent, in my opinion. You should not be forced to do something against your conscience. Forcing an atheist who works at a funeral home to say "God bless you, I will pray for you" or forcing a JW to handle blood, a Catholic to hand out birth control, or a Quaker to manufacture munitions is just wrong, in my opinion. Society works because we tolerate differences in each other and allow reasonable accommodation for differences. Asking another to perform the task is reasonable. Refusing to find a solution (like not referring a patient to a doctor who CAN provide birth control) is unacceptable for the same reason.
  • cofty
    cofty
    DogGone - I could not disagree more. If you get paid to do a job do it. Keep religion at home where it belongs.
  • DogGone
    DogGone

Why does it belong only at home?

Do you feel the same way about other questions of integrity and conscience or only those that arise from religion?

• cofty
    cofty
    Why does it belong only at home?

Because a person's irrational superstitions should not affect the rest of society.

Do you feel the same way about other questions of integrity and conscience or only those that arise from religion?

The question is too vague. What other questions do you have in mind?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit