Why is Life Expectancy in the USA So Low Compared to Other Countries?

by RubaDub 45 Replies latest jw friends

• Simon
    Simon

Do any other countries have competitions to see how much food someone can eat the fastest? I still don't understand that ... either the people that do it or the people that watch it.

It's interesting that a lot of the issues with health and diet originate from the government mandating what "good diet" should be, but it being directed by special interest groups who wanted to boost the industries they represent.

I think people are better off eating traditional foods, they are now recognized as being better for you (e.g. butter vs "I can't believe I ate this and am still alive but it's not butter")

There was a programme on about school meals and they showed what they ate in France - 3 course meals, no meals repeated in a month, children involved in the prep and local restaurants / chefs involved in the planning. Meals looked fantastic and were half the price of the union supplied fried slop served to American kids.

It's not hard to do things right, it just needs someone to smash through the special interest groups that are taking advantage of the tax spending.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

I think people are better off eating traditional foods,

Simon .... excellent point in this crazy society we live in.

If you want rice, buy a bag of rice. Season it, cook it, put a little olive oil (or butter) in it and eat it. Instead, people tend to buy some pre-packaged, pre-cooked stuff that has 30 or 40 ingredients and half of them you cannot pronounce.

Want a piece of fried fish, go for it. Get some fresh fish, a good egg and some plain bread crumbs. Season it as desired. Instead, people will purchase some frozen crap that again has so many ingredients that the fine print looks like you are reading a novel.

Even if you have very little space like living in a condo, plant a pot of various herbs and use them to cook and season your food and salads. In our yard, I always have at least 6 or 7 herbs growing, everything from basil to rosemary to parsley, etc. Seeds are cheap. You can even use hanging pots if you don't have a lot of room.

But back to your point, yes, traditional foods that you can season the way you wish is far superior and healthier than the crap people tend to eat here.

Rub a Dub

• JeffT
    JeffT

Do any other countries have competitions to see how much food someone can eat the fastest?

One of the top record holders is Japanese.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Takeru_Kobayashi

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

When I'm in a weird, conspiracy-theory mood...

...I actually catch myself suspecting that not only are the financial elites fully aware that all the shit they're systematically cranking out is slowly killing most of the lower- and middle-class...

...but that they're also doing it on purpose to address what they perceive as a population-growth problem.

• Simon
    Simon

I know what you mean. They are openly advocating for mass murder (through funding abortions for developing countries) as a way of climate control now.

They want people dead, at the governments hands, but never them.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Funny, I just remembered...

...a long time ago, my Dad once told me that the evil (Canadian, no less) government secretly wished it could euthanize all senior citizens so it wouldn't have to deal with the burden of paying pensions and such (paraphrasing, but that's the gist)...

...I'd forgotten all about that till now.

He didn't have an overly high opinion of democracy either, now that I recall (he felt it was simply two wolves and a sheep voting on what to eat for dinner),. and vastly preferred the notion of trusting a higher, "perfect" authority to make decisions.

Probably why he became a JW.

Fortunately, he mellowed considerably as he got older, and as I grew up, I realized that my Dad was not necessarily right about everything, and developed somewhat different opinions.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit