Well, here's my story

by ignorance is strength 16 Replies latest jw experiences

• ignorance is strength
    ignorance is strength

Well here's my story:

I was born into a JW family, my father having been converted and not really much of a believer and my mother being born into it . My mother's family first became involved with JW's when my great grandmother was converted from, I think, catholicism (I'm only saying that b/c she was irish).

Growing up I never really fit into the JW children's social circles and didn't want to. I didn't really find conversation with JW youths very interesting especially when they try to tell a joke every 5 sec (or talk about MASH reruns). I was a believer myself, being strongly indoctrinated since childhood and by 11 or 12 years old I started the process to become baptised. I was turned down. The reason: I did not spend enough time in field service (my average being about 3 hrs a month). This really made me question "the truth" especially when I saw elder's children who didn't even go out in field service or have a proper (by proper I mean knowledge above and beyond the WT publications) knowledge of the bible being baptised. I just stopped going to the meetings, but not altogether because my parents occasionally threatened to cut off my allowance if I didn't go.

During this period of my life there was a month when I started to go back to the meetings but I just couldn't stand how the WT took things in the bible completely out of context. I wasn't too crazy with WT doctrines even when I firmly believed in "the truth", I've always like politics and never saw anything wrong, biblically or morally, with doing "worldly activities" such as Remembrance Day or celebrating birthdays or THINKING INDEPENDENTLY (big thing for me, I can't respect a religion full of mindless automatons). Growing up I'd always been embarrassed about being a JW. I mean, we were the ones who pestered people, trying to convert them when they didn't appreciate or want it and the rules of the WTS are made to make us outcasts of society and kept us from befriending "worldly folk" who were much nicer and considerate than JW's.

Fortunately I did make non-JW friends, which was much easier than trying to make friends with JW's as many here would probably understand. Anyways, after I stopped going to the meetings (since we are indoctrinated to believe that all other religions besides it were false) I became an atheist; however, this was only for a short period. But for some reason I still believed in Christ. This was difficult because I couldn't accept things like the trinity or non-paradistic afterlife. But after really searching the internet, I came to see how screwed up the WT teachings and history were and how everything was twisted. Even to this day when I hear Babylon the Great, I think "world empire of false religion" (catchy, isn't it?).

I remember one time I was out with an elder in the field service and we came across a truly non-denominational Scottish Christian. We couldn't disprove the traditional thinking of hell and we even went back home to research the subject more but his reasoning and logic was just correct. The elder said he just couldn't see the truth. When we were just about to leave with our tails between our legs (but denying it all along), he directly talked to me and he said "believe whatever you want to believe, don't let anyone TELL you what to believe." This simple statement had quite an effect on me, not immediately but in the present.

Right now I'm just studying what I'm going to believe. Catholicism looks pretty good and its a very pretty religion not like the dull and visually unattractive kingdom halls. I hope to go to university in a year maybe I'll study law, or political science, or business. My parents don't really know my views on the WT and I think they'd rather have me be an atheist than a catholic or another kind of Christian, so in my view its best if they're kept in the dark (some advice plz :)).

My future does look brighter. I'm glad I'm not going to turn out to be a window washer who on his days off goes preaching a blasphemous (not trying to be righteous, just couldn't think of better word) sect. I would like to thank websites like this and the people who contribute to them for bringing out the truth about "the truth".

I could go on because there's a lot to say about my personal experience with the WT but I won't bore you any longer. So Hello to all and thank you very much!

• SpannerintheWorks
    SpannerintheWorks

Hey, welcome, IIS!

You are just a young guy! Enjoy life, don't get caught up with all this emotional blackmail nonsense!

Spanner

• jgnat
    jgnat

Welcome, ignorance_is_strength. You are obviously a strong person, but I doubt it was gained through ignorance! I can give you better advice on how to stay undercover, if I knew more about your situation. Are you still living at home?

• unique1
    unique1

Welcome aboard. Thanks for sharing.

If you want to meet other X-JW's in your area you can go to www.meetup.com and see if there is a meeting close to you. There are also apostafests held throughout the US, that are usually announced on this board.

Best Wishes in your search for religion.

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

Hello there Ignorance_Is_Strength.

Thank you for sharing your story. I hope you'll remain here and contribute to the forum.

It's nice being on the 'other side' of the JWs isn't it?

Now that's, FREEDOM!

• dmouse
    dmouse

Hello I_i_S

Welcome to the board!

• run dont walk
    run dont walk

WELCOME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nice to have another Canadian on board

• Dawn
    Dawn

Welcome Ignorance and thanks for sharing your story.

Just one thought I would like to pass along - you do not need to join ANY denomination to have a relationship with God. Religious denominations are man made. Church is a place to go to worship with other people, to make friendships with people that have similar values, and to work together to make the world a better place. But it is not where God resides - he resides within us if we invite him in. There is NO church that can channel between you and God. So keep your options open and don't feel compelled to find the one denomination that is the "right" one.

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

Well,

If you feel the need for structure in you spiritual life, there is nothing wrong with joining a religion, and Catholicism has a lot of good universities for you to explore your theological interests - and they permit a great deal of debate once you get into the upper echelons, although I don't agree with their official teachings...

Anyway, whatever you decide, don't give up your newly found intellectual freedom.

And welcome.

CZAR

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

Welcome, IIS! I'm only 21 years old, but I wish that I had been free of the WTS before I went to college; I could have enjoyed it so much more.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit