Forum plans and policy

by Simon 31 Replies latest jw friends

• Simon
    Simon

In case anyone is wondering about our registration policy:
    I don't intend to turn people away who want to register and post or make ultra-strict registration procedures because I honestly don't think that they work. If I were to ask for names of congregations or presiding overseers then I have no real way of checking if they are correct. Asking for words out of current literature (such as KMs) won't work either because people can get hold of this quite easily and would be a bit of a pain to administer. I think it also gives a bad witness in that it makes us look like we're a "paranoid cult who see enemies at every turn".
    This doesn't mean of course that I will allow posts of an obvious apostate nature or those that are abusive. The forum software is not completely finished yet but I am putting in place features for monitoring individuals posts if they are suspected of trying to cause trouble and warning or barring them if neccessary (although given the ease of getting a new identity on the Internet this is really a last resort).
    I hope the board gets busy enough so that I need some help moderating it but again, there is no way for me to confirm anyone's good standing or not unless I know them personally. I will just have to see who makes regular and reasonable contributions to decide who would be most suitable (and I don't want it to end up where the moderators have to be moderated).
    There are subjects that I believe should and need to be discussed which some would call controversial. I don't intend to prevent these as long as the discussions are constructive. Please be patient with those you don't agree with and don't be too quick to judge or to take offence.
    If anyone has any comments or concerns, please let me know. Your input will help to turn this forum into the one you want it to be.

- Simon

Edited by - Simon on 25 March 2000 20:19:29

• Merlin
    Merlin

Simon, I hope you can stand by your words.

There's too much paranoia on the Net already, and simply having an opinion of your own doesn't turn you into an apostate right away. Besides, it's not up to us to judge hearts.

Perhaps some people need a safe environment, where they only hear what they want to hear. If that's the kind of place you want to create, then, by all means, do so, but let me predict (as a qualified wizard, hehe) that that will be the beginning of the end of your board.

If one's convinction depends on closing one's ears, eyes and mind for differing opinions, instead of being able to refute them in a satisfactorily manner, than this conviction is based on ignorance, and not on truth.

OK, didn't mean to get philosophical, but I hope you catch my drift.

Any way, good luck with your board. May it prosper.

The one and only
    ~Merlin~

• ComelyRmyFeet
    ComelyRmyFeet

So, is your name Simon, Caliban, or what?

Edited by - ComelyRmyFeet on 31 March 2000 12:6:8

• Simon
    Simon

1) My name is Simon.
    2) I have used the name Caliban (from Isaac Asimov's excellent Foundation books) but am aware that other(s) have posted using the same name (as of course they are totally free to do).
    3) I am not hiding behind any alias but I have nothing against other people doing so if they wish to.
    4) I think registering to make one post and then changing the email address in your registration is a bit childish and a little dishonest.

• claudia
    claudia

I go by another name on a parenting forum(non-religious)It doesnt mean anything deceptive.

• borgfree
    borgfree
    This doesn't mean of course that I will allow posts of an obvious apostate nature

Wow, am I in the wrong place.

I saw Thunder Rider brought back an oldie so I thought I would try one. Kind of fun looking back.

Borgfree

• Simon
    Simon

eek !

• Valis
    Valis
    This doesn't mean of course that I will allow posts of an obvious apostate nature

Simon...are you jesting mate or do I need to get readin glasses for me glasses?

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• Mulan
    Mulan

Very funny, Simon. I was concerned until I checked the date.

• Valis
    Valis

DOH!!! Simon...*LOL* You blimey limey! BTW you have mail on the admin account.

Sincerely,

DistrictOverbeer

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit