Sept 1 2003 WT: Is There Only One 'True Church'?

by Mary 45 Replies latest jw friends

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

G'day Mary,

So, the end is still "right around the corner"??!! Far be it from me to ignore such a welcome event, but it seems to me that the Borg wants "their cake, and eat it too".

For some years I've failed to understand how the changed "generation" teaching harmonises with the WTS's claim that Armageddon is really close and "time is running out". Without a fixed time scale for a generation as they formerly did have, how on earth can they justify such a claim? Yet many of the R&F, especially the "old-timers", continue to "bear witness" to the closeness of the end without making any change that reflects changed Borg teaching. Without a fixed time length for a generation, the Borg can only instruct its members "to keep the day close in mind" as Jesus commanded. But isn't that also orthodox christian teaching?

Cheers, Ozzie

• Mary
    Mary
    So, the end is still "right around the corner"??!!

Oooooh yes it is!! They SAID so! So it MUST be true!!

For some years I've failed to understand how the changed "generation" teaching harmonises with the WTS's claim that Armageddon is really close and "time is running out". Without a fixed time scale for a generation as they formerly did have, how on earth can they justify such a claim?

Well obviously you haven't been paying "close attention" to the latest bullshit "present truths". They now claim that the "generation" that Jesus was talking about "apparently" refers to people living at a certain time. That's about as vague a prophecy as you can get. And of course when you look around at world conditions they are "confident" that the Big A is gonna come and get us all "reeeeeeeal soon".

Yet many of the R&F, especially the "old-timers", continue to "bear witness" to the closeness of the end without making any change that reflects changed Borg teaching.

That's because the "old-timers" who have invested 40, 50 60 or 70 years into this religion, do not want to admit that they've been taken for a ride. That's just part of the human psyche. No one wants to believe at the age of 70 that they sacrificed getting married, having children, grandchildren, a decent job and a nice home all for an Organization that has screwed them royally. Plus, the older you get, the more set you get in your ways and you don't like alot of change; especially all the change that would be involved if they suddenly decided to leave the Borg. It's kind of like a 60 year old woman who finds out that her husband has has a mistress for the last 20 years. What does she do? Does she leave him? She's invested probably 40 years into the marriage. They probably have children, grandchildren, a nice home, good retirement package. Is she going to throw all that away and be alone?

The Borg depends on this very thing. The more they can cut the outside world off from the R&F Witness, the better chance they have that you'll stay.

• unique1
    unique1

I always thought it was wierd that we told everybody at the doors to question their religion, but JW were never allowed to question theirs. Even as a young teen I found that to just be odd.

"Here's a quarter. Why do you go and buy yourself a Christian attitute."

CLASSIC!!!

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu
    Why not examine this [your religion] now? Jehovah's Witnesses will be happy to help you to do just that.

A couple of messages I'm getting from this:
    "We'll show you why your religion is wrong, but don't you dare show us why ours is wrong."
    "We'll not only help you examine your religion, but we'll show you how wrong it is and how perfect we are".

My question is, who in their right mind would fall for this? In my opinion, this is an incredibly childish and desperate way for the society to be begging for more members.

• rocketman
    rocketman
    My question is, who in their right mind would fall for this?

Good question. Thing is, we know how it works. Once they get you to "examine" the topic, the door is open for them to convert. Notice of course, as we all have, that they never come out and tell people this. Instead, they make it like they are simply there to be helpful in 'examining' a person's religion.

Mary, I think you'll do very well with those religious studies! You've very often made excellent, thought-provoking comments. Plus, your use of this feature is second to none!

• Mary
    Mary

Thanks!

• Reborn2002
    Reborn2002

heathen said:

the catholic church used to have the convert or die policy often using very cruel forms of punnishment on people who they accuse of heresy . The pope actually thinks he is the apostle peter . Talk about one f''''''d up religion .To me they are the whore of babylon .

to which mary replied:

Yep, the good ol' Catholic Church certainly has blood on her hands, that's for sure. However, the Witnesses are certainly not far behind. Today, they have the stay-or-we'll-destroy-your life policy using very cruel forms of punishment on people accused of "apostasy".

Despite the very relevant points mary raised regarding current practices of dividing families, shunning, and humiliating which leads to depression and suicide, let us not forget that the Watchtower Society and the religion known as Jehovah's Witnesses have stated doctrine in their previous magazines which to date have not been rescinded that suggest that the Watchtower and Jehovah's Witnesses still wish they could physically kill unbelievers.

*** Nov 15, 1952 Watchtower ***

Questions from Readers

· In the case of where a father or mother or son or daughter is disfellowshiped, how should such person be treated by members of the family in their family relationship?-P. C., Ontario, Canada.

We are not living today among theocratic nations where such members of our fleshly family relationship could be exterminated for apostasy from God and his theocratic organization, as was possible and was ordered in the nation of Israel in the wilderness of Sinai and in the land of Palestine. "Thou shalt surely kill him; thy hand shall be first upon him to put him to death, and afterwards the hand of all the people. And thou shalt stone him to death with stones, because he hath sought to draw thee away from Jehovah thy God, . . . And all Israel shall hear, and fear, and shall do no more any such wickedness as this is in the midst of thee."-Deut. 13:6-11, AS.

Being limited by the laws of the worldly nation in which we live and also by the laws of God through Jesus Christ, we can take action against apostates only to a certain extent, that is, consistent with both sets of laws . The law of the land and God's law through Christ forbid us to kill apostates, even though they be members of our own flesh-and-blood family relationship . However, God's law requires us to recognize their being disfellowshiped from his congregation, and this despite the fact that the law of the land in which we live requires us under some natural obligation to live with and have dealings with such apostates under the same roof.

Just food for thought. If the Watchtower Society happily writes and supports rules which break up families, kill children and others via an ever-changing blood doctrine, and shield pedophiles to protect the image of the organization to the public.. what makes you think they would not kill unbelievers or those who can expose them for a lie if they could get away with it?

They would.

• Mary
    Mary

Thanks for bringing that out Reborn. I actually did think of that when I was doing that post, but I didn't know exactly where it was written. You're right. I truly believe that Crooklyn WOULD kill "apostates" if it were legal. Nice Christian attitude on their part eh?

• acsot
    acsot

unique1 said:
    “I always thought it was wierd that we told everybody at the doors to question their religion, but JW were never allowed to question theirs.”

I remember a few years ago, as the cognitive dissonance was building up in my own mind, we were attempting to preach, that is, sell literature, to a Muslim man who was adamant about not taking any of our literature (there were a lot of Muslims in my former congregation's territory, almost all with the same response when we knocked on their doors). After asking how the call went, the other JWs in the car group just shook their heads at how misguided those poor Muslims are and how controlled their actions are. I thought to myself: “They’re acting exactly as we would act. If anyone can understand where they’re coming from, it should be us.” Well, needless to say alarm bells started going off in my head and try as I could, they wouldn’t shut off.

Another time during the Service Meeting there was a part dealing with the internet. A paragraph mentioned the dangers of doing Biblical research using the internet as well as the ever-present all-encompassing power of apostate writings, and ended with the phrase that Jehovah's people will learn the truth where and when the WTS decides. My gut reaction was "like hell I will!". That day I knew I was on my way out.

• hooberus
    hooberus
    Of course, the underlying assumption is that the true religion is embodied in a single organization that one must find and become part of in order to please God.

Unfortunately, the Bible does not support that assumption. The Truth is a Person, not an organization.

John 14:6: "Jesus answered, 'I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. '"

good points Neonmadman

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit