Why go online

by asp59 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• asp59
    asp59

So why do you think org went online? They were selling KHs left and right for years. Plus video talks and new building for filming videos. It's been on the plan before Covid for sure. A To little people at the meetings and most old. B They need the money and have to sell KHs. C Not new members in the western world so no point with congregations. D They lost control of congregations and elders were not interested in following instructions. E Too much risk with child molesters at KHs and lawsuits. F If you are a believer. Maybe they think org is the first to go in the GT so no point having KHs. G Too much infighting amongst members. H Maybe a mix of all the reasons above 🤔

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

the internet fucked the watchtower.

• kramer
    kramer

None of the above, people prefer to read online and it’s much cheaper to deliver. The halls will all be open post COVID. Control and contributions won’t work with a video only model.

• Anna Marina
    Anna Marina

At first they were anti-things like Facebook - then they did an about turn. As if someone up-top had a light-bulb moment.

I think the Zoom meetings give them greater psychological control - they can analyse eye movement, vocabulary, willingness to engage. The official website will provide futher data. They can set out key performance indicators and use the electric cattle prod of statistical targets to make life unbearable for everyone. After all Prince Albert (Queen Victoria's husband) said the new religion would be statistics.

Statistics tend to work a treat - and with WT's Jackson-Pollock-does-rocket-science approach to arithmetic, should be a total mind-bender.

I don't doubt they want contributions but above all they'd want performance.

• Listener
    Listener

Their books and magazines became too expensive to print so they needed some other way to distribute their propaganda and the Internet became their only logical choice.

• Mr.Finkelstein
    Mr.Finkelstein

So why do you think org went online?

They saw it to be advantageous in many ways, one being that can sell themselves to the public easily on a broader spectrum to the general population and secondly it was seen as a cheaper way to get their religoius message out as printing costs grew over the years.

The WTS can now operate at a much cheaper cost in comparison to its operations in the past.

It still tries to extrapolate as much money it can out its devoted followers though with devious dishonest tactics.

• pistolpete
    pistolpete

I think the Zoom meetings give them greater psychological control - they can analyse eye movement, vocabulary, willingness to engage.

Anna, who in the Kingdom Hall is going to do this?-----------The Elders?

Most of the elders barely finished High School. They don't know anything about psychological control. Analyzing eye movement would probably be considered demonic by most JWs. And Vocabulary willingness to engage is just considered "spiritually weak"

The Watchtower is going online because they have no choice. The world changed right before their eyes and there was nothing they could do to stop the change except to jump on the band wagon or just become obsolete more quickly.

• Anna Marina
    Anna Marina

Pistolpete - there is software that is used to monitor truck drivers to tell when they are sleepy at the wheel. Presumabley the owner of the truck company did not design the software, just gets the infomation it collects. Therefore, I think WT might get access to software it can use to monitor people's faces and discern how they are listening/engaging.

You underestimate them if you think the elders know nothing about psychological control. Maybe not all but some are extremely clever. They play the congregations like a game of billiards.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

I think they realized that everyone will have internet access and just having a basic website would only get people online and then they would start looking around more.

At least this way, they can flood the website with more stuff than anyone can watch so there is no reason to go anywhere else.

They follow the model of the Mormons; Internet, Roku, etc.

• pistolpete
    pistolpete

I think they realized that everyone will have internet access and just having a basic website would only get people online and then they would start looking around more.

I agree RubaDub, and this is what people will find online once they start looking around

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2016/11/28/australian-jehovahs-witnesses-protected-over-a-thousand-members-accused-of-child-abuse-report-says/

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit