Sept 1 2003 WT: Is There Only One 'True Church'?

by Mary 45 Replies latest jw friends

• heathen
    heathen

I don't think the WT ways are any where near as cruel as the catholic church in it's day . I mean do you think shunning is as bad as having your eyes cut out or your toungue cut off ?YOu have got to be kidding .

• bluesapphire
    bluesapphire

Heathen, we're talking about two different points in history. You can't judge something from 500 years ago according to the values and judgements of the today's world view.

By today's world view, what the Watchtower does is in fact just as bad as cutting our tongues out.

• heathen
    heathen

bluesapphire ---------- I can in no way agree that what the WT does is as bad as having a toungue cut off or eyes removed . The catholic church has boasted for centuries it's the only true religion and is guilty of murder thruout the centuries by literally killing people who disagree, it still goes on in Ireland .

• Reborn2002
    Reborn2002
    I can in no way agree that what the WT does is as bad as having a toungue cut off or eyes removed

That is a matter of personal opinion.

Others would argue that they would rather lose a limb or organ instead of being cut off from their family via WT doctrine or shunned and humiliated.

Or if a person considers the current policies and practices the WT instructs regarding blood transfusions and shielding pedophiles.... or past policies like organ transplants, the WT does kill people needlessly. The WT does make people suffer. The method is different, but just as bad as inflicted physical torture or harm.

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32
    My question is, who in their right mind would fall for this?

No kidding!! No matter what religion I was, I would never want to study about it with a different religion. Of course they will point out all of the faults while praising their own.

What rubbish!

• Mary
    Mary
    I don't think the WT ways are any where near as cruel as the catholic church in it's day . I mean do you think shunning is as bad as having your eyes cut out or your toungue cut off ?YOu have got to be kidding .

Hi Heathen, I guess it's like debating which is worse on a child: physical abuse or mental and emotional abuse. While mental and emotional may not harm the child physically, the scars that it leaves can be just as devastating as physical abuse.

And what about the brothers and sisters in Malawi in the 1960 & 1970s? Look what happened to them. They were beaten, tortured, raped and murdered. Why? Because of one lousy vote taken by the Governing Body which forbade them carrying a political card. When I first read about this in Crisis of Conscience, I cried my eyes out, realizing the thousands that died horrible deaths because of one asshole in Crooklyn decided to change his mind on the vote. Yet at the same time, the brothers in Mexico were allowed to bribe authorities.

What's so pathetic about it all, is that the Catholic Church had their Inquisition hundreds of years ago when society in general practically regressed back to the Stone Age where there were no basic Rights for anyone, people were illiterate, they lived in squallor. It was a horrible period and rightly called "The Dark Ages".

With the Watchtower, their "Inquisition" has taken place most notibly within the last 30 years. They should know better.

• rocketman
    rocketman

What happened at Bethel in 1980 certainly seemed like an Inquistion. And for many, being in front of a JC feels the same way. And recently, right here at the board there's been posted the experience of Rebel, who, because she talked about her doubts on one doctrinal point, the understanding of the 144,000, to one friend suddenly found herself asked to go before before a JC. It certainly smacks of the 'ol Dark Ages.

• heathen
    heathen

Mary -- I don't know all the facts on the malawi situation but if they refused to show support for a government like that then I have to give them credit for it . Further more I am willing to bet that most of you would turn your family over to the gustapo in nazi germany before having your eyes gouged out and toungue removed . I digress here tho , The WT does claim that milosevick in yugoslavia was being manipulated by the catholic church in his ethnic cleansing crusade not long ago .I've not heard other sources confirm this but sounds likely to me .I agree that the WT goes beyond what is written at times but stil wouldn't accuse them of the violent attrocities caused by other sects .

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy
    The Truth is a Person, not an organization

AMEN! brother madman

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

I'll stick with the old truth is sounds better, The big A can't be right around the corner because we have not yet expierenced world peace.

No matter what the WT wants to claim, we have never had world peace! NEVER!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit