Re-read Animal Farm.

by The Rebel 20 Replies latest jw friends

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

I was one of many witness children, who studied this book in English Literature class.

Having re-read it as an adult it addressed so many issues I have with the organisation. Including maniputive control, the re-writing of history etc etc. So many of the characters in the book, resembled characters I have known in the organisation.

Boxer- loyalty without questioning.

Squeler- A character who doesn't care about truth, and uses rhetoric of language to twist truth.

Clover-Who silently questions decisions, but stays loyal.

If your young, or old I would suggest reading this small book, by George Orwell. It will in a wonderful way open your mind to how the organisation works, and the types of people that allow the organisation to function.

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

Amazingly, I read this in 9th grade English/Lit class as a mentally-born-in-JW, and the correlation did not strike me at all. It's amazing what good indoctrination and brainwashing can do.

• pontoon
    pontoon

I sure remember Animal Farm. In grade school one of the first books that turned me into a reader. Been 50 years since then so I don't remember specific characters but i'll refer to AF in this context; hire 2, 3, 5, 10 people (doesn't matter) all the same job tittle, same status, same experience, same pay, put them all on the same job, 4 things are likely to happen. (1) One person is going to take the lead and start giving direction. (2) That person will allay with a person that is the most ambitious to follow his direction and require others to. (3) Everyone else is happy to have others do their thinking and decision making for them. They'll follow direction, even looking to these 2 for direction. (4) The person that hired all these people in the first place will recognize and begin to use him as the foreman of the group.

That was a good post Rebel

• flipper
    flipper

Thanks for the thread. I read Orwell's 1984 about 10 years ago ( been out of the JW's almost 14 years now ) but I've always wanted to read Animal Farm - but never did - yet. Thanks for the recommendation. Next time I'm near the old used book store in a small town I travel to with my business- I'll pick up a copy. Sounds very interesting- thanks for the push. Take care, Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

Every high school student should be told to read Animal Farm and then use their "independent thinking" (TM) to explain the analogies contained in the story. It's a classic!

• blondie
    blondie

I ordered it from my local library for summer reading.

• pontoon
    pontoon

Another great read kind of ties in with AF is "Lord of the Flies" by William Golding

• roberto avon
    roberto avon

I read it twice, first time in English and than Italian. Fantastic!! I also read 1984, but after reading that book I felt so uncomfortable, it was so real. Just amazing how Orwell could write this 50/60 years ago.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

The most impressive thing about the book is how it can be easily read by children and adults.

My favorite character was Snowball who was run off the farm. Long after he was gone he was blamed for any misfortune that occurred in the farm. This absent scapegoat reminded me of Goldstein in Orwell's book 1984; Obama nowadays (who is being blamed for any silly thing by the alt-right even after he's gone.) and finally, apostates from the WT.

• Lostandfound
    Lostandfound

Orwell came from a wealthy background, though hardship made public school (fee paying in U.K., difficult) in time he was at Eton College, the most prestigious school of his day. He wrote of his day's meeting poverty head on in the UK in, The Road to Wigan Pier, about life in that Lancashire town, lucid prose and brilliant commentary on inequality. His mini book Animal Farm, an allegorical masterpiece and a brilliant read. The dystopian novel 1984 was very perceptive about a Big Brother society. Cameras behind mirrors to watch for dissent, reminds me of recent post here about Judicial Police, they would love constant eavesdropping of people. Think he was only 50 when he died.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit