Are most Jdubs narcicistic? Does the religion breed narcicistic behaviors?

by Whynot 11 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Whynot
    Whynot

https://pro.psychcentral.com/exhausted-woman/2015/05/15-narcissistic-religious-abuse-tactics/

I read the above posted article and it made me wonder how many narcicistic people join the Borg because it fits well with their personality. I also wonder if being indoctrinated makes you become narcicistic.

Before I started to fade I began to notice that I was very judgemental and kind of an a**hole but I remember feeling like it was a good thing. I have decided to change but I feel like I still have some narcicistic traits. I always felt that I learned these behaviors from my parents since they are hardcore narcicists and so are my siblings. But now I think I also learned it from pretty much being raised around a bunch of narcicistic jdubs.

I'm convinced the GB definitely has all these traits and they display it in the wt articles with all the BS they say.

I'm still processing the information in this article. My husband is DFed and used to be an elder and he is extremely narcicistic as well as his father who also got DFed. And OMG! I am trying to be a better person and it seems like I couldn't accomplish this while being a jdub.

What has been everyone else's experiences?

• snugglebunny
    snugglebunny

All that behavioural stuff and fear of sinning makes a person overly self-aware IMHO. So yes, this will spill over into normal life and could well result in a person becoming manipulative and narcissistic.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

When the GB and the Society in general feel they speak for the Almighty himself - or are his channel here on earth, that no doubt fuels an arrogance or narcissistic tendency.

It takes a certain level of conceit to think you are Gods spokesperson or channel....

After all, how can anyone or anything dare to disregard the "Almighty"?

• snugglebunny
    snugglebunny
    It takes a certain level of conceit to think you are Gods spokesperson or channel....

I recall how my own parents would often exclaim when confronted by a relative furious at losing our family to the WT religion: "I am a servant of the most high God!"

Eeyuk...

• Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho
    Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho

All Witnesses fall short of the perfect standard they're held to by the Organization's teachings and culture. The subconscious fear of congregational discovery and subsequent judgement, coupled by the deadening discomfort of impending destruction at Armageddon creates a cocktail of psychological dysfunction. A few bow under pressure and become the depressive types who you see burning out along the way. And a great deal find comfort in pure deflection. In order to avoid confronting their own heinous imperfections, they project all of their indiscretions and shortcomings onto others, thereby absolving themselves from any negative attention. The position of constantly looking for and pointing out the faults of others as a diversion from taking stock of their own is the core element of Narcissistic Personality Disorder.

• ttdtt
    ttdtt

Yes.

If you are THE CHOSEN PEOPLE of god, you can become narcissistic.

If you just made it out of High School, but are constantly told you have the BEST education in the world, you can become narcissistic. (partly a defense mechanism for knowing you are a loser)

If you are in the know and the rest of the world isn't. You can become narcissistic.

This effects most to some degree.

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

Yes and yes. It is a narcissism factory. It attracts narcissists as employees and churns out little ones.

I remember my wife asking me for something when we were married for the first many years. She didn't know the word for it and neither did I. I would later find out as I read self-help books that the word was "empathy". I barely even saw other people, certainly lacked the ability to perspective take, and had no clue how to get there. I'm now quite good at it, spoken like a narcissist, lol.

It's hard not to be narcissists when you're God's chosen people but you're also a worthless piece of crap that has to struggle against your very nature daily to possibly be saved from this worthless existence in a world that doesn't matter. You can easily become consumed with yourself to the exclusion of everyone around. There's a great book called The Narcissistic Family that nailed the family I grew up in and helped me.

• Giordano
    Giordano

The plain common sense of a blue collar longshoreman and social philosopher Eric Hoffer addresses this compulsion in his book The True Believer.

The true believer is apt to see himself as one of the chosen, the salt of the earth, the light of the world, a prince disguised in meekness, who is destined to inherit this earth and the kingdom of heaven, too. He who is not of his faith is evil; he who will not listen shall perish.
    When we believe ourselves in possession of the only truth, we are likely to be indifferent to common everyday truths.

Dubstepped said it best " It is a narcissism factory. It attracts narcissists as employees and churns out little ones.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Of course JWS are narcissistic , they been mentally programed to think they are most righteous people in god's eyes living on the planet, they've been told that this is Jehovah's chosen organization, not any Jewish sect, not any other Christian based sect, essentially they are it .

Of course the truth is something quite different from both a Jewish and Christian perspective.

What they really are are supporters toward false prophet charlatans.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

They have "THE TRUTH", which therefore says that everyone else has "Untruth"

Naturally, this creates a conceited , narcissistic complex....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit