The Watchtower & the cigarette company

by expatbrit 207 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• avengers
    avengers

Excellent. I didn't see that one coming. I wonder what's in store next.

Andy

• hurt
    hurt

Brilliant!

Now, enter their spin doctors: it was a mistake.... they didn't know... they wouldn't have if they knew. And then, the UN scandal withdrawal thing? No. They can't forgo the millions, even if it's from cigarrettes. Rotten Hypocrites.

• Room 215
    Room 215

The local friends can be so naive; I well remember that one JW sold off shares of a strong performing mutual fund when he learned that one of its holdings was -- you guessed it -- Phillip Morris.

• Gerard
    Gerard
    How a Christian puts his money to work is for him to decide personally, just as how he works for a living is for him to decide. There is nothing contrary to Scriptural principles for him to let his money help him earn a livelihood. If he invests in stocks, no one should criticize him. He should, of course, be discreet about what stocks or bonds he buys. When he knows that a corporation is devoted entirely to manufacturing merchandise that is used for a morally wrong purpose, it would be improper for him to violate his conscience by investing money in the stock of that company. - Awake!, February 8, 1962, p. 23.

Very apropriate quote for the web page on their Rand Cam (Regi U.S.) stocks. You guys are beating the WT with their own stick!

Thanks.

• outnfree
    outnfree

Expat,

I see p.2 of the form now in all its glory - LOL -- and the quote, too.

For a religion which prides itself in understanding and applying Biblical PRINCIPLES, they certainly don't find it difficult to suspend principles when it comes to the Almighty Dollar!

outnfree

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

Oh man that is way to true outnfree!!!!!!

hawk (like in rapture)

• waiting
    waiting
    The initial quotes showed clearly that the Watchtower regards smoking as an unchristian activity. Indeed, smoking is a disfellowshipping offence for a Jehovah's Witness. A Jehovah's Witness is also not permitted to be employed in the tobacco industry, even to the extent of working at the cigarette serving counter of a store. There can be no doubt that if an individual Jehovah's Witness invested in the cigarette industry, the Watchtower would consider this an unchristian type of investment.

Yet, a trust which exists for the primary reason of generating income for the Watchtower, invests in a cigarette company. While the amount of the investment is small, it is not the amount that is the issue, but the principle: the Watchtower Society will benefit from an investment made in the tobacco industry.

They will do this knowingly, because if I can get hold of this information, do you really think that the Watchtower Society doesn't have a copy of these very same documents? And while the objection could be made that it is not actually the Watchtower Society itself making the investment, but just receiving the cash, is this a valid defence? If they know that the money is from a source they have condemned as unchristian, are they not hypocritical in receiving it? Remember that the sole purpose of this trust is to generate income for the Watchtower.

In fact, here is another example of the Watchtower's hypocrisy in matters of principle. That which they condemn other religions for, and restrict their individual followers from, becomes acceptable when it results in $$$ for the Watchtower Society itself. - expatbrit
    How a Christian puts his money to work is for him to decide personally, just as how he works for a living is for him to decide. There is nothing contrary to Scriptural principles for him to let his money help him earn a livelihood. If he invests in stocks, no one should criticize him. He should, of course, be discreet about what stocks or bonds he buys. When he knows that a corporation is devoted entirely to manufacturing merchandise that is used for a morally wrong purpose, it would be improper for him to violate his conscience by investing money in the stock of that company. - Awake!, February 8, 1962, p. 23.

"By their fruits you will know them." - The Bible

Thanks, expat! Great work. Glad you're on Our Side.

• Had Enough
    Had Enough

Wow Expat...I am impressed!!

Thanks for finding this blatant piece of hypocrisy and analyzing it in your Sherlock manner.

Just when I think I won't get upset anymore by the sneaky, underhanded, overbearing, intrusive, tyranical, "do-as-I-say-not-as-I-do type family-wreckers, something else comes along that strikes a nerve like this does.

Sometime, I hope within the next month or so, I am going to post someone's story of the disgraceful way this group of antiquated old poops has calously manipulated and caused a dear friend to live his last few years in hardship because of their inforcement of this unscriptural, man-made law.

Thank you Expat, for giving me the nudge I needed to tell this person's story for him. I will be forever grateful to him for the way he patiently helped me open my eyes and so needless to say, this bit of detective work you've done, will be of great interest to him and encourage him because, as others have already noted....this could very likely snowball into something verrrrry interesting.

Cheers,

Had Enough

• jwsons
    jwsons

Amen !

Well done Ex.

jwsons

• willyloman
    willyloman

Nice research, expat, and thank you Scully for the magazine quote that exposes the level of hypocrisy practiced by the organization. Several of you said none of this shocks you anymore, but rest assured these kinds of revelations have a 'shock and awe' impact on many newbies who are finding this site. It's unbelievable, isn't it, that we've wallowed in this poop for so long?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit