MacHislopp

Hello everyone,

We have never read " officially " about homosexual problems at the
    Bethel in New York , but can often read something that the WTS wrote
    abouth other religions:

*** g90 3/22 29
    Watching the World *

HOMOSEXUAL CLERGY

“It’s time that someone said it bluntly,” writes cleric Andrew Greeley in the National Catholic Reporter. “Church leaders are guilty of yet one more folly, one that is destroying everything for which the Catholic priesthood once stood.” What is that? “Church leadership is tolerating a double standard on celibacy and, because of stupidity and cowardice, permitting the priesthood to become substantially, perhaps in due course mostly, gay,” says Greeley.

While acknowledging that “many priests, bishops, popes and even saints in ages past have probably been more homosexual than heterosexual in their orientation,” he believes that current ecclesiastical policy toward the sexuality of priests is causing the clergy to become predominantly homosexual, damaging even more “the already tarnished image of the priesthood.” Greeley adds: “It appears that many homosexual priests ordained in the past two decades are sexually active and that some of them are also pedophiles [prefer children as sex objects].”

And what about the "Victims of Pedophile Priests "?

*** g93 4/8 31 Victims of Pedophile Priests Speak Out
    Victims of Pedophile Priests Speak Out

“DURING the past decade, some 400 Roman Catholic priests have been reported to church or civil authorities for sexual abuse of children,” according to U.S.News & World Report. Recently, a national gathering of survivors of such abuse was held near Chicago, Illinois. Many spoke openly of how they had been victimized by pedophile priests.

But NCR (National Catholic Reporter) notes that speakers sounded another theme repeatedly throughout the conference: “The first abuse is sexual; the second and more painful, is psychological.” This second abuse occurs when the church refuses to listen to victims of abuse, fails to take their accusations seriously, and moves only to protect the offending priests. “Fairly or unfairly,” NCR reports, “they portrayed Catholic clergy as belonging to an unhealthy and misguided group more bent on preserving privilege and power than in serving lay needs.” Several speakers made ominous comparisons to the Reformation, which split the church wide open in the 16th century.

According to Richard Sipe, a former priest turned psychotherapist and expert on sexual abuse by Catholic clergy, all this institutional denial reveals “a deep, desperate and knowing personal involvement in the problem.” He added: “The church knows and has known for a long time a great deal about the sexual activity of its priests. It has looked the other way, tolerated, covered up and simply lied about the broad spectrum of sexual activity of its priests.”

Not surprisingly, then, many abuse survivors are suing the church. NCR quotes one attorney who specializes in such cases as saying that there are pedophile-priest cases in each of the church’s 188 dioceses in the United States. He says that out-of-court settlements have run as high as $300,000 per case. U.S.News & World Report says that such suits have already cost the church $400,000,000, a figure that could surge to $1 billion by the year 2000. And the Canadian Press reported recently that some 2,000 survivors of childhood sexual abuse in 22 church-run orphanages and mental institutions in Quebec are suing six religious orders for $1.4 billion in damages.

Interestingly, though, the aforementioned U.S. attorney, who represents 150 victims of pedophile priests in 23 states, says that he has never yet had a client who was eager to go to court. Each one first tried to seek justice “within the pastoral context of the church.” NCR concludes: “Survivors go to the courts, it appears, not as a first resort, but as a last resort.”

Are they (WTS ) worried about similar implications?
    What about the out-of-court settlements, and the billions of dollars costs?

Agape, J.C. MacHislopp

• joelbear
    joelbear

Sigh,

Homosexual does not equal pedophile. Even if you link them a billion times, it still won't be true.

My bet is, every religion has numerous homosexuals in a variety of roles simply because homosexuals in my experience carry such a tremendous load of guilt that they figure they can ease it by being spiritually active.

Of course, it don't make the desires go away, suppressing them indeed makes them eke out in sometime horrific and harmful ways both to the homosexual himself and to those around him including innocent children.

Homosexuals, like brussel sprouts, are here to stay, like it or not.
    Try suppressing a brussel sprout and just see what happens.

vegetablely hugs

Joel

• logical
    logical
    Homosexuals, like brussel sprouts, are here to stay, like it or not.

Thats not what the Bible teaches...

Interesting you should compare homosexuals with a vegetable very few people like.

• XJWBill
    XJWBill

Uh, J.C., the main "problem" these news articles refer to is sexual molestation of children. Please understand that the vast majority of gay men have NO sexual interest in children at all. Or do you still believe what the WTBTS told us, that all homosexuals are nasty drug addicts, thieves, and child molesters? It just ain't so, my friend.

I worked in social services for over a decade, and I can tell you first-hand that the vast majority of child molestation cases are performed by "normal" heterosexual men on little girls--typically by the mother's boyfriend or second husband.

The "problem" is not with heterosexuality or homosexuality--it is with those sad souls of either persuasion who entice children.

Just setting the record "straight"! :-)

Bill

"If we all loved one another as much as we say we love God, I reckon there wouldn't be as much meanness in the world as there is."--from the movie Resurrection (1979)

• MacHislopp
    MacHislopp

Hello everyone,

I'm sorry if I have caused a misunderstanding.
    My point was to show how quickly and ...without problem the WTS
    strongly attacks and criticize other...while overlooking or worst
    ignoring seriou problems in their own midst..Bethel included.

Agape, J.C. MacHislopp

• safe4kids
    safe4kids

Hi JC,

Interesting post...I remembered that the society loved to attack the Catholic Church but it's always nice to have the proof in front of me. Couple of things...I agree with Joel and Bill that just because a man is gay doesn't mean that he's also a pedophile. In fact, most pedophilic cases I've heard of involved apparently straight men molesting children. I do know personally of one case where a homosexual male molested several boys...incidentally, he was an elder in one of the congs I attended growing up. But I also wanted to say that, when I read your post, I didn't get the impression you were attacking gays but rather pointing out the hypocrisy of the JWs. I think the Catholic church has been utterly disgusting for the way they've handled allegations of child abuse...but I have never heard of them pointing the finger at other religions...to me, the JWs are twice as guilty and reprehensible.
    Just my two cents...

<"A woman without a man is like a fish without a bicycle.">

• XJWBill
    XJWBill

J.C., I think I get your point, and you're right--it's really strange (and laughable) how the WTBTS with its authoritarianism and secrecy so strongly resembles those perceived flaws in the Catholic Church that the WT has been foaming at the mouth about all these years! A classic case of the pot calling the kettle black, I think.

The real point is that ALL big, bureaucratic organizations--secular or religious--tend to develop the same kinds of flaws. That's because they are all made up of us flawed human beings--no organization is any better than the sum total of its members.

So much for "Jehovah's clean, spirit-directed organization." It is NOT the spiritual paradise it claims to be.

Nevertheless, I'm still wondering what those news articles have to do with "problems at Bethel." What problems? Are the Bethel boys doing something peculiar with printer's ink and newsprint? Inquiring minds want to know . . . . :-)

Bill

"If we all loved one another as much as we say we love God, I reckon there wouldn't be as much meanness in the world as there is."--from the movie Resurrection (1979)

• SanFranciscoJim
    SanFranciscoJim

Logical,

"Thats not what the Bible teaches...
    Interesting you should compare homosexuals with a vegetable very few people like."

I'm glad you recognized Joelbear's comparison. It simply furthers the point I've been making for years: Why on Earth would someone deliberately choose to live a way of life which forces them to face condemnation round every bend? I surely wouldn't have chosen this life for myself, (before I'm accused of internalized homophobia, neither would a terminal cancer patient or a leper choose their lot in life) but I've learned to play the hand I've been dealt. Homosexuality is not, I repeat, not a choice! If I have to spend the rest of my life facing the condemnation of most of the world's religions, and the majority of humankind because of what their religions have taught them, then so be it. It will not stop me from loving the man in my life, for whom I would gladly give my life for.

As regards what the Bible says about homosexuality, once again the English (mis)translation is being applied. After studying the scriptures in their original linguistic texts as I have done for over two decades, I'm sure you would draw an entirely different conclusion. I have written an essay entitled "Homosexuality - What the Bible Really Says". It is a simplification of my studies written for the lay reader who wants to gain a basic understanding of why the passages most commonly used to condemn homosexuality have been misinterpreted. The link to the essay is:
    * http://www.gayxjw.org/bible.html

• logical
    logical

RUBBISH!!!!!

Why would Jah build in homosexuality and then condemn it??? And even more ridiculous, Jesus warned against it!

Or, are you calling the heavenly Father and His son a LIAR??????

Let's see... some people are "born" murderers... oh its ok, its in their "genes" so its OK for them to murder innocent people. Like Hitler.

The Bible warns against those who call right "wrong" and wrong "right", which is EXACTLY what YOU are doing.

• SanFranciscoJim
    SanFranciscoJim

I rest my case.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit