J R Brown

by Slidin Fast 10 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

I have been reading John Bechtel's blog. Someone provided a link recently and it is brilliant. Anyone that enjoys personal experiences including bethel tales will love this. This quote is a great story at the expense of J R Brown. I challenge you to read it without a chuckle. Enjoy!

http://www.johnbechtelblog.com

Although these French-speaking congregations in Brooklyn and Newark were composed entirely of Haitians and a handful of us Bethelites, a black American Circuit Overseer named Brother Brown was assigned as our Circuit Overseer. Brother Brown’s French was considerably worse than mine, which in itself is a stretch of credulity, but I also thought he was very pompous and full of himself. Having completely forgotten my own egregious sins in the arrogance department just a few years before in Oil City, I felt it encumbent upon me to take some of the wind out of Brother Brown’s sails. I approached him after a church service one evening and asked to speak to him in private. Now when a member of the congregation asks for a private audience, you know something of grave concern is about to be brought up. I explained with a solemn expression that my roommate, a skinny French kid named Dominique, had been obfuscating for some time. I had not told anyone about it until now, but it was getting out of hand, I explained. Only this week Dominique had obfuscated publicly, right in the elevator at Bethel. Obviously, I was counting on (a) Brother Brown not knowing what obfuscation meant, and (b) his not being willing to acknowledge that fact and actually ask me what it meant. Brother Brown lived up to my expectations, nodded his head gravely, thanked me for bringing this to his attention, and told me he would keep it in confidence and take appropriate action. Of course when Brother Brown got home and looked up obfuscation in the dictionary, he knew he’d been had. Brother Brown was never able to look me in the face again. I learned recently that Brother Brown today is the Public Spokesperson for the organization. How utterly appropriate. (In explanation to my reader, the word obfuscate means to obscure. This word is perhaps most often used to refer to political speeches where the goal is to use a lot of words but conceal your real position on matters. I chose the word obfuscate because of its double meaning, and also because to a JW elder who is always on the lookout for sexual infractions, it sounded ominous and brought to mind masturbate ??? A triple twist in this situation was that the Latin root words of obfuscate are ob (in the way) and fuscus (dark brown), so my use of obfuscate was also a play on words with Brother Brown. Oh well, you had to be there.)

• Barrold Bonds
    Barrold Bonds
    I haven't heard a peep out of JR Brown in a long time.
  • wannaexit
    wannaexit
    J.R Brown--another pompous ass
  • Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

The title was supposed to be J R Brown and Obfuscation but the end got chopped off.

I love the way he was set up in this story.

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

Maybe because he is a shitty spokesman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfOx2BsS_6k

• Magnum
    Magnum

I haven't, either, and I've been wondering about him. Some years ago, I heard him give a couple of talks - one at a special city event in a big city auditorium and another at a Kingdom Hall dedication. He came across as being one of the most arrogant, pompous jerks I've ever been exposed to.

I'm surprised he hasn't appeared in any of the broadcasts (maybe he has and I'm just not aware of it).

• compound complex
    compound complex

John, Dom and I were together in the French congregation, but earlier than referred to here. I had already left. We were on the ground floor of the "French Work." It was a joy working with the loving and lovable Haitians.

Our weekends (once off work at noon on Saturday) were spent in the field and doing meetings. Our school and service meeting were Saturday night (we shared the Manhattan upstairs room with 3 other congregations), we returned home around midnight, got up early Sunday morning to spend the day in field service, took luncheon with the dear and generous Haitian friends (who stuffed us), then went to Sunday meeting at 4:00 p.m. and tried to stay awake.

After we cleaned up our rented meeting room, we took the subway home and arrived back to Bethel around 7:30 p.m. It was like this every weekend. It was fun but this nonstop routine eventually exhausted even the strongest of us.

I wouldn't have traded the above for anything. It made the NY experience bearable. Sadly, the physical and mental strain of meeting prep (We delivered all parts in French, of course.), travel, and helping the friends with their personal problems took its toll.

God, it was a blast!

CoCo

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

Lovely reminiscence CC. The Haitions sound just great. I remember how trodden down they were in the DR on a visit there by people who were themselves trodden down.

I love the honesty of John's blog. He doesn't just berate the whole edifice of the WT he tries to understand it. The story he relates about JRB appeals to me enormously. It illustrates the bankruptcy of the education ban. P

• sir82
    sir82
    Heh, I wonder what he would have said if told a number of the sisters in the congregation were known thespians?
  • WingCommander
    WingCommander
    @ sir82: "Known thespians" - Classic!!!!! I'm sure that would've gotten them a JC, naughty sister thespians, always having their noses down in the grind, where it doesn't belong! lol

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit