MUST READ - NEWSPAPER ARTICLE

by SHUNNED FATHER 39 Replies latest jw friends

• SHUNNED FATHER
    SHUNNED FATHER

Bethany's battle rages a year after her death Parents fight for custody of little sister

Kerry Williamson
    Calgary Herald

Thursday, July 17, 2003

CREDIT: Calgary Herald Archive
    Lawrence Hughes blames his wife for his daughter Bethany's death on Sept. 5, 2002.
    Arliss, Bethany and Cassandra Hughes in May 2003.
    Lawrence and Arliss Hughes embraced at their daughter's funeral.
    Bethany Hughes

When Bethany Hughes was buried at a north Calgary cemetery after her tough fight with cancer, her parents came together in tears and hugged beside her casket.

Close to a year later, however, and the once-close couple is again fighting through the courts, that moment amidst the grief of a funeral light years away.

"I wish we didn't have to do this," says Lawrence Hughes, Bethany's father, who fought hard to have his daughter undergo blood transfusions against her will and the will of her mother, Arliss. "It's not easy. But if this fight saves one life, it's worth it."

Hughes and his estranged wife will again face off in Calgary's Court of Queen's Bench this afternoon, a continuation of a bitter divorce and custody case sparked by the death of 17-year-old Bethany last September.

The Calgary teen died of acute myeloid leukemia while seeking alternative treatment at Edmonton's Cross Cancer Institute.

She made headlines nationwide after refusing to undergo blood transfusions because of her strong Jehovah's Witnesses faith.

Her father went against her and his wife, convincing the province to force his daughter to undergo 38 transfusions.

Bethany -- who used the name Mia in the media to protect her identity -- fought the protection order, claiming it was her right as a mature person to make her own medical decisions.

Bethany Hughes even tried to pull the medical tubes from her arms while bedridden at Alberta Children's Hospital.

Doctors who first determined she would die without transfusions eventually decided that she was too sick to face further chemotherapy sessions and gave up their custody of Bethany. She died Sept. 5, 2002.

Lawrence Hughes claims the Watchtower Society and his wife played a major role in his daughter's death by fighting the transfusions, and filed a scathing 17-point notice of motion with the court in April.

He is now fighting for sole custody of the couple's youngest daughter, 16-year-old Cassandra, who lives with her mother and is also a Jehovah's Witness. He claims he has only been allowed to see Cassandra three times since last summer, and is seeking to have her completely free of any influence of her faith and the society, which he believes has brainwashed his daughter and wife.

He is also calling on Arliss Hughes to be charged with criminal negligence over the death of Bethany, and for his wife and Cassandra to take "regular intense therapy sessions with a cult deprogrammer."

"I'm concerned about my daughter, what she's being taught and whether she will be allowed to get medical treatment if she falls sick," says Hughes.

"I want to be a part of her life. I want to see my daughter. I don't think it is right that I have to fight a billion-dollar corporation so I can see my daughter. I don't think that makes sense."

Shane Brady, the Toronto-based lawyer for Arliss Hughes, says Lawrence Hughes' allegations are "outrageous."

"He's saying that Arliss basically killed Bethany because she was so irresponsible, and because of that she shouldn't have custody of Cassandra," says Brady, whom Hughes also wants off the case because of his connections to the Watchtower Society.

"There's also some outrageous things being said about the religious community."

Arliss Hughes also wishes the court cases were over. She rigorously defends herself -- and her faith -- against any accusations that she put Bethany's health at risk, and believes Cassandra should be left to decide whom she lives with.

"I really don't see what this (Hughes' allegations) has to do with a divorce. This is about difference between a husband and a wife. In that sense, I think the children should be left out of it," she says. "This is about a couple who don't agree anymore, but who still love their children, and the children shouldn't be put in the middle."

Arliss Hughes says she did all she could to help Bethany. "I did everything she asked of me. We tried everything we could think of to get the doctors to take care of Bethany," she says.

As the anniversary of her death edges closer, the estranged couple do have one thing in common: the thoughts and memories of Bethany.

"To me, it's the little things that I think of, that remind me of her," says Arliss.

"I think of her every day," says Lawrence.

[email protected]

• IslandWoman
    IslandWoman
    He is also calling on Arliss Hughes to be charged with criminal negligence over the death of Bethany,

This is sick. The "criminal negligence", if there was any, started when Bethany was raised a Witness and taught the Witness blood doctrine by both her parents.

This is a stab in the heart to those exJWs who have lost children to the Witness blood doctrine.

Disgusting.

IW

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu
    Bethany Hughes even tried to pull the medical tubes from her arms while bedridden at Alberta Children's Hospital.

The Society encourages this. I remember reading it in a WT publication somewhere (possibly the blood brocure?)

• Swan
    Swan
    "There's also some outrageous things being said about the religious community."

Now all of a sudden they are part of the religious community. What hypocrites!

Tammy

• jgnat
    jgnat

Does the WTS claim that the Madam Justice C. A. Kent's comments were outrageous?

Madam Justice C. A. Kent, April 10, 2002.

[67] First, I had thought that we as a society had come to understand that what occurred under Nazi rule was a singular event because it was so horrible. It is not something that should be lightly used as a comparator. Second, if [Bethany’s mother] truly believes what she says, then it is a very strong indication that she has no perspective on her child's current medical situation. She cannot make decisions for her or advise her.

[68] That conclusion is fortified by [the mother’s] actions at the hospital. On March 4, Dr. Saunders writes at 1:15 p.m. (hospital records, p. 340), "[Bethany] struggled with her IV line during transfuse. 3 people required to hold her to keep her safe. I allowed Mom to stay if she promised not to touch her lines & use only verbal protest. She was unable to comply. I suggest that Mother not be by her side for next transfusion." It is troubling to hear that [Bethany’s] mother would risk harm to her child by tampering with medical equipment during a procedure. I am not talking about the long-term issues of whether or not to receive blood transfusions. I am talking about the immediate physical harm to [Bethany] if the lines were removed improperly.

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

Regardless of the outcome of this case, the Watchtower society has made fools of themselves in public, yet again.

With every step they make (suing for Vicki Boer's legal costs, paying for ill-concieved newspaper ads in Sweden, and forbidding life-sustaining medical treatments), they dig their public relations hole a little deeper.

Is this corporation run by fools? It certainly looks like it.

• Alleymom
  • bluesapphire
    bluesapphire

This is really sad. I feel sorry for Concerned Father that he should have to go through this after losing his precious daughter. Hopefully someday, with enough of this type of pressure, the Watchtower Society will change their stance on the blood issue. Too many sad deaths have occurred. Perhaps Bethany would still have died. But her last months would not have been spent int his horrific way. Something tells me though, that the old goobers in Crooklyn view this as "persecution".

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

Thanks for posting that article Shunned Father.

So very sorry to read, yet again, of another agonizing battle ahead with regards to the impending child custody battle.

Blue Sapphire, I would agree with you. The WTS and their followers, will look upon this as 'persecution'. Which, as you know, plays right into the believers' hearts and minds.

Seems like a Catch22 with these folks, at every turn.

Aren't many of you glad that you are FREE of all of this?

I wish the father luck in gaining custody of his other daughter. This one is also, not going to be easy.

• Simon
    Simon

Hi Lawrence

Sorry to hear they are still putting you through all this. I'm sure there isn't a day goes by when you don't think of her.

IW: I think that is a very insensitive and blinkered viewpoint. Yes, as parents we're responsible for what we teach our kids and are responsible for them. Does this mean that if we've believed something that we can never change our minds? That if we find out some information we trusted is wrong that we have to follow it anyway?

The problem with the WTS is that is has interfered with the parents being able to make these choices and it's dogmatic insistance on a half-baked doctrine has contributed to a young girls death and put pressure on people when they least need it. It is an order enough to have a child so ill and facing death but to have WTS lawyers on your back is despicable.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit