How Sad

by Ariell 67 Replies latest jw friends

• DannyBear
    DannyBear

Ng,

I think by your response you understood my 'unresolved issues' meant with the wtbs. And yeah I got plenty of my own.

**** I feel like a piece of crap sitting there. The hardest part is the looking away when eye contact is made.****

Jw's love to spout off about the parable of the prodigal son. Funny how the father upon immediately seeing his errant son approaching home, threw open his arms, invited everyone over for a big home coming party, and simply made it very easy for the son to return to his family.

There really is little excuse one can find for the 'shunning policy' of jehovah's witnesses.

Instead of encouraging your resolve to return, it has had an oppisite affect on you. That should be a 'bell ringer' when trying to decide if they are in fact what they claim to be..........'the truth'.

Again thanks for clarifying your 'issues'.

Danny

• northern girl
    northern girl

wilyolman:

In a post on a previous page here you made reference to institutions etc. that are there to help the handicapped. Then you say "your tax dollars at work". Do you have a problem with MY tax dollars helping the truly 'needy' among us?

northern girl

• willyloman
    willyloman

No, I'm delighted our tax dollars are going to help the disabled and disadvantaged because if we had to rely on the WTS and its teachings, none of them would get any practical aid. Here's what I said earlier:

I am certainly not suggesting his life is perfect or without pain. But because of the institutions and organizations that exist to help and support disabled people (your tax dollars at work), he has more genuine hope and optimism than the wheel-chair bound person who may sit in the back of your local kingdom hall every week, you know, the one who makes everyone uncomfortable and is largely ignored by the congregants.

My point was simply that the world, through taxes (and other charities) cares more for these people than the organization does, despite the lip service paid to "community service" and "helping others" and "love for our neighbors."

• wasasister
    wasasister

NG: I'm glad this topic was brought back to the first page, because I've been thinking about it, and you, for days. Some of the things you said really touched me and I think the subject deserves a new thread, as this one got side-tracked from the original issue (as is very often the case).

What I would like to discuss with you seperately is this:

You have a good history as a JW - your congregation was warm and loving, you were not shunned for being educated, you want that "extended family" feeling back. My past, at least the earlier years, is similar.

Yet, your "hope" of eternal life on a perfect new earth is dependent NOT on scripture alone, but on how the Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses interprets scripture. Other religions, Catholics, Jews, Baptists, Mormons, and others have a different idea of the afterlife, the future, and Bible dogma. Also, ALL of these groups have members who have experienced what you and I did as a member of a warm, loving and supportive group.

So then, in order for your individual hope to be based on anything, you must have faith that the GB is correct that:

They are the fulfillment of the Faithful and Discreet Slave, dispensing food at the proper time to God's people

That Christ returned invisibly in 1914 and bestowed above honor on above group shortly thereafter

That there is only ONE way to be acceptable to Jehovah and thus survive at Armageddon - by accepting ALL the teachings of Jehovah's earthly servant.

If any of these things is wrong, then your hope is based on nothing.

It's not as frightening as you think to examine these questions. Let's do so on another thread.

I am leaving on a business trip for a few days and will return Sunday night. I will be available to respond at that time.

Until then, best wishes.

Wasa

• jgnat
    jgnat

L'Arche is a notable example of Christendom at work. http://www.larchecanada.org/frset1c.html

Our Mission :

• TO CREATE HOMES where faithful relationships based on forgiveness and celebration are nurtured;

• TO REVEAL EACH PERSON’S UNIQUE VALUE AND THE GIFT THAT EACH PERSON HAS TO OFFER TO OTHERS;

• TO CHANGE SOCIETY by choosing to live relationships in community as a sign to the wider society that hope and love are possible.

• Based on The Beatitudes of Jesus who taught that those who are poor are also rich in some way. People with developmental disabilities, for instance, often have a real capacity to welcome and accept others, and to call people together around them. In L’Arche this reality is experienced through relationships lived out in daily life.

• Ecumenical, respectful and welcoming of people of faiths other than Christianity. (In L’Arche in Canada, Jewish and Muslim members are helped to live their faith and attend their own synagogue or mosque.)

• Encourages each member to grow in his/her own faith tradition.

• Also welcomes people with no religious affiliation.

• northern girl
    northern girl

jgnat:

I read your post just now. I've never heard of this L'arche society before. How does it relate to me? I'm not complaining about your posting it, just don't know the relevance.

northern girl

• northern girl
    northern girl

willyloman:

Thanks for clearing that up. Sometimes I have very thin skin.

northern girl

• jgnat
    jgnat

Northern Girl: institutions there to help the handicapped. An example.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit