WATCHTOWER WARNING: Mobile Phones

by DevonMcBride 42 Replies latest jw friends

• mustang
    mustang

This is NOT A RELIGION FOR ADULTS!!!!!!!

(It's not just the topic being for "kids"; they don't treat any adult in accordance with theri age, either.)

Mustang

• Satanus
    Satanus
    Our Christian meetings and ministry are the "appointed time" for worshiping God, not for using the phone. Restaurant and theater managers often request that their clients refrain from using mobile phones. We respectfully comply with such requests. Surely the Sovereign of the universe deserves no less respect!

Yah well, that reminds me of the 3 or 4 day elder school sessions that kent got on full audio. It seems that either a mole carried one in and kept it on through it all, or somebody planted one somewhere inside. Anyway, some of us apostates got it all in mp3 format, not that i had the stomach to actually listen to much of it Heh heh. Not sure if they are still up at wtobserver.

SS

• one
    one

No warning about radio frequency radiation.. a danger with no age discrimination .

WT seem more carefull before 'talking' about what they don't know (aluminum) or

they may be reluctant to increse the number of enemies (mobile phone industry).

What did the WT say about the prior, older 'danger', alphanumeric pagers?

• pamkw
    pamkw

The footnote is what got me. Talking on the phone could be seen as dating. It seems they are a little paranoid that boys and girls might speak to each other. Oh Sorry! I forgot, young people don't talk, they just do everything else.

• SYN
    SYN
    Some youths thus use mobile phones to establish secret contact with those of the opposite sex.

Yep, that's what I spend 90% of my time on my mobile doing...LMAO..chatting up girls, hehehehehe...

• Simon
    Simon

he he ... the last meeting I went to, I hooked up to the internet using my mobile phone and a pocket PC - I even made a post from the meeting (I'm claiming a 'first and only' for that).

I would like to take a phone and laptop with a little cam (maybe wireless link to something hooked up in the car) and do a 'live broadcast' from the meeting ... maybe the memorial

• Xandria
    Xandria

Maybe they are afraid of the vibration mode...?

X

• Room 215
    Room 215

What infantile twaddle... other than their potential-- heaven forfend-- to disturb the collective somnolence of a congregation at a meeting, how is a cell phone any more of a problem than overuse of a home phone?

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I think it is obvious that The Holy Spirit(tm) has instructed them that now is the appropriate time to sell Nokia stock short.

• Jourles
    Jourles

Let's see how the WTS twists these quotes to fit their understanding...

From the WT website:

"Text messaging means that no one can monitor what [young people] are doing," says The Daily Telegraph of London. Not seeing or hearing the other party can affect you. "Some feel that a text message is a more neutral way to communicate," observes Timo. "In a message some may write things that they would consider too bold to say face-to-face."

This is from the actual article:

Because the text messaging services on mobiles offer a secret way of keeping in touch, the days of furtive notes in the classroom are dying out, interviews with 2,019 young people aged seven to 16 found. Tony Lees, of NOP, said: "Text messaging means that no one can monitor what they are doing and a whole sub-language has developed to allow kids to message each other.The great advantage is secrecy. The kids we interviewed said the teacher often hasn't a clue what is going on."

Examples include "cya" meaning "see you", "lol" meaning "laughs out loud" and "2nite", an abbreviation of "tonight", all based on shorthand phrases used on the internet.

The WT makes it appear that anyone, most likely parents, cannot intercept or read what their kids are writing in secret. "Not seeing or hearing the other party" can also be passed on to email, which the Society uses internally. Not to mention that is the defacto standard of communication within all major businesses today. What about two-way alphanumeric pagers? Teaching kids to use these types of communications standards can only help them prepare for the future once they begin their careers.

The WT continues saying that "some may write things that they would consider too bold to say face-to-face." But, the real article is simply referring to kids no longer passing notes in class and using their phones instead. Back in the day when kids passed notes, if they were caught, the teacher would sometimes read the note out loud trying to embarrass the student from doing it again. It continues saying that examples of these secret messages include a shorthand type of phone-speak such as "cya," often meaning "see you later." (CYA takes on a different meaning once you hit the workplace)

The WT never alludes to the fact either that text messaging is used far more in Japan and the UK than it is in the USA. Using the name "Keiko" tells me that they used a young Japanese sister as their test study subject. Well, Japan leads the way in text messaging over any other country in the world. Europe follows closely behind. It is still trying to gain popularity in the USA as in other countries. I can see why the WT used a sister with a Japanese name of "Keiko." It would be the same as using a Russian name of Ivan warning of the dangers of potato mashing to make vodka. Use a name from a country which leads the production or use of something.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2000/07/17/nfone17.xml

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit