The Society Wrote Back To Me

by johnathanseagull 17 Replies latest jw friends

• johnathanseagull
    johnathanseagull

Ok the background to this story , I wrote to the German Bethel, with a screen capture of their web site, where they still promote the pre 1995 definition of the "Generation". I wrote on the premise that I fell away due to this change in 1995 and what is their stance now as I would like to start studying again LMAO ( I did tell a few personal white lies, theocratic warfare right?, in order that they felt they could write back to me ).....................Never thought they would write back, it took them nearly four weeks to reply, interestingly enough, there is an email address on the letter, my letter is first, so you can get the gist, then their "exact" reply, (with the help of "GermanJW" for translation purposes,many thanksGJW )

The Watchtower Society

Niederselters,

Am Steinfels,

D-65618 Selters

For the Attention of the Service Desk

My name adress

blah Blah Blah

Dear Brothers

I first apologise for writing this in English as this is my mother tongue. I was for a few years attending my local Kingdom Hall in XXXX, I was never baptized, but fell away due to various misconceptions I had regarding a certain doctrine. I have since moved to live and work in Germany and have considered starting once again a bible study followed by attending the Kingdom hall.

One of reason why I drifted away was the 1995 change to the way the organisation defined the "Generation" of Matthew 24. Before Nov 1995, it was defined as the persons born around the year 1914, at that this generation will not pass away before the prophecies of Matthew 24 come to pass. The society claimed that this Generation was quantitive in nature i.e a generation is of 70-80 years, (the society has made this claim)

It then said that the generation was now contemporary to 1914. and this was the quote from the Watchtower Nov 1st 1995 on page 19:

"Therefore, in the final fulfillment of Jesus' prophecy today, "this generation" apparently refers to the peoples of the earth who see the sign of Christ's presence but fail to mend their ways. In contrast, we as Jesus' disciples refuse to be molded by the life-style of "this generation."

To my surprise I looked on your official website and found myself at the following link. I have made a screen capture of this in order to ensure my point is clarified. This screen caputue was made today 30th June 2003.

Screen Capture enclosed

Please note in the second paragraph where it states, "Thus all the features of the last days must take place within the lifetime of one generation, the generation of 1914, So some people who were alive in 1914, will still be alive when this system comes to an end. The society here indicates the pre 1995 stance on the generation definition. I am now confused as to this, my question is therefore, has the society reverted back to it’s pre 1995 teaching?. This was a prime reason I stopped going to the meetings as I felt uncomfortable with this change. I eventually drifted away. I would be grateful if you could reply to me indicating what the society now believe to be Jehovah’s will on the matter

I look forward to hearing from you very soon, as I wish to start studying again

With Christian Love

Mr Blah blah

THE REPLY...............

Adresss etc blah blah

"Thankyou for your letter. We have checked the enclosed screen hardcopy and found out that the source is the brochure "What Is the Purpose of Life" that was published as early as 1993 (in German). We think that this is the answer to your question. We hope that we served your needs and wish you all the best.

Sincerly,"

Blah blah

Soooooooo, there is a slight possibility that because my letter was in English then it might of confused them, but let me assure you, I'm English and live and work in Germany and English is widely used and understood here.........I leave it to your own thoughts

JGull

• obiwan
    obiwan

It was an easy way to get out of the real issue of changing timelines when it suits them. They just didn't want to deal with it.

• Gamaliel
    Gamaliel

Sounds like the Society (Gesellschaft) used a slight bit of diversion because they know better than to plainly admit that this is a "tangible" change in policy. JWs like to keep a low profile for this change, so that it becomes not a change, per se, but a clarification of understanding. They don't like how the "apostate" sites have "made too much" of the flickering lights and blinking lights metaphors.

When repeated often enough, the language that a JW uses to express the change in position on the "generation" can be interpreted as a "shibboleth" or touchstone to one's "maturity." ("Maturity" to the WTS, ironically means how much like babes we imitate and regurgitate rather than choose our own words to express ideas.)

Gamaliel

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

They are saying: "Yes, we know that the information on the website is wrong, but that is only because the information in our literature is wrong."

It would appear that Jehover's Organization is not keeping up with itself.

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

I agree with Elsewhere here. There's nothing deceptive about the response... in fact, if you asked any of us here, I'm sure we could have told you the same thing.

To me, it just demonstrates the lockstep control the Society is in. Not only can they not create original material for the website--they have to recycle the written publications--but they can't even edit "mistakes"!

At least, on the plus side, it's a certain form of honesty, that reveals to anyone looking that they change their doctrine.

• GermanXJW
    GermanXJW

Yes, their reply was the truth. But it was not an answer to the question.

Q: Why do you publish old information on your current WebSite?

A: Yes, it is old indeed...

Strange.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I think that the editors of the website have no real control over its content. Someone in the service department simply threw together an outline which was then passed to the web people. They guy who put it together never really read the material... he just knew it followed a certain theme that he wanted The web people who are responsible for the web site are in no position to question the FDS and therefore published it.

If the situation is ever corrected then it means that some poor naive web editor sent an email to the service department pointing out the error. The service department then charged the guy with "nit-picking" Jehover's Organization and grilled him in a JC for at least five hours. If he cried and begged enough he got to go back to scrubbing toilets, but if he did not put on a good enough show they tossed him out.

• rocketman
    rocketman

It took four weeks for them to write that?

• paterfamilias
    paterfamilias

JGull, thanks for posting the reply you received from the branch office -- though it wasn't much of a reply! LOL

So, by this they're apparently implying that there's no need for the site to be updated. As long you know that the material dates back to a 1993 publication (and, therefore, old light), there is no further explanation required? I assume they bought your ruse of being someone who wants to study again, so how is this answer supposed to motivate you?

For those who haven't yet seen the material in all its glory, here's the linkage. I still can't believe how they can get away with this. I guess it just shows how few people actually read the site -- including JWs!

• run dont walk
    run dont walk
    I have since moved to live and work in Germany and have considered starting once again a bible study followed by attending the Kingdom hall.

I look forward to hearing from you very soon, as I wish to start studying again

THE REPLY...............

Adresss etc blah blah

"Thankyou for your letter. We have checked the enclosed screen hardcopy and found out that the source is the brochure "What Is the Purpose of Life" that was published as early as 1993 (in German). We think that this is the answer to your question. We hope that we served your needs and wish you all the best.

Sincerly,"

What I find amazing is, they DID NOT even try to encourage you a LITTLE bit about studying again. No ENCOURAGEMENT AT ALL.

their true colors show, don't they !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit