Kingdom Hall Renovation Question: Who Pays?

by breakfast of champions 22 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

So last night it was announced at the local hall that the LDC had decided against building a new hall, and that the existing hall would be "renovated."

The prospect of a new hall has been dangled before this congregation for at least 10 years now. In fact, the congregation had already purchased property, had approval from the RBC for a new hall. . . .. and then everything changed (the RBC was dissolved and the LDC was instituted).

My wife says there was an audible *GASP* when this was announced --- everyone had been expecting a new KH. Evidently, there was quite some disappointment that all this will amount to is merely the renovation of a small, outdated building from the 60s.

My question is: Who foots the bill for the renovation? Does the LDC pay for this? Or is the congregation expected to ante up?

I remember seeing somewhere on this board that some congregation (I'm assuming in the USA) was supposed to pay at least half of the cost of renovation "up front" under the new LDC arrangement. Unfortunately I can't find the post I was thinking of . .. . .

• George One Time
    George One Time

Keep us informed, please

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

Well when they stole all the money from the congregations they made it seem that they would pay for any major upgrades or new halls to be built, but I wouldn't be surprised if they changed that too. Keep us posted.

• Brokeback Watchtower
    Brokeback Watchtower

Up grade the property(KH), sell the other property, call it even then later beg for more funds from the indoctrinated to cover WT loss's on the deal, rob them(Congregation) of their surplus with at a later date by a GB sponsored announcement to hand over funds in the form of pledges.

And in the upgrade make the property for saleable at a later date to generate cash for an organization run by a bunch of delusional bumbling Idiots who hate getting a higher education because they might learn something and come out of mind control.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

We know who won't pay for it....

DD 😏

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte

The Watchtower is supposed to pay. However, previous letters made it clear that even some substantial renovations could be considered to be the responsibility of the congregation.

When the arrangement started, they said that 5000$ or less projects would be handled by the congregation. This truly sounds like small projects. However, considering that they get material for 10 to 20% less and that they take the labor for granted, what you are looking at in reality are 12000$ worth of projects. Sure, the cost will be 5,000$, but members of the congregation and other volunteers will need to chip in.

Now here is the kicker: They can technically schedule one project like this every year if they want to. Hence, they could schedule steady small renovation projects, say, 5 projects over 10 years and reach 60,000$ worth of renovation. Doing so, the building is actually maintained and very well preserved and the watchtower does not need to send anything back to the congregations.

Sure, the actual cost will be 25,000$, but you get the point. The fact is that the society has set up an arrangement in which the congregations will do most of the renovations themselves.

If I was an elder, I'd ask for reports on how this fund is actually used. Otherwise, the congregation would promise 1$ per publisher per month. That is all.

• darkspilver
    darkspilver

Hey breakfast of champions!

The prospect of a new hall has been dangled before this congregation for at least 10 years now. In fact, the congregation had already purchased property, had approval from the RBC for a new hall. . . .. and then everything changed (the RBC was dissolved and the LDC was instituted).

yeah, seems to be the same as what's happening here....

https://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/5987183917793280/london-kingdom-hall-sale-well-kinda

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

This is happening time and time again. Congregations have been ponying up the funds for new halls for years only to have it grabbed by the LDC. They have then had to wait a couple of years and onwards now only to be told that nothing of substance will happen. As Stephane says, the onus for managing the maintenance of ageing facilities falls on the local congregation. This is no major problem for those congregations with more modern facilities but for those congregations with knackered halls then they are looking at fairly major works.

Alternatively, a hall is sold with the existing congregation told to go to another facility. This is exactly what has happened in Brighton. The funds from multiple congregations were grabbed, a facility put up for sale and no upgrades or new halls instigated even through the other halls were now getting more use.

• Lostandfound
    Lostandfound

In England elders are also legal trustees of congregations . The 1997 constitution which congs approved on recommendation of local elders, allowed this plain theft. Elders likely stand guilty of failing in their fiduciary duties not to have protected the assets of the congregation. The constitutions agreed, sent out by Mill Hill and printed by them as the only way to proceed in 97 clearly was a ruse to allow the theft of cong assets. Every cong approved these and sent a copy to Charity Commission (and I think WT) elders who stood against this were sidelined and the Constitution railroaded through. If I was a millionaire I would spend all my wealth on pursuing WT for theft as a result of malpractice

Elders of each cong at time are the local ones who stand responsible for mother stealing not just children's ice cream money, but the local charity, i.e. The congregations assets. Doubtless the legal department at bethel will see no cutbacks with Chelmsford move.

what was the scripture society loved about framing mischief by decree, well they certainly framed this mischief , more like grand theft.

• wifibandit

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit