Did you enjoy your visit to Bethel?

by Addison0998 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Addison0998
    Addison0998

I recently had to take a trip with my family to Bethel. It was a bit torturous for a secret apostate as you can imagine. But mostly just so boring. Walking around looking at the different machinery that you couldn’t pay me to be interested in learning about. Why do people visit here more than once in their life, it’s just a bunch of machines and printeries, who cares? We even were privleged enough to get to go down down stairs and see the heating and cooling system, how awesome!!

And parents are supposed to want to bring their kids here more than Disney world? It is so much more special and important to show your child a big printing machine and a cardboard poster of Caleb and Sofia than a fun and exciting amusement park or a beautiful beach. I feel so sorry for people who travel half way across the country or the world and drag their kids along with them.

Also, did you know that at meal times, women are not allowed to sit at the end of a table, or the foot or whatever they call it, only men are allowed to sit there, because it represents the “head” of the table -_-. I almost sat there because the seats were running out, and I was told sorry, no women allowed to sit there. Unbelievable!!! They really have to enforce their sexism with the smallest things??

I did think it was funny though, how whenever I asked someone about the olympic sized heated swimming pool, they acted very awkward and uncomfortable, like we weren’t supposed to know about it! I thought I would give it a try and ask if we could see it, of course we could not ;)

• EverApostate
    EverApostate
    olympic sized heated swimming pool at Bethel ?

I will loose my sleep tonight.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

i went on a trip to the UK bethel as a kid--in the early 60's. once was too often..at least i never felt the call to go and work there.

• sir82
    sir82

I visited Brooklyn Bethel shortly before the move to Warwick.

This is the summary of the tour, no exaggeration, no hyperbole, these are, yes, the highlights:

Walk down a windowless hallway, past closed office doors. Look at a chart, guide "explains" (reads) chart.

Walk down another interior hallway, past closed doors, to another chart. Guide "explains" (reads) chart.

Walk into a storeroom filled with office supplies. Guide talks about something or other related to office supplies.

Walk down more interior hallways, stopping to view and read charts.

The end.

No, I didn't enjoy it.

• Addison0998
    Addison0998

@sir82 yes exactly, that’s pretty much how it goes, and then you might be “privledged” enough to go into one of the little office rooms and have one of the workers explain how they run their $15,000 machine so they can make signs for the bathroom doors

• stillMS
    stillMS

@sir82 - exactly my experience. Nothing to add except us given a video about bethel to watch.

From what I know, the only way to have a bit more fun is to be invited by your friend working at Bethel - in that case, you'll be allowed to walk around and see more (not too fun - but still smth. :) )

• dynamiterose77
    dynamiterose77

As a graphic designer I kinda love printing presses and the process, but it isn't for everyone. I'm a nerd around them because I understand the process of everything and getting colors right/balanced etc. That being said, I also studied propaganda, so I think I'd be more horrified once seeing the scale of everything in person.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Lol Addison you must be a privileged bunny to get to EAT in the hallowed WARwick (actually pronounced Worrick) cafeteria!!! I understood the great unwashed only got to see the outside of a Coca-Cola dispenser if they were lucky! I cannot believe those Wilshire don't let women sit at the end of the table....isn't that cultural? No, wait....pagan idea? Isn't it something to do with sitting above the salt, Royalty and all that? Not very neutral!! You should have said where you are from its called the " Bums end" where the idiots and fools traditionally sit :-))

• Tameria2001
    Tameria2001

Let me see, I visited Bethel and Walkill (did I say the name correctly) once back in 1989 or was it 90, it's all a blur now. I went with a tour group of other JWs from Wisconsin, I lived in Kansas at the time. I went because my JW cousin was going, she was the same woman who got my mom involved with the JWs in the first place. I was young, single, a regular pioneer, and fully believed in the JW bull$#it. But I had no desire to live there, just wanted to see what all the hype was all about. We didn't eat at Bethel, but some Greek restaurant that was close by. I learned two things, first I hate Greek food, and two check the restroom of a restaurant before eating at the same location. Nasty restrooms mean nasty unclean kitchens.

I don't regret going, because with that trip I was able to see both the basement and the top of both of the twin towers, and got to visit a really cool winery close to Wallkill.

• sparky1
    sparky1

Key: 505

Room: E263

I'll never set foot in any Bethel again as long as I live.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit