586/587 the K.I.S.S. approach --- no VAT4956, Ptolemy, Josephus needed

by Alleymom 147 Replies latest watchtower bible

• JCanon
    JCanon
    The names and regnal lengths of the Neo-Babylonian kings are known.

Sorry, wish it were that simple, but it's not. The Babylonian records give one set of dates, but other references give different dates for these kings, including the Bible. So if you're saying lets just go with the post-dated records for these kings without question from the Seleucid Period and late Persian period, then you'll come up with one simple chronology; and those are well-documented.

Problem is, it is these very documents that are in contest for being accurate and we have other sources telling us differently regarding these kings.

For one; Josephus in Antiquities, as stated, claims 70 years from the 23rd year of Nebuchadnezzar to to the 1st of Cyrus. That contradicts the Babylonian records. And even though he contradicts himself here and there, he did mention that Ewil-Merodach ruled for 18 years.

#2: The Bible claims that "Darius the Mede" began to reign in Babylon immediately after the overthrow by the "Medes and the Persians" though Cyrus led the attack, and it dates his rule as being 6 years. The Babylonian records don't recognize this 6-year rule at all, though they casually identify him with both the overthrow of Babylon and a governorship in Babylon for 14 years.

#3: Plus the Bible gives different dating as well for this entire period, but specifically a 45-year rule of Nebuchadnezzar versus a 43-year rule.

So..true...NO PROBLEM..simply adding up the years, but are you going to use the Bible, Josephus or the Babylonian records?

Thus the problem is not calculating the rulerships, but WHO TO BELIEVE? The Bible or the pagan records? Keeping in mind the critical documents are known "copies" and thus suspected of being revised, so?

Thanks, but it's not that simple. It's not listing the kings, it's WHOSE LIST do we believe? There is more than one list.

Canon

• JCanon
    JCanon

And in summary....

This chronology using the Babylonian records of the kingships is a well-established chronology, but it is precisely the one being criticized because it does not agree with the Bible's chronology nor that of Josephus.

The fact that it was mentioned that there are "tens of thousands of documents" supporting the Babylonian rulership is also a misconception and is circumstantially irrelevant in this case. Why? Because the claim is that the Babylonian revision involved a REDUCTION in the years of these kings, including the complete suppression of the 6-year rule of a king named Darius, the Mede. In that case, presuming there was a revision, then the records for those extra years would have been destroyed. That means all the archives in Babylon and Persia which were kept in one place, and all the records maintained at that time by the entire population. So it wouldn't matter if tens of thousands of the records that never needed to be destroyed still survive, they wouldn't prove anything but the reduced years, not the original extended years.

But of note, out of those tens of thousands of documents, which can be redated to any year you want, they are only relative dating, where are the ASTRONOMICAL TEXTS? Astronomical texts give you ABSOLUTE DATING. Where are they? Where are the tens of thousands of astronomical texts to add to those business records to support this chronology? Guess what? There MYSTERIOUSLY MISSING!

Furthermore, as I said, all those tens of thousands of documents that simply record events during certain years of the reign of those kings in the years not contested, don't give you specific dating. A text that says "year 37 of Nebuchadnezzar, I bought three sheep from the palace" doesn't give you the year. But if it said..."and in the fifth month there was a total eclipse of the sun and it got dark for 1 hour and 20 minutes...and I was at Babylon"....THEN you've got something!!! You can match that up to only so many possible actual years.

Thus the SIGNIFICANCE of astronomical texts in this debate is not a background item. Case in point the VAT4956 which is considered critical since it gives over 70 astronomical references to year 568BCE dated to year 37 of Nebuchadnezzar!! Therefore, you are FORCED to date year 37 in 568BCE....period! Per this text. And that is precisely what the chronologist have done.

How does the WTS get around this? Well, they claim the document comes fromt he Seleucid Period and it only reflected, therefore, the popular chronology. Is that a legit argument? YUP! Anybody could have taken the astronomical information from 568BCE and created a new document and put any king's year on it they wanted. The fact that we know from this text particularly that the astronomical information existed during the Persian Period but is now missing, leads us to believe these texts were destroyed during that period. But why? Obviously to prevent correction of the chronology being revised.

Now....that was a THEORY until the VAT4956 was reexamined with modern astronomical programs and it was discovered that some "errors" in the text actually are coordinated to the same year.

Do you REALIZE what I'm saying here?

Line 3 shows the Moon 1 cubit in front of the RFL. No match for 568BCE. Sachs/Hunger noted that. It's too early.

Line 14, the same thing. A no match for 568BCE for the moon 1 cubit in front of the bright star behind the Lion's foot.

Two errors? Two scribal errors? in a text with over 70 other accurate references? Perhaps. If the errors were simply haphazard. BUT....

BOTH lunar positions in Line 3 and 14 are to the SAME lunar cycle in a different year, namely 511BCE!!

So what do we have here?

Hello?

How about us discovering an attempt by the astronomers who were destroying all the other original astronomical texts, to use this "diary" in order to hide at least one reference to the original chronology for the reign of Nebuchadnezzar? Now that would explain it, right? It gives over a hundred references to the revised chronology for year 37 of Nebuchadnezzar, as a front to cover a few secret references to the original chronology. But they got caught red handed.

Thus do we believe the VAT4956 is a reliable reference to 568BCE. Not any more. You can see how the Persians are manipulating the texts.

Since 511BCE seems to be the implied original chronology for the Babylonian period, therefore, and 568BCE DEFINITELY is a fake date per this text, then is 511BCE a reliable date for year 37 of Nebuchadnezzar.

Well, it's far more reliable than 568BCE, of course, since we know the Persians were lying about that date. Question is now only does 511BCE make any sense in any other chronology?

Well, that doesn't even matter. All I suppose that is critical is simply comparing various chronologies using the 511BCE dating for year 37 of Nebuchadnezzar, which you get the following to do with as you please. Now this is DIRECTLY from the text.

Year 37 -= 511BCE

Year 19 = 529 BCE

Year 23 = 525 BCE

Those are the corrected dates for the reign of Nebuchadnezzar per the VAT4956 which proves that 568BCE was faked.

These are dates without reference to the Bible or Josephus. Just a direct reference for the reign of Nebuchadnezzar.

And what about tens of thousands of business documents "from all over Babylon" (yeah right!) that prove this? NOTHING. Those documents, those legitimate documents, as I said, can be dated to any prevailing chronology. A text that shows a business transaction in "year 37" of Nebuchadnezzar works in 568BCE or 511BCE. That's why even bringing up the "relative" chronology texts in a discussion dealing with dating doesn't speak strongly for the argument.

But I don't get it anyway. If the Bible says that there were 70 years from the last deportation until the first of Cyrus and the Babylonian records say otherwise, then that proves the Babylonian records were revised. To presume the pagan records are more reliable than the Bible is nonsense to begin with...BUT...if you did want to put both on an even scale and try to resolve the issue, it has now been resolved. The VAT4956 is EVIDENCE that the original year for Nebuchadnezzar fell in 511BCE. That date does not disagree with the Bible dating which also dates his 37th year in 511BCE.

So...at this point...it's not a matter of debate, really, but simply being misinformed.....right?

I don't see any choice here.

If you go with the Bible, you'll have to date year 37 of Nebuchadnezzar in 511BCE.

If you go with the latest Babylonian text research, you'll have to date year 37 of Nebuchadnezzar in 511BCE.

So what basis do you have for any other dating?

I don't get it.

• JCanon
    JCanon

Just to comment briefly on Alan's position:

AlanF said: Because it clobbers 1914 as a "significant date in Bible prophecy" and as a result, clobbers the claim of JW leaders to have been appointed "over all Christ's belongings" in 1919. In other words, it proves that they're false teachers, and therefore the very "false prophets" that Jesus said to avoid -- Luke 21:8, etc.

This, indeed, is a reasonable conclusion to come to, EXCEPT, that the Bible indicates the temple organization that would indeed be considered God's organization, whatever, would indeed contain false prophets! In fact, the organization God would use to preach the good news would be the very same organization that would produce both "wheat and weeds", "sheep and goats" and most importantly the "evil slave" and the "man of lawlessness", that entity making itself a god in god's own house. The only way to make yourself a god in god's house is to be in charge of that house and to dominate it and that means being it's leader. So, just because there are some false prophesies connected with this organization, does not necessarily mean this organization is still not "God's organization" to be used.

The direct reference here is the parable of the wheat and weeds, where first was planted quality wheat but then, before the wheat even came up, that is, before the organization really became that visible, Satan planted "weeds". Thus from the very beginning the weeds were present with the wheat in the organization. This was the Freemasonry linked Russell and Rutherford influence in the organization where Rurtherford claimed that Russell, a man, was the "faithful slave". So definitely weeds here. But what did God do? Separate out the weeds then? Was that the plan? No. He was going to LET THE WEEDS AND WHEAT GROW TOGETHER until the time of the harvest, and thus near the end of the generation is when he'd separate out the wheat from the weeds, i.e. the Good witnesses from the Fake witnesses, and kick out the leaders as the "evil slave".

So, per critical Bible application, if you were going to look for Jehovah's organization in operation today in the earth, you would look for advanced understanding in scripture, true, but also understand that the leaders would eventually become corrupt and teach falsehood. So actually, lookin for a FALSE PROPHET leader is one way to find the "true religion". I know that sounds strange, but that must be included.

So it turns out Alan's analogy, while superficially correct, is not specifically correct. Thus, even if you prove 607BCE is the wrong date (which it is, but so is 587BCE) for the fall of Jerusalem, and other prophesies are wrong, it still doesn't mean that this is not God's organization.

Not in the least. The fact is that nothing that the Watchtower predicted would happen in 1914 happened. What we call "World War I" occurred, but the Society certainly didn't predict it.

I'm afraid I'll have to agree with AlanF here. Indeed, 1914 didn't turn out to relate to anything the WTS claimed, save for one thing. That is, in the Bible the very first sign of the "last generation" is "kingdom against kingdom and nation against nation" which means a global conflict, thatis, more than one kingdom fighting at a time. Thus the "last generation" was to begin with a world war. Thus, you have in 1914 a "wheat/weed" understanding. Part of it is true and should be focused on since it did mark the beginning of the "last generation". But it was not the other things they claimed such as the end of the gentile times or the second coming. Point being, 1914 is still a Biblically significant date from some witnesses who dismiss other of the WTS' applications to that date. Same point with 1874--nothing is correct per what the WTS claims of it, but they did focus on that date and Biblically it does mark a Noacian generation of 120 years for the same 80-year generation that ends from 1914 in 1994. So....

I'm afraid the witnesses must still be in the running for being "God's organization", even though, indeed, they are the organization out of which produces the "evil slave".

Canon

• Winston Smith :>D
    Winston Smith :>D

Brilliant post Marjorie. One can't beat the K.I.S.S. method. Especially when using the WTS lit. It may get some JW doubting if they have to believe everything the GB says.

Winston.

• undercover
    undercover
    Sorry, wish it were that simple, but it's not. The Babylonian records give one set of dates, but other references give different dates for these kings, including the Bible. So if you're saying lets just go with the post-dated records for these kings without question from the Seleucid Period and late Persian period, then you'll come up with one simple chronology; and those are well-documented.

Problem is, it is these very documents that are in contest for being accurate and we have other sources telling us differently regarding these kings.

This chronology using the Babylonian records of the kingships is a well-established chronology, but it is precisely the one being criticized because it does not agree with the Bible's chronology nor that of Josephus.

You can argue all day about the records being correct or not, but her point is that the WTS accepts the Babylonian records and by using those records you can disprove their own 607 theory. It doesn't matter if the records are right or not. The WTS has accepted them as right. If the records are wrong then the WTS has accepted wrong information as correct. I don't think God's earthly organization would be allowed to make that kind of mistake. If the records are correct, then the WTS chronology trying to prove 607 to 1914 is wrong. Either way, they have erred and obviously do not know as much about Bible history or chronology as they pretend. Would God allow his true worshippers to be that confused and allow them to broadcast false information as gospel truth?

• Francois
    Francois

Island Woman's reasoning "ability" results in the same sad end result as does the work of the censor - a doily for the mind. I suppose that kind of result fits the fits and starts of HER mind, but few else.

IW is a legend in her own mind.

• IslandWoman
    IslandWoman

Island Woman's reasoning "ability" results in the same sad end result as does the work of the censor - a doily for the mind. I suppose that kind of result fits the fits and starts of HER mind, but few else.

IW is a legend in her own mind.

Francois,

Is that the only contribution you can make to this thread? A stupid snide remark? No, Francois I am no legend, I only speak as I see. If you have a problem with that then it is in your mind not mine.

What's the matter? RF not around to start that famous debate you promised? Or is it the usual kiss up to your idols here?

Don't hijack the thread, man.

IW

• Pleasuredome
    Pleasuredome

the only thing is is that for 587bc to be right, where do the 70 years of sabaths that the land had to pay back fit in?

i personally dont think that the fall of jerusalem is the start of the 'gentile times'. i think it's when pure worship was restored in the newly built temple, which would take the WTS method of calculation to 2005 for the end of the gentile times. 7 years of tribulation would take us to 2012 which would fit in nicely with the maya time line.

• Pleasuredome
    Pleasuredome

double post

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

If the truth requires the mind-bending examination of hundreds of artifacts - then God is being selfish in regards to those that would have no access to those artifacts or histories.

The truth is simple, easily explained, and requires no backup because it is self-validating. So simple that god could cause a stone to teach it to you.

We work hard - treat your neighbors well - do what we find out that we are good at - serve God and pray.

End of story. Put not your faith in these carved tablets. They didn't save their writers. The Bible does not save you. Only being a good, kind, reasonable person will.

CZAR

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit