worldlies at the KH?

by smurfette 12 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I cannot believe I let strangers take my mother off to sleep elsewhere and I thought it was fine.
    I swear!!! I never laid a finger on her!!!

• Swan
    Swan

I remember when my Mom started a Bible study with our good friend Marge. Marge's husband Mac worked with my Dad and shared many of the same interests, such as raising goats. So that is how we came to know them. Eventually Mac died and Marge was all alone. She asked my Mom if she would be executor of her will and left almost everything to the local KH but Marge was going to donate her car to Mom. Mom said that she didn't have to leave her a car, that it could go to the KH too, but Marge insisted that Mom get the car for all the years of travel to have the Bible study. Mom agreed.

I remember once when my Mom took us to the Albany meeting in order to indoctrinate introduce Marge to her local congregation. Since this was a friend that my mom had started a study with through incidental witnessing, Marge was actually part of the Albany territory. After the meeting Mom asked Marge what she thought. She said that she notice that they all "parroted" what the Watchtower said rather than comment with their own ideas. We kids were all rather shocked that she would say such a critical thing, but Mom said Marge had a right to that opinion.

The study was soon after turned over to someone in Albany as Marge never progressed as evidenced by her failure to quit smoking. Mom had taken to heart the assembly counsel that stressed not wasting our time on Bible studies that didn't progress rapidly. So Mom turned her over to a sister in Albany hoping that the change would help bring Marge into the "Truth." We still visited Marge however. Eventually the study with the new sister ended.

Years later Marge was able to be reunited with the daughter she had given up for adoption many years before. Marge was thrilled and Mom was so happy for her. Naturally Marge wanted to change her will but was afraid Mom would take it badly. When she approached Mom about it, Mom was very understanding and said "Of course you want to leave it to your daughter." Mom believed that the Society only wanted people without heirs to leave their estate to the Society. They wouldn't want to deprive Marge's daughter of her inheritance. So the will was changed.

It is obvious to me years later that Marge was a person who eventually saw the cult-like aspects of this strange religion before she got into it too deeply, but didn't want to hurt her friend.

Thank you Marge.

Tammy

• undercover
    undercover

Workmates came to a family member's wedding at the hall. They asked why we couldn't afford a "nicer" building if there were so many JWs in town.

What really go them though, was the wedding talk. The part on the wife's part in respecting her husband and how he is the head and she must submit to him, blah, blah, blah. For days at work they went on about that. Partly making fun of it, partly ridiculing it. "Yea, tell that to my wife" was the common sarcastic thread. They came to the reception, there was no alcohol, they were pretty much ignored by everyone, they left.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit