Women's March on Washington

by azor 58 Replies latest jw friends

• azor
    azor

My support is with the marchers in Washington and around the country today. I was raised through my formative years by my mother and sister while my father was out of the picture. They gave me the compassion I have today. I'm married to a wonderful woman, have a lovely daughter, and have a niece I love to pieces who happens to also be lesbian.

Attention needs to be kept for however long it's necessary on the misogynistic nature of this man. What we are seeing is stirred Mama bears. You don't mess with them, and he has. I believe that what we're seeing is just the beginning. It's often been said that America is like a sleeping tiger, and that you tread at your own risk by shaking a stick at it. I believe the appropriate description at this time is that America is an angry Mama bear.

• Simon
    Simon

So all these women, walking about, to protest one mans views about women?

But his views were well known and well publicized before the election where many women voted for him, so why the marching?

Any why all the votes for Clinton, linked to so many regimes that are actually barbaric in their treatment of women, where there are genuine "rape cultures".

• azor
    azor

Wow Simon you surprise me. It seems you don't agree with protesting. And to go where you just did in such a simplistic way about rape culture in other parts of the world. Really.

• Simon
    Simon

So you have nothing to say to actually counter it? You resort to "really, I can't believe you said that" attempt to dismiss it?

I think protesting can be effective if there is something actually being protested - a war for instance or desire for some equality under the law. Something where a policy can be changed.

This all just seems to be rather vacuous in nature. Do people imagine it will undo the election and Trump won't be president anymore?

• azor
    azor

I responded to this in my other post. I didn't know you were starting this one when I started the other. Some may believe it will undo the presidency, and that doesn't undermine the main cause or what it will accomplish. Sometimes it's not about changing policy it's about protecting what we have.

One of my favorite sayings used by both sides of the aisle, is all evil takes to spread is for good people to stand by and do nothing. This man is a narcissistic demagogue. In world history these types start small and as far as I know always turn into dictators.

We have a republic that has been deteriorated over the years by both sides. Very similar to our environment. It is weaker now than it has been at any time other than the mid 19th century, and we know how that worked out.

• Simon
    Simon
    Some may believe it will undo the presidency, and that doesn't undermine the main cause or what it will accomplish.

Well it does. I'm asking what it will accomplish and how it will be declared successful. I think it will be declared such, just because it happened. Participation trophies all-round and group hugs. But nothing actually changes.

Sometimes it's not about changing policy it's about protecting what we have.

That's still rather nebulous - what exactly is being taken away? It sounds a little like having an anti-war march just to say you don't like the general concept, even though there isn't one on the horizon.

One of my favorite sayings used by both sides of the aisle, is all evil takes to spread is for good people to stand by and do nothing. This man is a narcissistic demagogue. In world history these types start small and as far as I know always turn into dictators.

That's because it's a famous quote attributed to Kennedy / Edmund Burke:

The Only Thing Necessary for the Triumph of Evil is that Good Men Do Nothing

We have a republic that has been deteriorated over the years by both sides. Very similar to our environment. It is weaker now than it has been at any time other than the mid 19th century, and we know how that worked out.

And the left have contributed to that decline as much as anyone has. Clintons, Obama - all part of the same machine and should own the collective failure.

The people wanted change, they voted for Trump because he appeared to be a wrecking ball.

The left had the opportunity to take part in this but instead decided to serve up the cold corpse of Clinton as their answer to people wanting change.

Now people on that side regret their choice and have misplaced anger so marching gives them an outlet and is encouraged by the leaders who don't want the populace to wise up to their failures.

• azor
    azor

You believe it does undermine the cause huh. I can understand you saying you think it will. Some things have small beginnings. I don't know what will come out if this march a week from now, a month from now, much less a year from now. And neither do you.

• Simon
    Simon
    I don't know what will come out if this march a week from now, a month from now, much less a year from now. And neither do you.

No, but I've seen what came out of similar rhetoric for the past 8 years: President Trump

The left seems to be doubling-down on the crazy instead of waking up to reality.

• azor
    azor

I don't think women marching in Washington is doubling down on crazy. Just like I think black men marching on it wasn't either. Nor do I think the Tea Party marching on Washington was. I agree the regressive left has it all wrong. However I believe we need to keep this man's assault on women as one of the key issues.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Just like I think black men marching on it wasn't either.

And what has improved as a result of that?

Black on black crime down?

Black fathers providing a family setting and being a role model for their children?

I truly hope some good resulted, but I haven't seen any clear evidence.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit