Who Selected the Canon? Does “The Watchtower” Tell Us the Whole Story?

by Doug Mason 3 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

At pages 27 to 29 of its article, Does the Bible Tell Us the Whole Story About Jesus?, “The Watchtower” of April 1, 2010 discusses the subject: “Who Selected the Canon?

The Watch Tower claims that Professor Oskar Skarsaune and Professor Kenneth Berding provide support for its contention that the list of Christian Greek Scriptures was a product of some first-century Christians who were endowed with “superhuman abilities”, and that the canon was not established in the second century.

Does “The Watchtower” tell the whole story on who selected the Canon?

Does it tell the whole story from the scholars that it quotes?

http://www.jwstudies.com/Does_The_Watchtower_Tell_Us_the_Whole_Story.pdf

Doug

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy
    What bull most if not all NT books were written during or after the 2nd century.
  • Atlantis
    Atlantis

Doug:

Thank you very much!

Atlantis!

• Bugbear
    Bugbear

I have spent several years in the university, studying History of Ideas and Science and I have learnt that “scholars” at least in the western world agree on one point. This is that a bishop from Alexandria had a mayor influence over what was to be considered as “canonic” letters. This bishop was Athanastasious, well known as the creator of the trinity dogma. This was after a big battle with the Arians, who couldn´t accept that God was three….

Athanstasious have left letters (still stored at the Vatican library) telling all the early congs. in Asia and Italy, which written material, that could be considered as “canonic” . You also must know that during this time there was a numerous different letters circling around in all those first established congs. In fact We have almost noting of the original letters so all of these later letters must be based pure on oral tradition (They are all based on transcriptions of translations of transcriptons …….!!!)

If you want to know more of the origin of the “canonic” scriptures I strongly recommend you to look up prof. Barth Ehrman on YouTube. You can listen to his lessons there and get much information only from that…..

Bugbear

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit